2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some notes below on Cole matched up against Jobe Shanahan who is rated one of the better tall forwards in the draft

Taking on arguably the toughest matchup in defence, Cole competed hard with high-marking forward Jobe Shanahan all day. He had the athleticism to go with him on the lead and did his best to either apply body contact or force a spoil as both players took to the air. Cole’s defensive diligence was adapted to suit ground level recovery and he was quite confident with ball in hand, either fending off opponents or bursting away on the rebound.

"Bursting away on rebound" .... but but .... all the experts on here are saying he can't rebound :think:

Shanahan kicked only 1 goal that day
Literally no one is saying that, it's just one person pushing that agenda and a couple of bandwagoners jumping on. The only issue with him is that he doesn't intercept as much as you'd like, but that can be developed once he's in the system

Cole definitely will not be a Steven May type distributor, but he's a solid kick and once he has a year or two of development at AFL/VFL level, he'll be reliable with ball in hand just like any other full back in the AFL - like how Dougal was taught to be more reliable with ball in hand even in his late 20s

I don't know why people are so obsessive over this topic, unless another club decides to go for a massive reach inside the top 30, at this point the club is 99.99% going to take Cole whether there's a bid or not

We don't need two top 5 picks in this draft. One is plenty. The quality ain't there IMO to have two bites at it.

If we get another top 5 pick I'd be trading out for next years draft. Even if it pushed out the development. Something I'm not keen but I do feel having two in this draft is a bit wasted.
Seems that all experts are calling this a very good draft, but even at the top. Some ripper mids which is exactly what we need

Literally no one is saying that, it's just one person pushing that agenda and a couple of bandwagoners jumping on. The only issue with him is that he doesn't intercept as much as you'd like, but that can be developed once he's in the system

Cole definitely will not be a Steven May type distributor, but he's a solid kick and once he has a year or two of development at AFL/VFL level, he'll be reliable with ball in hand just like any other full back in the AFL - like how Dougal was taught to be more reliable with ball in hand even in his late 20s

I don't know why people are so obsessive over this topic, unless another club decides to go for a massive reach inside the top 30, at this point the club is 99.99% going to take Cole whether there's a bid or not

If you read that article about him on the Saints’ website he’s played in various positions during his junior career. More recently in defence.

He’s probably trying to diligently do his job of stopping his man at this stage.

As you say, there’s plenty of time to learn, to gain confidence and to flourish.

Why wouldn’t you want the Vic Metro fullback who’s 195cm and growing and is gifted to us? The whole debate doesn’t make sense.
The debate is just tripe. Have seen him a few times at training and watched his Metro v Country champs. The commentators on numerous times praised his defensive efforts, his reading of the play and the timing in his leaving his man to spoil.

News flash, 18 y.o backman not yet fully developed. Who woulda thunk it?

The debate is just tripe. Have seen him a few times at training and watched his Metro v Country champs. The commentators on numerous times praised his defensive efforts, his reading of the play and the timing in his leaving his man to spoil.

Keep a lid on it, we don't want anyone bidding too early.

Is anyone watching the stingrays vs eastern game? I just watch the last minute of the third. Dandenong are smashing them.

Why wouldn’t you want the Vic Metro fullback who’s 195cm and growing and is gifted to us? The whole debate doesn’t make sense.

Didn't see anyone saying not to take him. More the debate about how excited we should be about getting him. Looks like a free hit but not like getting a top 20 talent or anything. He looks fine but not a super exciting prospect. Like Van Es or any other tall kid, he is worth a few years of development to see what he might become.

Hopefully he ends up being a star and this looks like a pointless conversation.

It's literally a debate over how people see a young player. He might be good he might not be. I don't understand why you guys can't have a discussion without having a cry when your option differs from someone else's.

Just because he's a next gen player doesn't mean there has to be consensus on how good he'll be.

It's literally a debate over how people see a young player. He might be good he might not be. I don't understand why you guys can't have a discussion without having a cry when your option differs from someone else's.

