2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s had an average run at Sydney over all. Only one of those players was in the open draft. Our three guys that were robbed of AA spots were all off the rookie list. Doesn’t make our rookie list the place we should build our list from. Like players you are only as good as your last game. Bont was 12 years ago.
How long was he at Sydney?

Mock top 10

Pre-draft / live draft trades

1. North Melbourne trade 2 to Richmond for 6 and 10
2. West Coast trade 3 to Adelaide for 4 and 25

Richmond: Pick 1 - Jagga Smith
Richmond: Pick 2 - Finn O’Sullivan
Adelaide: Pick 3 - Sid Draper
West Coast: Pick 4 - Sam Lalor
Melbourne: Pick 5 - Harvey Langford
North Melbourne: Pick 6 - Luke Trainor
St Kilda: Pick 7 - Murphy Reid
St Kilda: Pick 8 - ????
Essendon: Pick 9 - Harry Armstrong
North Melbourne: Pick 10 - Josh Smillie

Reid and Smillie would be a sensational haul.

I’d back our coaching staff to get Smillie to achieve his potential and to get his attitude right. Lyon and co would get him to knuckle down.

He looks to a genuine beast. An overused term, but it applies to him. I’d be staggered if he slid to us but what do I know.

Reid looks to be a player as well. Both would be a fabulous combination.

We can’t really go wrong. All of the top 8 looks terrific.

Out: 7,8 Future 1st
In: 4-5, 8, 14-18

Draft:

Lalor, Reid/Langford and Travaglia

Get it done

Next year Trade back into the first round of 2025 with our 2027 First rounder

Few clubs could look to split or trade out:

North Melbourne at 2,

West Coast at 3 (unlikely unless they trade back a spot with Adelaide for Draper),

Adelaide at 4 (if Draper is gone),

Gold Coast at 6 (Unlikely but if they were smart they would because 6 for Rioli is overs)

Essendon at 9 if we threaten the Kako bid
Love this.

If we could get either Reid or Langford, big strong influencial mids and Travaglia, elite athlete and user like a Will Day, I am sold. Make a huge impact.
I am not sure how, but then a Peatley from GWS or Houston puts us in a terrific position.
How we could do this with picks and trades, especially for the later two I am unsure but, imagine bringing all of that in.

I’d back our coaching staff to get Smillie to achieve his potential and to get his attitude right. Lyon and co would get him to knuckle down.

He looks to a genuine beast. An overused term, but it applies to him. I’d be staggered if he slid to us but what do I know.

Problem with that duo is that it doesn't address our most critical problem in the middle which is speed

We're just stacking similar types on top of each other until eventually we have too many and have to do a fire sale

If Reid is the only one available at 8 then split the pick. He's a great player and will be a good AFL player, but is just not what we need. Get Hotton and Hynes instead who actually solve issues

Love this.

If we could get either Reid or Langford, big strong influencial mids and Travaglia, elite athlete and user like a Will Day, I am sold. Make a huge impact.
I am not sure how, but then a Peatley from GWS or Houston puts us in a terrific position.
How we could do this with picks and trades, especially for the later two I am unsure but, imagine bringing all of that in.
Future 1st alone might not be enough, but at a stretch and by slightly overpaying I think we can make a compelling play for Pick 2,3,4 or 6, keep one of 7/8 and get a later end of first round pick.

Theres been talk of us aiming for 3 first round picks this year. I really want to make sure one of them is inside the top 5 to get that absolute top-line mid and then snag one of the sliders at the end of the top 8. Then snag a Dalrymple special at the end of the first round.

Problem with that duo is that it doesn't address our most critical problem in the middle which is speed

We're just stacking similar types on top of each other until eventually we have too many and have to do a fire sale

If Reid is the only one available at 8 then split the pick. He's a great player and will be a good AFL player, but is just not what we need. Get Hotton and Hynes instead who actually solve issues

Who would you take first. Reid or Smillie?

Who would you take first. Reid or Smillie?
Smillie any day

Has the upside to become a genuine superstar in the comp if he fulfills his potential. Massive size, contested beast, solid kicking skills, and relatively quick. He'd just need to work on the tank to fit into the RTB system - take notes from Pou as a fellow 190cm+ player

Reid has elite hands and is as classy as any player in this pool, but I don't like his lack of speed and the way he's always backward handballing. A player whose natural instinct is to go backwards even when relieved of pressure is not the type I want especially with the team we've got that's all about forward running. He also doesn't have any standout physical attributes. If he's top 5 in the time trial then maybe but I doubt it. Plus, we already have Garcia and Windy as those smaller types of mids

Either way, I think Dalrymple takes Langford over both of them (assuming he tests well in the time trial)

Smillie any day

Has the upside to become a genuine superstar in the comp if he fulfills his potential. Massive size, contested beast, solid kicking skills, and relatively quick. He'd just need to work on the tank to fit into the RTB system - take notes from Pou as a fellow 190cm+ player

Reid has elite hands and is as classy as any player in this pool, but I don't like his lack of speed and the way he's always backward handballing. A player whose natural instinct is to go backwards even when relieved of pressure is not the type I want especially with the team we've got that's all about forward running. He also doesn't have any standout physical attributes. If he's top 5 in the time trial then maybe but I doubt it. Plus, we already have Garcia and Windy as those smaller types of mids

Either way, I think Dalrymple takes Langford over both of them (assuming he tests well in the time trial)

Excuse my ignorance because you know much more about this than I do.

