2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

You know I have no problem in shopping contracted assets, after all it is a ruthless business and if someone offered something silly, well it has to be rationally considered.
What irks me is that the club was too dumb to get coverage. This meant Battle was UFA not RFA therefore no ability to match.

Whatever way it is looked at, it is a very poor management decision.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The geniuses on the radio say there should be " no " compensation.
The compensation is that it free's up the salary to do as you will.
They are too stupid to realize that bottom dwelling teams are already overpaying people who don't deserve it, and more money won't help them rise up. If they spend that cap to get players in from other clubs, they will attract older players , and that's the opposite demographic to what they should be looking at.

They need to get it through their thick heads that the systems used in USA and Europe , with their vast funds , will not work here.

It’s a hard one because it encourages low sides to gamble to get picks. It makes them less competitive and makes the top teams stronger. St Kilda are like a problem gambler hoping for short cuts and never looking for a destination.

Lyon is happy to bottom out because he can stay employed for a decade regardless of results. We hand over if he gets the list right.

It’s a hard one because it encourages low sides to gamble to get picks. It makes them less competitive and makes the top teams stronger. St Kilda are like a problem gambler hoping for short cuts and never looking for a destination.

Lyon is happy to bottom out because he can stay employed for a decade regardless of results. We hand over if he gets the list right.

I agree.
The whole , "let the good 25 year old player walk out for a draft pick compo " scenario is messed up.
After last years draft i'm very content to draft a few players each year and stop trying to be clever.
I'd rather have people who are "clever" at picking players ( Garcia/Shoenmaker) than clever at swapping picks and stuff.

I agree.
The whole , "let the good 25 year old player walk out for a draft pick compo " scenario is messed up.
After last years draft i'm very content to draft a few players each year and stop trying to be clever.
I'd rather have people who are "clever" at picking players ( Garcia/Shoenmaker) than clever at swapping picks and stuff.
But it also makes no sense, they way things are going we will leapfrog over Melbourne if we win tomorrow.
How does that help us? We needed to tank v Geelong and tomorrow. As it is Fold Coast is behind us.
Hate Carlton but want half decent picks.

But it also makes no sense, they way things are going we will leapfrog over Melbourne if we win tomorrow.
How does that help us? We needed to tank v Geelong and tomorrow. As it is Fold Coast is behind us.

Makes stuff all difference.
Its not like any player in the draft will be amazingly better than the next.

Yes but some players fit our team better going forward. Bombers are suffering atm from taking best available mids every year

Lol we're suffering from taking bad draft picks most years. Nearly all teams have good player in their list spread through the last decade that they drafted.

Makes stuff all difference.
Its not like any player in the draft will be amazingly better than the next.
To tell you the truth these games are instilling confidence in the kids we have in the team , every win strengthens the players belief in them selves.

Gold Coast have been getting high top end draft picks for over a decade and they are below us so that top end draft pick may well be preferred but you can pick up gems around anywhere in the first round if get the right player.
pick 18 - Wilson
pick 10 - Phillipou
pick 11 - Nas

Don't get me wrong I want the highest draft pick possible but winning is more important

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s all about culture. I love the unflinching focus on improvement at the club. That’s a necessary ingredient for good culture and underpins excellence.

Hopefully we play well and smash the blues, as we should with the current injury list at Ikon Park.

That would mean our back half of the season has been positive and helps create a momentum that can ignite a strong off season.

And that means whomever we pick up in the offseason, they will be joining a club that’s hell bent on development and growth and winning.

If we had to pick a bolter in this years draft mine would be - Cooper Hynes ave 26 disposals, nearly 2 goals and 4 marks a game.

He didnt get a lot of midfield minutes in the champs, if he had of I think he would be rated as high as Langford.
He’s my boy and he’s going to be a star. He captains the stingrays and is an amazing leader. Future afl skipper. Someone will luck out with him

He’s my boy and he’s going to be a star. He captains the stingrays and is an amazing leader. Future afl skipper. Someone will luck out with him

This draft feels like the middle will turn up a few steals like a Merret or Montagna. Maybe even a Sam Mitchell.

This draft feels like the middle will turn up a few steals like a Merret or Montagna. Maybe even a Sam Mitchell.

It would be so St Kilda to miss out on them because we have a commitment to F/S, NGA and the Zeb selection.

It’s all about culture. I love the unflinching focus on improvement at the club. That’s a necessary ingredient for good culture and underpins excellence.

Hopefully we play well and smash the blues, as we should with the current injury list at Ikon Park.

That would mean our back half of the season has been positive and helps create a momentum that can ignite a strong off season.

And that means whomever we pick up in the offseason, they will be joining a club that’s hell bent on development and growth and winning.
I agree with this sentiment but I very much believe we need access to two elite young mids, and a win this weekend puts us back in the position where we may have to reach again for players who might translate into mids.

I don’t think winning or losing tomorrow makes a huge difference in the scheme of things to be honest and too much gets said about the importance of winning the final home and away game for offseason momentum into the next season.

Either way, we’ve finished the season much better than we started and there will be increased belief amongst the playing group going into summer that we’re on the right track.

I will say, that the language and actions of the club and those running it are much stronger and more definitive than that of previous administrations it seems we are all pulling in the same direction finally.

I agree with this sentiment but I very much believe we need access to two elite young mids, and a win this weekend puts us back in the position where we may have to reach again for players who might translate into mids.

I don’t think winning or losing tomorrow makes a huge difference in the scheme of things to be honest and too much gets said about the importance of winning the final home and away game for offseason momentum into the next season.

Either way, we’ve finished the season much better than we started and there will be increased belief amongst the playing group going into summer that we’re on the right track.

I will say, that the language and actions of the club and those running it are much stronger and more definitive than that of previous administrations it seems we are all pulling in the same direction finally.
Just watching a bit of CoatesLeague - Lalor just looks so good. Has to go top 4/5. Grrrrr

If we had to pick a bolter in this years draft mine would be - Cooper Hynes ave 26 disposals, nearly 2 goals and 4 marks a game.

He didnt get a lot of midfield minutes in the champs, if he had of I think he would be rated as high as Langford.
And he's literally the perfect player for us. Speedy forward half player like Warner and Henry. Start career at half forward and eventually move into the midfield. Him and Lalor are exactly what we need from the draft this year

l
Just watching a bit of CoatesLeague - Lalor just looks so good. Has to go top 4/5. Grrrrr

Just not sure that he’s a pure mid. Maybe Petracca or Stringer if everything goes to plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back