2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just think that’s a lazy catch all. We probably need an elite player for the midfield but don’t ignore other needs. Phillipou comes on and a fit current midfield and we look a different side. A lot will be pushed out to depth. Train or looks a gun and we need to replace Battle. I think he is a potential gun forward too.

You are jumping at shadows. You have been leading the charge on the call for mifielders all year and now we've lost Battle you've rolled over. Trainor is good mids are better....

But he drafted Stephens at pick 5 so he is automatically shit and the club sucks !

He’s had an average run at Sydney over all. Only one of those players was in the open draft. Our three guys that were robbed of AA spots were all off the rookie list. Doesn’t make our rookie list the place we should build our list from. Like players you are only as good as your last game. Bont was 12 years ago.

You are jumping at shadows. You have been leading the charge on the call for mifielders all year and now we've lost Battle you've rolled over. Trainor is good mids are better....

We need elite mids not bulk mids and you can’t ignore other roles. We should always take best available. I think something like Langford and Reid works because they are different enough to both play even with the existing mids. But if all the good mids are gone and Trainor is there, I’m not reaching and taking Gross just because he’s a mid.

We need elite mids not bulk mids and you can’t ignore other roles. We should always take best available. I think something like Langford and Reid works because they are different enough to both play even with the existing mids. But if all the good mids are gone and Trainor is there, I’m not reaching and taking Gross just because he’s a mid.
There’s no way Jagga FOS Draper Smillie Lalor Langford are all gone before our pick. Almost certain one will slide

I’d look at bringing our future first into this year. Next year’s draft is reportedly weaker (we’ll see) and next year we can trade two years in advance if we want to bring one back in to this year. I’d look at swapping F1 with Essendon and having 7,8,9 splitting one to get two late teens firsts and then trade up into the top 5. Go in with let’s say 5, 7, 18

Lalor, Langford/Reid/Trainor and whatever magic 🪄 pick Dalrymple turns the late first into.

We need bulk first round talent in. I’d put our over/under ladder position at 10th next year. If we finish lower again then clubs will expect future firsts to be similar so it won’t be difficult to get back in the top 10.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s no way Jagga FOS Draper Smillie Lalor Langford are all gone before our pick. Almost certain one will slide

Are Lalor and Smilie going to be full time AFL mids? I reckon they could be a bit more like Owens. FOS, Jagga and Draper nearly certainly gone. Smilie probably is too. Langford most likely of them to slide to us.

I’d look at bringing our future first into this year. Next year’s draft is reportedly weaker (we’ll see) and next year we can trade two years in advance if we want to bring one back in to this year. I’d look at swapping F1 with Essendon and having 7,8,9 splitting one to get two late teens firsts and then trade up into the top 5. Go in with let’s say 5, 7, 18

Lalor, Langford/Reid/Trainor and whatever magic 🪄 pick Dalrymple turns the late first into.

We need bulk first round talent in. I’d put our over/under ladder position at 10th next year. If we finish lower again then clubs will expect future firsts to be similar so it won’t be difficult to get back in the top 10.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Other clubs need an incentive to move out of this draft into next. Why would Essendon do that?

Other clubs need an incentive to move out of this draft into next. Why would Essendon do that?

Sure, Well for them it would be the possibility we finish low on the ladder again. We could flirt with taking Kako at 8 (10 on the night) which isn’t completely out of the realm of possibility. If we wanted to sweeten it we could throw something else in as well as they will need picks to match the Kako bid which they don’t have a heap of at the minute.

Are Lalor and Smilie going to be full time AFL mids? I reckon they could be a bit more like Owens. FOS, Jagga and Draper nearly certainly gone. Smilie probably is too. Langford most likely of them to slide to us.
Smillie is definitely a mid, no doubt about it

Lalor will start as a forward but if he builds his tank he will also be a mid - ultimately depends which club he lands at that can give him the opportunity to develop

If you wanted to be smart you'd actually take advantage of clubs that are desperate to move into this year's draft. There's a clear market inefficiency here where you can absolutely take advantage of a desperate draft and extract a crapload of capital next year for far less this year.

I’m just concerned that we will fall behind clubs like Richmond when we project our ‘premiership window’ will be open in 2027 if we don’t get that top 5 undeniable talent in.

This draft it looks like they will have 1, 6, 9, 10/12, 17, 20, 21, 22 and 29. Which is insane and they will likely look to trade up with North and into next year. They get the top players in the next two drafts and have the ‘big’ club aura to attract free agents to supplement when they all come of age.

Its great to pick the eyes out of the draft in Nas, Phillipou, Wilson etc. but on our trajectory we won’t finish bottom 5 again before 26/27 so how are we going to get that Bont/Trac/De Goey/LDU type otherwise (no LDU isn’t very likely to come to us)

We are in danger of remaining 6th to 10th unless we go bold.

I’d love to see us do what Port Adelaide did to get Horne-Francis type. I know there isn’t an exact like for like situation available but along those lines.

If you wanted to be smart you'd actually take advantage of clubs that are desperate to move into this year's draft. There's a clear market inefficiency here where you can absolutely take advantage of a desperate draft and extract a crapload of capital next year for far less this year.
But we are one of those desperate clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is I would like two of those. Need a Trainor, Reid (I know some love him and I can see the talent) or someone like Travaglia or a tall forward. Very hard to see the first 3 getting through. Jagga’s size - seems a 100-1 shot. Could even see Lalor going top 3. Smilie and Langford quite possibly there.