Just because he's a next gen player doesn't mean there has to be consensus on how good he'll be.
You're sooking it up about me adding to the 'debate', as you always do whenever anyone shuts down a similar opinion to yours. Jog on, fella

You're sooking it up about me adding to the 'debate', as you always do whenever anyone shuts down a similar opinion to yours. Jog on, fella

Gladly, anything not to read any more of this pearl clutching nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be careful Joffa, the self appointed defender of the self appointed experts will come after you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow this discussion has been worthy of the 'rath of joffa'. The tripe creator has never said we shouldnt recruit him, I am just suggesting there are much better players out there. But I gather thats a really hard pill to swallow for some, after all critiquing players and having a contrary opinion is not allowed on this site!

Im sure the club will take him at some stage, but hopefully its much later in the draft/rookie.

Last edited:
Be careful Joffa, the self appointed defender of the self appointed experts will come after you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff. Worth posting wasn't it.

Im sure the club will take him at some stage, but hopefully its much later in the draft/rookie.

Taking out your usual personal stuff, I agree, he will be taken later in the draft.

But that's not the point, you and gringo seem to take it personally when someone has a different opinion.

I have certainly been guilty of that in the past so I am no angel, attempt not to do it nowadays.
My opinion is not definitive, same as your and gringos.
We all want the same thing a successful STKFC. I just think to basically trash an 18.y.o suggesting he hasn't the skills to develop is premature to say the least.

I wonder what some on here would have posted about Wilkie in his draft year, or Sharman or many other mature age AFL players.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow this discussion has been worthy of the 'rath of joffa'. The tripe creator has never said we shouldnt recruit him, I am just suggesting there are much better players out there. But I gather thats a really hard pill to swallow for some, after all critiquing players and having a contrary opinion is not allowed on this site!

Of course there are much better players out there, that's why he isn't a first round hopeful. Your point is he should be taken late in the draft, and everyone is expecting him to be taken late in the draft

Also I completely disagree about Linder and Peckett being better options, they play in positions of quadruple the supply and have no attributes that suggest they make it at AFL level. Haven't been close to selection for Champs. Hofmann is just another one of those late picks who clubs take to fulfill a role without having much upside, like what Norf did with Jackson Archer and what we can hopefully do with McLennan too

Of course there are much better players out there, that's why he isn't a first round hopeful. Your point is he should be taken late in the draft, and everyone is expecting him to be taken late in the draft

Also I completely disagree about Linder and Peckett being better options, they play in positions of quadruple the supply and have no attributes that suggest they make it at AFL level. Haven't been close to selection for Champs. Hofmann is just another one of those late picks who clubs take to fulfill a role without having much upside, like what Norf did with Jackson Archer and what we can hopefully do with McLennan too

Thats fine, but at least you respond with reasonable points unlike some. The irony of all this is those who are arguing/abusing me on this, the majority havent seen the kid play they just read media reports or watch highlights. Perhaps thats how Elshaugh did his recruiting and why he was so woeful.

Given that this year is a very deep draft I hope the club attempts to use 5 picks at the draft. Say we take 3 active picks #4, 5 & 25 depending when Cole is bid on I would like to have another pick before of after Cole. I would love to take the whole 4 of the kids, but list spots are going to be a premium. Positional requirements will also come into play as apart from midfielders we could also do with a young ruckman and a tall forward.

All the experts are consistently saying there will be some very good players taken late in this draft. If Cole is taken in the draft lets hope we can sqeeze some of the other 3 onto the rookie list. Peckett and Linder have AFL midfield potential and are rookie options which is a list need. Hofmann is similiar to Hastie a tall flanker, which is less of a need but like Cole if the club rate him they will find a spot.

Taking out your usual personal stuff, I agree, he will be taken later in the draft.

But that's not the point, you and gringo seem to take it personally when someone has a different opinion.

I have certainly been guilty of that in the past so I am no angel, attempt not to do it nowadays.
My opinion is not definitive, same as your and gringos.
We all want the same thing a successful STKFC. I just think to basically trash an 18.y.o suggesting he hasn't the skills to develop is premature to say the least.

I wonder what some on here would have posted about Wilkie in his draft year, or Sharman or many other mature age AFL players.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats the most amusing post I have read coming from you Joffa. Do you ever walk past a mirror perhaps have a peak....

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back