2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oakleigh Chargers can't make the Coates League Finals which means O'Sullivan only has potentially 2 more games to make an impact ..... chances to make it to our pick??

Anyone interested??

Could be that Tigers take Jagga or O'Sullivan
North - Trainor
West Coast - ??
Adelaide - Draper
Saints - ??

Do West Coast take O'Sullivan if Tigers take Jagga?
I think it will go like this:

1.Tigers - Jagga
2.North - Trainor
3.West Coast - Smillie
4.Brisbane - Levi Ashcroft (Matched bid)
5.Adelaide - Draper
6.Saints - O'Sullivan
7.Saints - Langford

Really really unfortunate that Adelaide slipped below us so we couldn't force them to trade for that Draper selection.

1.Tigers - Jagga
2.North - Trainor
3.West Coast - Smillie
5.Adelaide - Draper
6.Saints - O'Sullivan
7.Saints - Langford

Really really unfortunate that Adelaide slipped below us so we couldn't force them to trade for that Draper selection.
Reckon we would select Lalor over Langford if we had the battle compo pick. We wouldn’t hesitate on O’Sullivan if he slid to us.

1.Tigers - Jagga
2.North - Trainor
3.West Coast - Smillie
5.Adelaide - Draper
6.Saints - O'Sullivan
7.Saints - Langford

Or take Draper ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.Tigers - Jagga
2.North - Trainor
3.West Coast - Smillie
5.Adelaide - Draper
6.Saints - O'Sullivan
7.Saints - Langford

I’d be pretty happy with that! But so up in the air - very possible that WC or North could split picks. WC probably look elsewhere than Smilie given they have taken Ginbey and Reid, but who knows. They could also look at Trainor if Barrass leaves.

I still don’t get the weaknesses with Draper. Looks perfect for us, but maybe I’m missing something. fOS has had multiple years as likely top 2 pick, so I’d back him to turn it around very quickly.

1.Tigers - Jagga
2.North - Trainor
3.West Coast - Smillie
5.Adelaide - Draper
6.Saints - O'Sullivan
7.Saints - Langford

Crows to deliver the usual “the underdog wins the showdown” and we accidentally drop one to Richmond.

1.Tigers - Jagga
2.North - Trainor
3.West Coast - Smillie
5.Adelaide - Draper
6.Saints - O'Sullivan
7.Saints - Langford

I doubt FOS slips past WCE but it would suit us if he did. There is a chance WCE snatch Draper which will make things interesting. Otherwise Draper is a monte to Adelaide, so we will get a choice of the rest.

Being before Adelaide would have been the optimal scenario but we cant have everything.

I like the idea of using our Future 1st Rd to buy back into the middle/ late 1st Rd and take Cooper Hynes. He and Langford already have leadership and synergy together much like Owens and Windhager. And Hynes is a mongrel. That counts for plenty come September. Worry about 2025 draft in 2025.

If we trade out Battle and play lots of kids it could be a top 3 pick in a better front end draft. I'd spew if we did that. This draft the best players could legit come from anywhere inside the first 30 picks.

I'd love more picks in this draft but I'm not taking anything out of the next one. We'll already be taking our first and second round picks. Cole and Peckett more than likely too.

At the moment we have 5, 24 and 45. Realistically Cole and Peckett probably fall outside 45 so we have three picks in the draft plus 2 FS/academy and Lennox Hoffman as a rookie.

Lose Battle and it's another draft pick. You can only really phase a few kids in every year and too many at once tends to see a few never get opportunity before being moved on. I'd rather give guys like Hotton another year because we really haven;'t seen him enough to make a call on him.

1.Tigers - Jagga
2.North - Trainor
3.West Coast - Smillie
5.Adelaide - Draper
6.Saints - O'Sullivan
7.Saints - Langford

I see Smilie dropping before FOS

I’d be pretty happy with that! But so up in the air - very possible that WC or North could split picks. WC probably look elsewhere than Smilie given they have taken Ginbey and Reid, but who knows. They could also look at Trainor if Barrass leaves.

I still don’t get the weaknesses with Draper. Looks perfect for us, but maybe I’m missing something. fOS has had multiple years as likely top 2 pick, so I’d back him to turn it around very quickly.

Draper looks a bit vanilla and doesn't win hard ball as much as some of those other mids. He's got heaps of class and moves really well but I can see why he has been marked down a bit. He does look quite clean and neat.

Draper looks a bit vanilla and doesn't win hard ball as much as some of those other mids. He's got heaps of class and moves really well but I can see why he has been marked down a bit. He does look quite clean and neat.
I couldn’t disagree more. Draper could easily be the best player in this draft.

For me, Draper is very similar to Connor Rozee. He is also wins more “hard ball”.

I watch SANFL weekly and the last U18 I have seen look that comfortable against men was JHF. He comes into any club next year and plays straight away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn’t disagree more. Draper could easily be the best player in this draft.

For me, Draper is very similar to Connor Rozee. He is also wins more “hard ball”.

I watch SANFL weekly and the last U18 I have seen look that comfortable against men was JHF. He comes into any club next year and plays straight away.

He definitely could be the best in the draft. It's super even and he's very likely to go top 8.

To me Rozee looked like a more X factor type in his draft year. He was a player who could play forward or back and had incredible speed. The only knock was what position he might play and he was very skinny. Draper does use the ball well like Rozee though.

Draper seems to get fed the ball a lot and his most attractive passages are running past the contest, carrying the ball away and delivering well. He's not a hands and knees ball pig mid. He seems to win contests by hitting the ball at speed and his ball handling skills are very good. Clean and neat are how I'd describe him.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if we took him just not a favourite.

