2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably with picks around 6 to 8 you never going to get the perfect package but what is important that you get a player or maybe in our case 2 players that have a very high footy IQ and skill .... whilst speed is great its not the be all and end all ... case in point Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Dal Santo for example.

Lalor or Reid or Langford as mids maybe the way to go ..... Trainor whilst not a mid has some great qualities

Probably with picks around 6 to 8 you never going to get the perfect package but what is important that you get a player or maybe in our case 2 players that have a very high footy IQ and skill .... whilst speed is great its not the be all and end all ... case in point Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Dal Santo for example.

Lalor or Reid or Langford as mids maybe the way to go ..... Trainor whilst not a mid has some great qualities
Agreed. Bont and Neale doesn’t have speed and they go ok

Yeah, think the midfield issues are overstated. People losing their minds, but how many more players can we roll through there? A pure tap ruckman who directly feeds our midfield could have just as big of an impact to our clearance game.

Just get talent. If that's Murphy and Trainor, take them. Hopefully Hynes hangs around for our second botts 🙏

Yeah, think the midfield issues are overstated. People losing their minds, but how many more players can we roll through there? A pure tap ruckman who directly feeds our midfield could have just as big of an impact to our clearance game.

Just get talent. If that's Murphy and Trainor, take them. Hopefully Hynes hangs around for our second botts 🙏

I 50% agree with this statement if Pou becomes a superstar. We really need a rolled gold star mid.

Yeah Pendlebury played with Sidebottom for a long time. Neither of them all that quick, but incredibly high footy IQs.
Reid has a bit of a Sinclair/Pendlebury feel about him - seems good at getting the ball out of the furnace to bring others into the game without necessarily bursting through traffic himself. Decent sidestep to give himself a bit of space though.

His handpassing technique looks a bit sloppy at times but mostly pretty effective.

For a while last weekend it looked like we might finish below Adelaide, but then we stepped up and they fell off a cliff. I was thinking "Draper here we come!" He was my favourite so far from the clips I've seen.

I think Smillie is the hardest to predict at this stage. At times he looks like Bont and other times like treacle.

Yeah Pendlebury played with Sidebottom for a long time. Neither of them all that quick, but incredibly high footy IQs.
Reid has a bit of a Sinclair/Pendlebury feel about him - seems good at getting the ball out of the furnace to bring others into the game without necessarily bursting through traffic himself. Decent sidestep to give himself a bit of space though.

His handpassing technique looks a bit sloppy at times but mostly pretty effective.

For a while last weekend it looked like we might finish below Adelaide, but then we stepped up and they fell off a cliff. I was thinking "Draper here we come!" He was my favourite so far from the clips I've seen.

I think Smillie is the hardest to predict at this stage. At times he looks like Bont and other times like treacle.
Twomey talking up Reid's handballing. I think if noobermensch can get a video of Murphy's game for the Dragons on the weekend, it may be quite insightful viewing...

Twomey talking up Reid's handballing. I think if noobermensch can get a video of Murphy's game for the Dragons on the weekend, it may be quite insightful viewing...
Found it myself

Twomey was speaking about his fast hands, and they are quick! Very creative. I'm warming to him. Can find the footy, very skillful, but still gets dirty when he needs to.

Whilst a contested beast would be good, I'd hate them to be limited to the coal face. There are a fair few strings to Murphy's bow - both inside and outside.

Found it myself

Twomey was speaking about his fast hands, and they are quick! Very creative. I'm warming to him. Can find the footy, very skillful, but still gets dirty when he needs to.

Whilst a contested beast would be good, I'd hate them to be limited to the coal face. There are a fair few strings to Murphy's bow - both inside and outside.

Yeah, his handballs are definitely quick. Seems to know who's around him and tries to put it to their advantage.
I'm sure he can fire bullets if he needs to, but I noticed in other vids too they can be a bit lobby/floaty. Very effective in general though by the looks, and looks really smart which is something we've lacked.

