2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

100% take drive over talent any day. That’s why Smillie scares me. Looked bored at times during the champs. Langford in comparison looked like he was desperate for people to see his talent.
Talent can only take you so far. Jarryn Geary, Jason Blake, even currently Liam Stocker. None have or had elite skills but you just know they will give everything every time they step on a footy field.

Maybe that's what SoS saw in Stocker, not once but twice?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am not at all confident that Gold Coast can beat the Tigers let alone beat them by 8+ goals ....the only way I see GC overtaking us is for them to win and for us ... to lose

Also would Gold Coast seriously cough up pick 5 for Dan Rioli?

I am not at all confident that Gold Coast can beat the Tigers let alone beat them by 8+ goals ....the only way I see GC overtaking us is for them to win and for us ... to lose

Also would Gold Coast seriously cough up pick 5 for Dan Rioli?
I’d say so, they’ll probably view it as a something they desperately need. With a strong midfield top end they would probably back in the young stars they already have.

Reid is still on the board. He will be a gun
Even if he's a gun, he's the opposite of what we need in the midfield. If we draft him, we are essentially booking a trade for one of Clark or Windy as one of the mid-sized midfielders. There's absolutely no way you can play Pou, Clark, Reid all in the same midfield rotation on any given day, you'd get smoked by any opposition mid who has any ounce of leg speed

If we trade Clark this off-season then yes, Reid is a great option

Last edited:
Even if he's a gun, he's the opposite of what we need in the midfield. If we draft him, we are essentially booking a trade for one of Clark or Windy as one of the mid-sized midfielders. There's absolutely no way you can play Pou, Clark, Reid, Windy all in the same midfield rotation on any given day, you'd get smoked by any opposition mid who has any ounce of leg speed

I get what you mean, but I don’t agree in the slightest with Windy!

I get what you mean, but I don’t agree in the slightest with Windy!
I edited the post and removed Windy haha

I added him initally because he's another mid-sized mid who hasn't really shown an ability to break out of packs front of stoppage. He does have pure leg speed though so it'll come with more development I hope

Even if he's a gun, he's the opposite of what we need in the midfield. If we draft him, we are essentially booking a trade for one of Clark or Windy as one of the mid-sized midfielders. There's absolutely no way you can play Pou, Clark, Reid, Windy all in the same midfield rotation on any given day, you'd get smoked by any opposition mid who has any ounce of leg speed

But if we get Lalor doesn't that fill the need? ... and then get Reid as well?

What other speedy midfielders should we target with a pick in the top 10?

I don't think Langford is quick .... in fact he himself agrees

But if we get Lalor doesn't that fill the need? ... and then get Reid as well?

What other speedy midfielders should we target with a pick in the top 10?

I don't think Langford is quick .... in fact he himself agrees
Lalor fills the need of a powerful contest mid/fwd so doesnt address speed. That's why I keep saying we should think about splitting the pick if we miss out on one of the 3 big guns (FOS, Jagga, Draper). Could easily find a way to get Hynes who is perfect for our lineup

Langford wouldn't be terrible because he knows how to use his legs - he has natural game sense and backs himself to break away from packs. Reid always looks to handball and although that can be developed, I'd rather take the natural

I'd take Travaglia over Reid and I hate the idea of taking another half back hoping to transform them into a mid

Lalor fills the need of a powerful contest mid/fwd so doesnt address speed. That's why I keep saying we should think about splitting the pick if we miss out on one of the 3 big guns (FOS, Jagga, Draper). Could easily find a way to get Hynes who is perfect for our lineup

Langford wouldn't be terrible because he knows how to use his legs - he has natural game sense and backs himself to break away from packs. Reid always looks to handball and although that can be developed, I'd rather take the natural

I'd take Travaglia over Reid and I hate the idea of taking another half back hoping to transform them into a mid
Didn't Reid win the Vic Metro MVP?

Must be doing something right playing as a mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if he's a gun, he's the opposite of what we need in the midfield. If we draft him, we are essentially booking a trade for one of Clark or Windy as one of the mid-sized midfielders. There's absolutely no way you can play Pou, Clark, Reid all in the same midfield rotation on any given day, you'd get smoked by any opposition mid who has any ounce of leg speed

Disagree. He is nothing like windy or Clark. You’re selling him really short. He is more steel Sidebottom.

