2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I know nothing about the guy, I just feel like leg speed isn't the be all and end all that supporters sometimes seem to perceive it as.
Oh 100%, but it is when you have no other standout physical attributes. If he was a physical beast like Lalor (comparison to Trac) or as slippery as Jagga (comparison to Butters) or as big as Smillie (comparison to Cripps) then perfectly fine

100% take drive over talent any day. That’s why Smillie scares me. Looked bored at times during the champs. Langford in comparison looked like he was desperate for people to see his talent.
No better example of drive than Darcy Wilson
Speak to those who know him and the kid has been driven since he was 12
Highly motivated to get best out of himself very very Rob Harvey like that inner self discipline….thats gold
Yup beware the talented lazy bastards …

Interesting view for a Mock Draft

I like his 3 for the Saints, 2 mids & a key back.
But think, with the possibility of both Hayes & Membrey departing.
We may need a key forward, could we swoop? on Armstrong
And then take a key back after pick 28.
Also need a small backman
And a Ruckman-maybe not in the draft.
A smaller inside mid. would be good too.

**** me if that's our haul I'll be ecstatic. Lalor and Hynes are exactly what our mids need which justifies the Trainor 'best available' pick that also somewhat fills a hole long-term

No to Armstrong, the type of forward depth we need is mature depth. A delisted free agent - something like what Freo have done with Voss who got delisted by the Bombers end of last year. We already have Keeler as a developing tall as well

Key back is Cole via NGA
Small backman is Hofmann via NGA
Ruckman depends on Campbell
Small inside mid via trade (Peatling)

Yes agree .... his kicking is very technically sound and he hits his intended target whether that be a loose player or a teammate in a contest .... he isn't spraying them .... covers 50m with ease

And he is a great mark .... you need mids that are great overhead

He has one more game to showcase his wares as GWVR aren't making the Coates League Finals

He’s an excellent mark below average kick.

Is Lalor a Dalrymple kind of pick?

Power .... Good disposals skills .... Good overhead .... how does Lalor compare with Chad Warner's profile who was a Dalrymple selection?

Warner went outside pick 30. No relevance. Bont probably the reach of his picks. Bont was racking huge numbers up to storm home late. Lalor consistently around 5 to 10 without a huge jump in form.

Wins aren't equal, what they say for our future depends on which players play well. The last period has been promising because:

• The penny seems to have dropped for Phillipou
  • Wilson keeps on popping up with seriously promising games
  • Sharman and Caminiti have some chemistry up forward and both could have good future roles
  • Garcia shows very nice signs for a young guy
  • McLennan didn't look completely out of place
  • Byrnes is contributing really well and could easily have a future
  • Mitch might have come out of his form slump
  • Stocker might have found a spot in midfield

So imo there's a bunch of reasons there for mild positivity around the younger players on the list. And that ignores Windy, Max, Henry (all forgotten because they're injured), Clark and Dow (need to cross fingers on them getting a good injury run and stepping up), and Nas (in an excusable mild form slump).

That's potentially - if a few things go to plan - a solid core, with potential for a couple of real stars in there.

I think that's why people are feeling relatively positive right now, and I think that's not completely irrational personally. Certainly better than earlier in the year when Pou wasn't anywhere near AFL quality yet, we hadn't seen McLennan, Byrnes was being delisted, Stocker was basically done, Clark and Dow weren't even playing, and Mitch was having a really tough year.

Titanic, Phillipou and Wilson all look like something clicked In mentally this year. Garcia B looks like storming up behind them. Ari looks likely too.

Even if he's a gun, he's the opposite of what we need in the midfield. If we draft him, we are essentially booking a trade for one of Clark or Windy as one of the mid-sized midfielders. There's absolutely no way you can play Pou, Clark, Reid all in the same midfield rotation on any given day, you'd get smoked by any opposition mid who has any ounce of leg speed

If we trade Clark this off-season then yes, Reid is a great option

He must have stolen your lunch money or something. You really hate him.

Oh 100%, but it is when you have no other standout physical attributes. If he was a physical beast like Lalor (comparison to Trac) or as slippery as Jagga (comparison to Butters) or as big as Smillie (comparison to Cripps) then perfectly fine

What about ability to play footy? He looks really good to me.

Highly motivated to get best out of himself very very Rob Harvey like that inner self discipline….thats gold

He’s quiet like Harves too. Can imagine that he came across badly in interviews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Reid discussion is exactly why we need to get ahead of GCS in the draft. At picks 7 & 8 genuine midfield prospects become more speculative.

It was mentioned today that the club are trying to get a 3rd first round pick, where that comes from remains a mystery.

Where was this mentioned? I would love us to trade in our future first and some change to gold coast for 5 and back in the boys to finish much higher next year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we finish 14th and get pick 5, 6 after Battle compo, may seriously consider trading 6 for something like 14, 22, we also have a second round (from Crows) which is around 28. Get another teen pick through trading, we can end up with 5 picks inside 30. Very good for an even and deep draft.

Something like 5, 14, 16, 22, 28 + Peckett + Hoffman (rookie) + Cole (rookie) would be awesome!!!

Every training you go to the last off the track are

Owens
Windhager
Pou

They have the competitiveness.

[IMG alt="chris_h_11"]https://www.bigfootycontent.com/avatars/m/67/67999.jpg?1477613689[/IMG]
st_kilda.png

chris_h_11

All Australian​

21 minutes ago
I have no doubt there was a handshake agreement re: Sheil, related to Gresham and us getting decent compo. When he hurt his knee, we delayed it by 12 months, but the salary dump has allowed/will allow them to pay Gresham enough, or at least structure the deal that maximised our compo.

Quoted this from the trade thread. This is exactly what it will have been. A handshake to move Shiel’s wage over so they push Gresham to band one. The AFL stopped us doing in an over the counter way so went back door. Geelong got Bowes and a high pick in some absolutely shonky way and the AFL runs to change the rules. We just try to do a little wage shift and get blocked.

He’s still got a way to go imo. I see him as Trent McKenzie, too tall and slow to be a running player, not strong enough yet to be a short key back. Fingers crossed though.

His ideal role is the one Bonner plays. A kicking distributor off HB. Daniel Rich is his spirit animal

If we finish 14th and get pick 5, 6 after Battle compo, may seriously consider trading 6 for something like 14, 22, we also have a second round (from Crows) which is around 28. Get another teen pick through trading, we can end up with 5 picks inside 30. Very good for an even and deep draft.

Something like 5, 14, 16, 22, 28 + Peckett + Hoffman (rookie) + Cole (rookie) would be awesome!!!

Sounds like we are picking up a couple of recycled players too. Not sure we will want to delist 10 players off the list. Probably need to keep the picks high and hope.

Where was this mentioned? I would love us to trade in our future first and some change to gold coast for 5 and back in the boys to finish much higher next year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, next year we could still finish way down the ladder with mass list changes. You usually get a better front end and less depth in drafts than this one. I’d stick to the picks that we have.

Drafts are never about what you need now, especially Key position players.
If we get a key defender in the draft , we need a stopgap , otherwise we simply traumatise some kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back