2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pou has it as well. It's mostly been seen in his training but lately in games as well.

Peckett is a good call based purely on his intensity from the footage we've seen and his VFL game.

Garcia is the king of this, he is ultra competitive
I’m still salivating over that kick inside 50 Garcia hit on Saturday night. Give me that mad bastard mentality with a little silk by foot for the next 12 years

Pou has it as well. It's mostly been seen in his training but lately in games as well.

Peckett is a good call based purely on his intensity from the footage we've seen and his VFL game.

Garcia is the king of this, he is ultra competitive
I just watched the replay of the second half. Hugo was great in his limited minutes. That run down of Holmes showed his competitiveness too. That was awesome. Him, Pou, Darcy. Exciting.

I was just looking at the draft points and Gold Coast have a total of 5670 points with their picks. Lets say Lombard is bid on at pick 5 (points 1878) the most likely club for GCS to trade their pick is with Richmond (total points 5948), who have a miriad of late picks and GCS wanting to get Daniel Rioli up there.

Richmond are going to really set up how the trade and draft will look this year. If they lose Rioli to GCS say #13 or #20, Baker to WCE say pick #23 plus, and Bolton to Fremantle say pick #10 or #17 plus. Then after trading with GCS and the other clubs they could enter the draft with something like picks - #1, #5, #10, #13, #21, #23 & #30. Obviously depending on what other players they might target trade wise.

So if hyperthetically Richmond end up with GCS pick #5 who will they be looking at? I think with their array of picks they will go 2 x midfielders with their first two picks (#1 & #5), they can then start looking at the tall forwards etc following. There are lots of possibilities of who will be taken before our pick/s, as apart from North's draft pick I think the remainder of the top 6-7 picks will all be midfielders.

It will be interesting just sitting back to see how Richmond navigate this years trade and draft periods! If they lose all the talent touted to want trades, they are going to bottom out big time over the next few years. If I was running their list rebuild I would be asking for players in return with the trading clubs eg GCS Moyle/Lukosious, WCE Culley, Fremantle Bandfield/Sturt.
If Richmond offload the above players I think those that provide them with 2x1st round picks I reckon the Tigers will likely want to include some future picks (2025)

And that they don't got back to kicking it to Max all the time , ATM we have so many options for goals and it needs to stay that way , you cant have all the eggs in on basket
Hopefully they'll be using him up the wings as well for a good outlet mark they way he played (very well) against the Pies and a couple of others. He is a very good field kick.

Bolton is almost a lock to leave - he's playing like he's checked out and the Dockers are extremely confident. Chase success and return home while Tigers get a stack of picks, its win-win

Graham has been offered an extension but is considering an offer from West Coast. So is Baker. From what I've read, both are 50-50

Rioli I feel could go either way considering Maurice is still at Richmond but he also wants to join Dimma

In the end I think they'll let 3 go and one stays. They'll have at least 5 first rounders so could be a prime target for us if we want to split one of our top 10 picks
Letting all 4 of their best 22 go in one year will spell a Norf-like disaster I think.
Should do two this year and two the next.

Far out, us overtaking the Suns might be more costly than I thought. If they trade that pick to Richmond for Rioli, I feel like they would love to take Lalor
They play Richmond this week, so it could be pick 5 or pick 7 going to the Tigers in that trade depending on the winner. I wonder if Dimma is the tanking type...

GC play Richmond this weekend, and whilst I love our footy last week I suspect we may not beat Carlton who are playing for a finals spot.
How many injuries break the back of them though?
Rumours Mc Govern has a hamstring and someone else I cant remember also injured.

If Richmond offload the above players I think those that provide them with 2x1st round picks I reckon the Tigers will likely want to include some future picks (2025)

Bolton should net the Tigers a mid first and a second (from Fremantle).

Rioli also the same (from Gold Coast).

Baker nets (from Fremantle) a late first and a late second or a mid first (he is their vice captain).

I think they will want to future a first and a second. Leaving them an additional 2 firsts and 2 seconds this year.

I can see Tigers with eight picks inside the top 30 if you include their original two picks.

They will already have two firsts and two seconds banked for next year.

They are basically stripping back as far as North did. Incredibly risky. It could be quicksand.

How many injuries break the back of them though?
Rumours Mc Govern has a hamstring and someone else I cant remember also injured.
Durdin ruled out - he's hardly a loss

Curnow and McKay 50-50 to return. Saad hopeful. Martin, Fantasia, Marchbank all should be available

Really hope we make an honourable loss this week

Baker nets (from Fremantle) a late first and a late second or a mid first (he is their vice captain).

I think they will want to future a first and a second. Leaving them an additional 2 firsts and 2 seconds this year.

I can see Tigers with eight picks inside the top 30 if you include their original two picks.