Surely we are better off adding a player with a modicum of a chance of making it - rather than a plodding Zebras player who wouldnt get picked up by any other club in the competition. Plus I dont believe there is such a position as the last ist spot, they should all be considered the same and given the same opportunity to suceed eg Wilkie, Sinclair & Marshall.
I don't really understand your point. The list spot was deliberately dedicated for the purpose of attracting quality to the Zebras and it's worked in doing so. You want to shut down that initiative before it's had chance.

Just another powerful and damaging performance from Langford as we've become accustomed to this season. His Stingrays team are gathering pace heading into the business end of the season with 4 wins in their last 5 games and look as good a chance as any to challenge for the Talent League title.

FYI - I've already had a bunch of Saints supporters ask me to do the Elwood Peckett game from this week. No need for more! ;)

I like the idea of using our Future 1st Rd to buy back into the middle/ late 1st Rd and take Cooper Hynes. He and Langford already have leadership and synergy together much like Owens and Windhager. And Hynes is a mongrel. That counts for plenty come September. Worry about 2025 draft in 2025.
It's dream stuff but if the positions stay the same I'd do a straight swap with GC and also get their p20 for points which would be around the mark for Hynes. If there's options to sneak a bit higher then go for that.

I don't really understand your point. The list spot was deliberately dedicated for the purpose of attracting quality to the Zebras and it's worked in doing so. You want to shut down that initiative before it's had chance.

Sorry Scrappy, who have they attracted that would be picked up by another club? Sandringhams top up players are by far the worst in the competition. Its a great idea but Sandringham simply havent held up their end of the bargain. Hugo-Hahn is the only player they have added that is getting a game consistently and he got delisted by Sydney for a reason, he is a not up to it.

Particularly this year I would much prefer to use that list spot on a kid who slides through that is a list need, eg a young ruckman.

Last edited:
Sorry Scrappy, who have they attracted that would be picked up by another club? Sandringhams top up players are by far the worst in the competition. Its a great idea but Sandringham simply havent held up their end of the bargain. Hugo-Hahn is the only player they have added that is getting a game consistently and he got delisted by Sydney for a reason, he is a not up to it.

Particularly this year I would much prefer to use that list spot on a kid who slides through.
I agree but it just doesn't matter.
The club put it out there and need to honer it. I'd say 3-4 years is the right duration before it's proven not to work. You can't kill the program in 1 season. It's really not that big a deal and my point about being the last spot on the list is absolutely the case.
HHK will probably get signed, him and Max Hall will play at Sandy then get delisted.
Our future relies on 1stRDPs and free agents anyway.

He definitely could be the best in the draft. It's super even and he's very likely to go top 8.

To me Rozee looked like a more X factor type in his draft year. He was a player who could play forward or back and had incredible speed. The only knock was what position he might play and he was very skinny. Draper does use the ball well like Rozee though.

Draper seems to get fed the ball a lot and his most attractive passages are running past the contest, carrying the ball away and delivering well. He's not a hands and knees ball pig mid. He seems to win contests by hitting the ball at speed and his ball handling skills are very good. Clean and neat are how I'd describe him.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if we took him just not a favourite.

Mate you are running up the wrong tree with this one, go and watch his recent SANFL footage. He is exactly what we need with speed and class at the fall of the ball and is winning plenty of contested ball. His burst out of contest using his speed and foot work, we dont have one player who is capable of that. Anyway its all moot because Draper will be picked up by WCE or the Crows before us.

Cal seems to have Murphy Reid relatively high at 5.

Whats the knock? hard ball and size?
He might not seem as dynamic as others. Has a bit more of the Adam Cerra type, as oppose to being super explosive or Espescially damaging. I think both are overstated. He’s one of the smoothest movers in the draft.

Cal seems to have Murphy Reid relatively high at 5.

Whats the knock? hard ball and size?
Speed, size, power. He's a fantastic player but he doesn't fit our midfield since we already have so many slow movers without the explosive power out of stoppage. We need mids who can break the lines - he's more a Hunter Clark

ok just watched some pre injury FOS highlights... kid looks really really good. I don't know much about his injuries, but if our docs think he is fine long term I'd be super happy to use a pick on him. Really good sidestep, dynamic, bit of a terrier with the ground ball, puts his head over it, fast and has a big boot, makes good decisions and above average disposal.

and as an under ager (i think) playing with reid

If we trade out Battle and play lots of kids it could be a top 3 pick in a better front end draft. I'd spew if we did that. This draft the best players could legit come from anywhere inside the first 30 picks.

I'd love more picks in this draft but I'm not taking anything out of the next one. We'll already be taking our first and second round picks. Cole and Peckett more than likely too.

At the moment we have 5, 24 and 45. Realistically Cole and Peckett probably fall outside 45 so we have three picks in the draft plus 2 FS/academy and Lennox Hoffman as a rookie.

Lose Battle and it's another draft pick. You can only really phase a few kids in every year and too many at once tends to see a few never get opportunity before being moved on. I'd rather give guys like Hotton another year because we really haven;'t seen him enough to make a call on him.

Apart from that, unless there are weird NGA or F/S things going on , ( and the AFL say they are fixing that ), then nobody will trade their current first for a future first. Not without sweetening the deal like the Hawks did to the Saints the year before Clark/Coffield.

Its the kind of crap that happens all the time with us. People want it NOW, then cry when we get to next year and there are no draft picks.

We need to be sustainable.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back