2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

So an end of first round pick for a 32yo :tearsofjoy:

Shiel is a salary dump for Essington .... we should be asking for their 2nd round pick

Should we throw in Nas so he doesn’t go elsewhere?

Pick 5 - Lalor 187cm - Mid
Pick 6 - Langford 190cm - Mid
Pick 28 - Hynes 190cm - Mid
Pick 40 - Peckett 187cm - Mid
Rookie - Cole 196cm - Key back
Rookie - Hoffman 191cm - HB

That’ll be a good haul, first 4 picks are all tall mids capable of hitting the score board or playing forward. Fixes our contested ball issue in 1 draft.

Last edited:
Except it was never intended to be used that way.
The pick is meant to be compensation for losing a player, not motivation to lose your player.

A genius system created by geniuses you say?

That’ll be a good haul, first 4 picks are all tall mids capable of hitting the score board or playing forward. Fixes our contested ball issue in 1 draft.

Except we won’t get pick 6 anymore battle compensation will be pick 20 ergo 30 after F/S and academies. Our first pick likely to blow out to 8 or 9 after we beat carlton and GC shit the bed and all the F/S and academies we will have Murphy Reid another half back mid type

Dylan Shiel is gonna make me have a stroke.

Seriously. Does he have to come up every freaking year?

Allison and a future fourth.

Peckett isn’t close to being worth pick 40. We’ll take a open pool player there and take him probably in the last round or as a rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if we seriously consider Alex Dodson the ruckman from SA with one of our top 10 picks if we do get one for battle leaving. Has only just nominated afl over basketball, could start forward and in a couple of years time be a deadly 1/2 punch with Roma

I wonder if we seriously consider Alex Dodson the ruckman from SA with one of our top 10 picks if we do get one for battle leaving. Has only just nominated afl over basketball, could start forward and in a couple of years time be a deadly 1/2 punch with Roma
He would be a great get, but he his currently an early second-rounder at the moment. If a club really wanted a ruckman, he might suit a club late in the first round.

Absolutely not, that is a massive reach. Maybe if we split the pick and take him with a late first rounder that might be worthwhile but even that still feels like a reach

I have a feeling he won't become a reach by draft night. Can definitely see him going top 15. Only takes 2 clubs to be interested to get a club to pounce sooner then most intended

A solid performance from Gross who put in his typical industrious shift, throwing his body in at stoppage and work hard around the ground to create an option for his teammates and apply pressure on the opposition. He played quite a bit in the forward line, and shows real promise there as a disciplined pressure forward and opportunistic goal scorer in the Ben Keays mold.

Peckett isn’t close to being worth pick 40. We’ll take a open pool player there and take him probably in the last round or as a rookie

Current list numbers:

39 - senior list
5 - rookie list
2 - cat b rookie list

We can now have 3 x cat B rookies and rookies can remain as such for a 4th year, without moving.

We currently have Caminiti, Sharman, Heath, Hayes & Hall on the cat A rookie list and cat B rookies McLennan & OConnell.

Lets say we lose Crouch retires, Battle FA, delist Allison, Hayes (r), Campbell, Paton, Cordy & Bonner (hopefully). There is a fair chance Caminiti, Sharman get elevated to the senior list, Heath another year as a cat A rookie and McLennan another year as a cat B rookie.

Depending on other trades eg Sheil, Peatling we should have at least 4 x free spots on the main list for the draft and possibly 3 cat A rookie positions. I am thinking the Irish kid (Finn?) who is training ATM will get offerred a cat B spot, its a lot of trouble for the kid and family to come out otherwise.

I have no doubt Peckett will get picked up, but it will come down to available list spots where the FS & NGA's get taken. Obviously if any get bid on in the main draft we are most likely to match the bids, but lets hope they all get through as rookies which would give us more flexibility on draft night. With that said I wouldnt be unhappy matching a bid on Peckett at #40 in the main draft.

Last edited:
I just refuse to believe we will not get anything less than band 1 for Josh. The club has probably had ongoing convos with Josh and would be well aware of his offers. Judging by Ross’s presser the clubs happy to let him go if we get band 1 and I’m positive that’s what it will be
💯

A genius system created by geniuses you say?

The geniuses on the radio say there should be " no " compensation.
The compensation is that it free's up the salary to do as you will.
They are too stupid to realize that bottom dwelling teams are already overpaying people who don't deserve it, and more money won't help them rise up. If they spend that cap to get players in from other clubs, they will attract older players , and that's the opposite demographic to what they should be looking at.

They need to get it through their thick heads that the systems used in USA and Europe , with their vast funds , will not work here.

Maybe with our compensation pick after it turns out to be Tier 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back