Disagree. He is nothing like windy or Clark. You’re selling him really short. He is more steel Sidebottom.
Nothing like Clark is a bold take especially when you say he is like Sidebottom the sentence after. Sidebottom's point of difference was his ability to kick on both feet - Reid is comfortably a right-footer and in no way ambidextrous

Furthermore, Cal Twomey is on record saying Reid will start his AFL career as a half back - the same way Clark did

Either way, Clark and Sidey are similar types of players anyway - slow, small, classy. We don't need any more of that package at all

Nothing like Clark is a bold take especially when you say he is like Sidebottom the sentence after. Sidebottom's point of difference was his ability to kick on both feet - Reid is comfortably a right-footer and in no way ambidextrous

Furthermore, Cal Twomey is on record saying Reid will start his AFL career as a half back - the same way Clark did

Either way, Clark and Sidey are similar types of players anyway - slow, small, classy. We don't need any more of that package at all
I think we just need talent. If he is the next most talented player at our pick, you take him.

I think we just need talent. If he is the next most talented player at our pick, you take him.
Except its an even draft so the kids around Reid's range are much more likely than previous years to be as good if not better than him long-term. I'd prefer to punt on Hotton

Also, the modern game is suited to players with leg speed and is leaving slower players behind so there's another limiting factor in Reid's upside

The Reid discussion is exactly why we need to get ahead of GCS in the draft. At picks 7 & 8 genuine midfield prospects become more speculative.

It was mentioned today that the club are trying to get a 3rd first round pick, where that comes from remains a mystery.

Also, the modern game is suited to players with leg speed and is leaving slower players behind so there's another limiting factor in Reid's upside

Is it really? There are a lot of very good mids who aren't particularly quick.

In fact, of the top 30 or so the only ones I'd say are particularly fast are Butters, Holmes, Treloar and Warner. Maybe Daicos, Merrett, Gulden, McCluggage, Neale are fairly fast but I wouldn't say it's the cornerstone of their game.

All the rest are much of a muchness: Bont, Cripps, Hayden Young, Tom Green, Steele, LDU, Anderson, Brayshaw, Serong, Flanders, Laird, Dunkley, Newcombe, Rowell, Walsh, Dawson, etc etc etc.

I don't think leg speed matters as much as people seem to think. Being in the right place at the right time, winning hard balls, making good decisions, having good disposal, and being good at evading tackles can more than make up for a lack of leg speed.

The only problem is when you're not quick and also have serious discrepancies in most of those other areas - Dunstan the obvious example but there are plenty more. But presumably we're not super excited about drafting anyone in those categories.

Is it really? There are a lot of very good mids who aren't particularly quick.

In fact, of the top 30 or so the only ones I'd say are particularly fast are Butters, Holmes, Treloar and Warner. Maybe Daicos, Merrett, Gulden, McCluggage, Neale are fairly fast but I wouldn't say it's the cornerstone of their game.

All the rest are much of a muchness: Bont, Cripps, Hayden Young, Tom Green, Steele, LDU, Anderson, Brayshaw, Serong, Flanders, Laird, Dunkley, Newcombe, Rowell, Walsh, Dawson, etc etc etc.

I don't think leg speed matters as much as people seem to think. Being in the right place at the right time, winning hard balls, making good decisions, having good disposal, and being good at evading tackles can more than make up for a lack of leg speed.

The only problem is when you're not quick and also have serious discrepancies in most of those other areas - Dunstan the obvious example but there are plenty more. But presumably we're not super excited about drafting anyone in those categories.
All the players you listed are either adequately quick without being super speedy or have a different physical attribute that separates them; height, muscle, running power etc. Reid has literally none of that; he's 180cm, slim, slow, and isn't like Jagga Smith where he's insanely agile. He also isn't a contested beast

Obviously not EVERY player is going to be lightning quick, I'm just saying the average speed of midfields is going up when you see players like Macrae, Oliver, Lyons, Laird, Parker, Mitchell, Brodie, Daniel, Gaff all struggling to make an impact

I think it’s more the finally bloody finally the chance to build a good midfield.

I’m also kind of pissed in particular by the cheap late wins. All very well for a few wins late when the pressure is off, but where was this when it counted. Another wasted year and more missing out on the top line talent ( yep agree in the end who knows that we won’t get very good players out of it). And much greater chance outside of the top 5 that one will be a pretty meh player in the end.

I think fans are suddenly very rose coloured glasses about where we are really at.
100%
Im not buying the hype of a few late wins only to be slugging it out to limp into 8th next year off a soft draw….groundhog day
We have a chance to do something different
Of course draft picks guarantees nothing
But top 5 picks at least guarantee early choice ahead of 13 other clubs …up to us to use that wisely

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back