They are basically stripping back as far as North did. Incredibly risky. It could be quicksand.
I’d say Bolton is worth a pick around 10-15
Rioli pick 15-22
Baker 15-22.

None of them have produced enough to suggest they’re worth multiple quality picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far out, us overtaking the Suns might be more costly than I thought. If they trade that pick to Richmond for Rioli, I feel like they would love to take Lalor

Gold Coast should thrash Richmond. Even allowing for their abysmal away record. It would be utter humiliation for them if they lost or even came close to losing.

Gold Coast haven’t even had an 11 win season. Ever. They will be desperate to at least achieve that.

They are 1.8% behind us on the ladder. If we beat Carlton by 12 and Gold Coast beat Tigers by 47 then Gold Coast leap frog us (on percentage).

If we lose or draw and Gold Coast win then Gold Coast leap frog us.

If we lose and Gold Coast win or draw then Gold Coast leap frog us.

The odds are Gold Coast leap frog us.

The bigger danger is that if Demons lose (to Collingwood) and we win then we leap frog Melbourne.

The difference between that and north is. North just delisted there players. Never got any draft pick back for any of them. Then just kept going back to the afl with dick in hand asking for help. But I do agree with you, getting rid of known assets to get unknown assets is always risky. It’s what we have don’t forever 😂

Rioli pick 15-22
Baker 15-22.

None of them have produced enough to suggest they’re worth multiple quality picks.

If Fremantle and Gold Coast want those players, and those players nominate them in a request for trade, then they will get it done. They will use some future picks to lessen the immediate pain.

Tigers hold the whip hand. Only Baker is uncontracted and Tigers have first pick in all of the drafts. They hold the whip hand in all of the deals.

Rioli has been a star for Tigers this year. Bolton is a brilliant player. Those clubs will pay the price to get it done.

The difference between that and north is. North just delisted there players. Never got any draft pick back for any of them. Then just kept going back to the afl with dick in hand asking for help. But I do agree with you, getting rid of known assets to get unknown assets is always risky. It’s what we have don’t forever

Valid points.

But Tigers face the same dilemma in that they have a team of babies. Lambs to the slaughter.

It can ruin young players.

I was just looking at the draft points and Gold Coast have a total of 5670 points with their picks. Lets say Lombard is bid on at pick 5 (points 1878) the most likely club for GCS to trade their pick is with Richmond (total points 5948), who have a miriad of late picks and GCS wanting to get Daniel Rioli up there.

Richmond are going to really set up how the trade and draft will look this year. If they lose Rioli to GCS say #13 or #20, Baker to WCE say pick #23 plus, and Bolton to Fremantle say pick #10 or #17 plus. Then after trading with GCS and the other clubs they could enter the draft with something like picks - #1, #5, #10, #13, #21, #23 & #30. Obviously depending on what other players they might target trade wise.

So if hyperthetically Richmond end up with GCS pick #5 who will they be looking at? I think with their array of picks they will go 2 x midfielders with their first two picks (#1 & #5), they can then start looking at the tall forwards etc following. There are lots of possibilities of who will be taken before our pick/s, as apart from North's draft pick I think the remainder of the top 6-7 picks will all be midfielders.

It will be interesting just sitting back to see how Richmond navigate this years trade and draft periods! If they lose all the talent touted to want trades, they are going to bottom out big time over the next few years. If I was running their list rebuild I would be asking for players in return with the trading clubs eg GCS Moyle/Lukosious, WCE Culley, Fremantle Bandfield/Sturt.
I suspect Richmond will get more from all of those. I could see Bolton being Freo’s Collingwood pick or if not two teens. I wouldn’t be surprised if pick 5 was involved for Rioli with something back (perhaps more likely their F1?). Ludicrous, but that’s the talk.

Rioli pick 15-22
Baker 15-22.

Bolton is worth a lot more than 10-15. He's one of the best players in the comp when playing for a good team. Lacks motivation this year. Might thrive back home

Gold Coast should thrash Richmond. Even allowing for their abysmal away record. It would be utter humiliation for them if they lost or even came close to losing.

Gold Coast haven’t even had an 11 win season. Ever. They will be desperate to at least achieve that.

They are 1.8% behind us on the ladder. If we beat Carlton by 12 and Gold Coast beat Tigers by 47 then Gold Coast leap frog us (on percentage).

The bigger danger is that if Demons lose (to Collingwood) and we win then we leap frog Melbourne.
They lost to North last round last year from memory. They’re abysmal late in the year and Dusty’s farewell. I’m not hopeful at all.

Or it might be smart before tassie comes in to get some youth in the door

I'll give you one guess who got beaten in the final round last year by the hopeless bottom team North. Cost North a generational talent.

Don't back Gold Coast to win. In fact I'm pretty confident Richmond will smash them.

Gold Coast's record at the death of pretty much every season since their inception is abysmal.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back