Seems a very good prospect. I think he'd complement our other kids pretty well.
Garcia/Windy for grunt, Phillipou/Owens for power, Wilson for run and scoring, Nas, Reid and Schoey for their disposal.

If we get another pick, Lalor or Trainor would be fine by the looks. Just got that nagging question mark over what Smillie will turn out to be.

We have midfielders who can handball us out of trouble, we need mids who can burst out the front of stoppages. They are the game changers in the modern game.

Reid is good he can find the ball and put it to his team mates advantage. If he can add leg drive to his game and start driving out of stoppages he might be ok. ATM he wouldnt be my first choice.

So which mids in the draft have those burst & speed and good skills requisites ... that are likley to make it our picks (5&6 or 6&7)?

Lalor? Anyone else?

Langford... too slow?
Hynes .... dodgy kick?
Lindsay ... not a mid / too small?
Travaglia ... not a mid?
Smillie .... too slow / questionable work rate?
Moraes ... inconsistent?
Gross / Ough .... a huge reach at Top 10?
I think you've been sucked in to some negative views.
Langford, Smillie, possibly Travaglia are all worthy.
Hynes is a good kick but late 1st-early 2nd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With school footy done for the year the APS boys are all back in the Talent League and gearing up for a big finals campaign to finish off season 2024. Murphy Reid celebrated his return with a massive game, finding the footy all over the ground and demonstrating his poise and confidence with the ball in hand. Sandy will be pushing to make it three Talent League titles in a row and Murphy will be in the thick of it.

leather poisoning but mostly dinky handballs

I 50% agree with this statement if Pou becomes a superstar. We really need a rolled gold star mid.

Why? We need to get one but maybe a trade or develop Garcia types. Gross at our second rounder maybe? We should always take the best available talent IMO. If pou becomes a star we are a lot closer. Maybe Windy steps up even.

No, we need big and dynamic mids, assuming FOS, Smith and Draper are gone before our pick, will select Lalor and Langford, really don’t need a small mid + 3rd tall, lucky for us Darymple has a knack of prioritise mids.

I was really interested in Sam Mitchell's comments on AFL 360 tonight, where he said that Calsher Dear has informed the way he views draft talent. Basically said that he didn't rate Calsher much when he first presented, but has been blown away by his unwavering desire to improve himself as an athlete and a footballer. Mitchell went on to say that he really thinks individual competitiveness is almost the single most important trait as it drives everything else.

From a Saints perspective we can really see that in Owens and particularly Windhager, and I think Garcia has it as well. I'm also starting to think that Peckett might have it too.

I was really interested in Sam Mitchell's comments on AFL 360 tonight, where he said that Calsher Dear has informed the way he views draft talent. Basically said that he didn't rate Calsher much when he first presented, but has been blown away by his unwavering desire to improve himself as an athlete and a footballer. Mitchell went on to say that he really thinks individual competitiveness is almost the single most important trait as it drives everything else.

From a Saints perspective we can really see that in Owens and particularly Windhager, and I think Garcia has it as well. I'm also starting to think that Peckett might have it too.
Don’t forget Philipou. That’s the reason Ross is handing over the keys to our young guns, they are the ones driving standards in the team at the moment, not the older blokes.

this guy looks really really good too.. haven't checked his averages, but 194 cm, moves like jimmy webster, flies for his marks, great in traffic, great kick, reads the play beautifully (one of the last contests where he makes the split second decision to drop off his man to intercept, great read, could have gone very wrong).

I know I was all "let battle walk so we can draft mids etc", but with Pou and Garcia coming on, I wouldn't be adverse to snagging this fella with our compo pick, paired with wilkie it would set up our defence for another 5 years.

also, Draper looked pretty meh in his last game for the SANFL, very handball heavy. Probably just an off game

Trainor looks good in these highlights and would be a good pick up. presumably coupled with a mid

Found it myself

Silk

Pou has it as well. It's mostly been seen in his training but lately in games as well.

Peckett is a good call based purely on his intensity from the footage we've seen and his VFL game.

Garcia is the king of this, he is ultra competitive

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back