But then talk is that next year’s is weak with the Vics clearly being weak and that tends to drive depth at the very least. And pushes out the capacity to create some attraction for future FAs by a year.

Two top 10 draft pick midfielders would tip us over the edge in the best of ways.

Gives Windy, Phillipou, NAS, Owens, Garcia, Wilson (and to a lesser degree, Clark, Henry, Byrnes and Dow) another two top quality prospect comrades to develop with as a young group.

We will want as many young leader-types in there as possible, and we should be prizing competitiveness too because we sure as hell know that Phillipou, Windy and Owens are the type to compete with each other and drive standards. Throw in maybe an explosive X factor type to foil Phillipou and you’ve got dynamite.

Not even mentioning the young potential of Collard, Keeler, Shoenmaker and whoever else we pick up in the draft or Elwood Peckett. And I’d be looking for a young ruck next, though I hold hope for Heath.

I think the psychology then dramatically centres around that core. Whilst Steele, Sinclair, Marshall and co grandfather them in.

Assuming Band 1 comes in, this will be a hugely important capper draft for us.

But we are one of those desperate clubs.

I think we are desperate because we make short term decisions. Make enough good decisions over a long period of time and we'll be fine. I no longer care about short term sugar hits. If someone wants to overpay to get in this draft, and we have a band 1 battle compo, i'd flog it quickly.
On the draft stuff: no one truly knows 12 months ahead. People talk themselves in and out of drafts all the time. Keep acquiring assets.

A minor tragedy occurred in this game. Through one and a bit quarters of football we'd been treated to one of the best head to head battles of the year between Lindsay and Langford, directly matched up on each other in the middle and each at the absolute top of their game. Unfortunately we lost Xavier to a suspected PCL injury, cutting short the spectacle and probably cutting short his season given how few weeks we have remaining.

In his one quarter and 4 mins of play Lindsay racked up 11 disposals and 5 clearances showing just how hot a start he'd made.

But then talk is that next year’s is weak with the Vics clearly being weak and that tends to drive depth at the very least. And pushes out the capacity to create some attraction for future FAs by a year.

We've done very well with players drafted from interstate. Pou and NMW have been pretty massive hits. Think we need to back ourselves in if the opportunity presents.
BTW, i'm not saying trade out of this draft entirely, certainly not. But if we have 2 1st rounders and somebody wants to overpay, i'm here for it.

Problem is I would like two of those. Need a Trainor, Reid (I know some love him and I can see the talent) or someone like Travaglia or a tall forward. Very hard to see the first 3 getting through. Jagga’s size - seems a 100-1 shot. Could even see Lalor going top 3. Smilie and Langford quite possibly there.
i think Dalrymple will be very keen on Travaglia. Same for Taj, Lindsay, Hynes so we gotta just split that compo pick (if we get it)

Its all speculation mate, Im sure there will be midfield options available at our first picks. Perhaps not the ones you and other supporters want, but Im sure the club have it covered. Go and have a look at the key defender combinations from the past grand final winners. There wont be many top 10 key defenders (exception Darcy Moore), but plenty of midfielders taken in that range that played major roles in there wins.

We need A grade mids and nothing changes that and they are generally taken high in the drafts. We can find a Battle replacement much cheaper at a later point in the draft eg Mraz, OFarrell, Matt Whitlock, Barratt, Tuaru, Nicholls plus the club will back themselves to get Shoenmaker and Cole up to speed. There is less a chance of finding the quality midfielders we need later in the draft, plus the club might even split their compensation pick and if that happens Trainor wont be the first pick.

Im sure I have also read you quote "that you dont use top 10 picks on key defenders", I think sometimes your posting is that prolific you forget what you have quoted. But at least its entertaining...

Last edited:
Its all speculation mate, Im sure there will be midfield options available at our first picks. Perhaps not the ones you and other supporters want, but Im sure the club have it covered. Go and have a look at the key defender combinations from the past grand final winners. There wont be many top 10 key defenders (exception Darcy Moore), but plenty of midfielders taken in that range that played major roles in there wins.

We need A grade mids and nothing changes that and they are generally taken high in the drafts. We can find a Battle replacement much cheaper at a later point in the draft eg Mraz, OFarrell, Matt Whitlock, Barratt, Tuaru, Nicholls plus the club will back themselves to get Shoenmaker and Cole up to speed. There is less a chance of finding the quality midfielders we need later in the draft, plus the club might even split their compensation pick and if that happens Trainor wont be the first pick.

Im sure I have also read you quote "that you dont use top 10 picks on key defenders", I think sometimes your posting is that prolific you forget what you have quoted. But at least its entertaining...

Trainor seems to be a bit outside the square though.

Next year looks shit. This one runs really deep but has less absolute standout compared to most years. Reckon you could find stars in the 20s and early 30s, I would rather keep our picks in this one.

i think Dalrymple will be very keen on Travaglia. Same for Taj, Lindsay, Hynes so we gotta just split that compo pick (if we get it)

Out: 7,8 Future 1st
In: 4-5, 8, 14-18

Draft:

Lalor, Reid/Langford and Travaglia

Get it done

Next year Trade back into the first round of 2025 with our 2027 First rounder

Few clubs could look to split or trade out:

North Melbourne at 2,

West Coast at 3 (unlikely unless they trade back a spot with Adelaide for Draper),

Adelaide at 4 (if Draper is gone),

Gold Coast at 6 (Unlikely but if they were smart they would because 6 for Rioli is overs)

Essendon at 9 if we threaten the Kako bid

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back