If using the previous mentioned phantom, if Smillie was available at our first pick (7/8) and we drafted him, what would you do with our next pick (8/9) if Reid was still there?

Split the pick? Reach for another player (mid)? Take next best available even if it was Reid?

His metro v country game was incredible
He is very
Smillie any day

smilie definitely has the scope to be a top top player. Usually at that height guys like that are much slower through the stoppage.

Cripps
Josh Kennedy
Jobe Watson
Nat’s Fyfe
David Mundy etc ( I think would be his ideal comp)

Smilie seems to have really good power out the stoppage.

I see Reid’s cieling at like Caleb Serong.

I'm a big fan of Cooper Hynes. How far would you reach for him?

Excuse my ignorance because you know much more about this than I do.

If using the previous mentioned phantom, if Smillie was available at our first pick (7/8) and we drafted him, what would you do with our next pick (8/9) if Reid was still there?

Split the pick? Reach for another player (mid)? Take next best available even if it was Reid?
I would take Smillie and Reid. I am not as concerned with speed in the mids as others. Win the ball and our outside players are quick.
We score better from any team from the back half, our wingers hbf's and forwards are quick, Jones, Garcia are quick mids, Reid is not slow.
I think it is overblown in my opinion.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

A purely speculative scenario for Saints:
- Saints with picks 7 & 8 swap, pick 7 & Membrey to North for Pick 2

- North dont need more mid fielders and can secure a forward plus not reaching and overpaying for a key position player in the draft. Saints secure one of the key mids we want and retain pick 7. If not what else would need to be done to make this pick happen (apart from guaranteeing not to bid on LDU in 2025)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- North dont need more mid fielders and can secure a forward plus not reaching and overpaying for a key position player in the draft. Saints secure one of the key mids we want and retain pick 7. If not what else would need to be done to make this pick happen (apart from guaranteeing not to bid on LDU)?
Nice to hear from you SS 🤙

- North dont need more mid fielders and can secure a forward plus not reaching and overpaying for a key position player in the draft. Saints secure one of the key mids we want and retain pick 7. If not what else would need to be done to make this pick happen (apart from guaranteeing not to bid on LDU in 2025)?
Sorry to be a grinch but Members is an UFA. Clubs won't trade for him, let alone to that value.

Membrey will be free to a club that wants him he's an unrestricted free agent, they're not going to give up a top ten pick for him. If it was a trade it would be a token one like pick 79 or something like that.

You are jumping at shadows. You have been leading the charge on the call for mifielders all year and now we've lost Battle you've rolled over. Trainor is good mids are better....
No one in their right mind is passing on Trainor to reach for a mid they might rate 10 places below him on talent. We need mids and yes we’ve needed them for years but we have other needs as well. With back to back picks it will all depend on who we rate and who’s there. Surely we’re a near certainty to take a mid with pick seven after that I’m not so sure.

We have a trade period to get through first, what if we managed to get Peatling and McRae. If Trainor was still on the board are you going to pass on him ?.

I really like that Reid/Smilie combo too Neil.

Is there any factual basis to the growing 'Smilie has a shit attitude & is lazy' view?

Cal suggested that he was crook during the championships (not surprising with the number of winter lurgies that have been doing the rounds of Melbourne over the past few months).

I would take Smillie and Reid. I am not as concerned with speed in the mids as others. Win the ball and our outside players are quick.
We score better from any team from the back half, our wingers hbf's and forwards are quick, Jones, Garcia are quick mids, Reid is not slow.
I think it is overblown in my opinion.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Henry will play a lot more through the midfield in future too.

Smilie & Scud doing the heavy lifting, Windy & Hugo for burst, Henry to put on the afterburners... we just need some silk to finish off their work.

Reid seems to be one of the best options who might still be available.

He's long been touted the best kick in the draft so I wouldn't be surprised

It's just that he lacks speed. Combine testing will determine his true range

It's a bit similar to Nas in his draft year - minus the candy-selling and more of a mature body
To be fair Al you think everyone lacks speed 😂. He looks like he moves extremely well to me. If we did happen to finish with 3 picks in the top 20 then he would be a good pairing with, say, a Lalor or Langford at 7, and a Hines/Gross pick very late first round. As a winger, he’s probably not a need, so it would depend if he could play a mix in the midfield as well.

if we could land langford with 7 then somehow split 8 for lindsay and hotton I'll be happy as a pig in shit... not possible but a man can dream
I suspect that an extra tall or two will rise (or already are at the level in the minds of recruiters). Guys like Armstrong could be top 10, Shanahan might not be far away, the Whitlocks, O’Farrell etc could be top 20. Someone will be attracted by Dodson. Someone currently on the boards at 10-13 will get through to late teens.

This will be posted on North’s board. Sorry, but no one here would even contemplate that in reverse.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back