2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

When you are drafting you are trying to predict a player that will be a star in 5 to 10 years. Junior form can be a preview of a brilliant player or a kid who for what ever reason is out in front of his peers but limited in future scope.

Langford also won one of the awards and probably was the most even over the whole champs and Coates league. Seems to have firmed him into the front end of the draft a bit more.
Jeez, it’s all going off in the Trade thread.

When you are drafting you are trying to predict a player that will be a star in 5 to 10 years. Junior form can be a preview of a brilliant player or a kid who for what ever reason is out in front of his peers but limited in future scope.

Langford also won one of the awards and probably was the most even over the whole champs and Coates league. Seems to have firmed him into the front end of the draft a bit more.
Fun fact..we have two, Stocker and Higgins

The last MM to go Pick 1 was Matthew Kreuzer in 2007, but if players like JHF and Harley Reid were absolute standout Pick 1's..why would they not win it?

Good point. I can't answer that.

It's good to see Xavier Lindsay is in people's thoughts after he won the Morrish Medal. I saw a post expressing concern re his contested stats during the championships, but we have to remember he played on a wing for the majority of the carnival. Another was he lacked speed, well from anything I've seen his speed and run are some of his biggest strengths. He played as a full time midfielder for Gippsland but unfortunately his contested disposal break down stats aren't available on the CTL app. He does average 2.7 tpg whereas Smith averages 3 tpg which gives an indication he doesn't mind the physical stuff.

I just had a read of the Melbourne FC draft board and they are all wanting Murphy Reid, which means little but his game is being appreciated by most supporter groups.

If we keep both early picks I am confident we will take two excellent midfielders, who will complement the players we already have. It will be a great draft so lets hope we can find ways of hanging onto our picks and possibly even collecting some more later picks. There are at least 20 players I would love outside of Twomeys top 30.

It's interesting to see how other clubs have planned and gathered a heap of picks for this draft, whereas our list management planning seems to be a year to year. We are forever playing catchup, hopefully we can get in front of the curve moving forward.
Who do you like outside the top 30 out of interest? Not enough draft stuff News going on a the moment! I posted roughly 10 the other day.

It's good to see Xavier Lindsay is in people's thoughts after he won the Morrish Medal. I saw a post expressing concern re his contested stats during the championships, but we have to remember he played on a wing for the majority of the carnival. Another was he lacked speed, well from anything I've seen his speed and run are some of his biggest strengths. He played as a full time midfielder for Gippsland but unfortunately his contested disposal break down stats aren't available on the CTL app. He does average 2.7 tpg whereas Smith averages 3 tpg which gives an indication he doesn't mind the physical stuff.

I just had a read of the Melbourne FC draft board and they are all wanting Murphy Reid, which means little but his game is being appreciated by most supporter groups.

If we keep both early picks I am confident we will take two excellent midfielders, who will complement the players we already have. It will be a great draft so lets hope we can find ways of hanging onto our picks and possibly even collecting some more later picks. There are at least 20 players I would love outside of Twomeys top 30.

It's interesting to see how other clubs have planned and gathered a heap of picks for this draft, whereas our list management planning seems to be a year to year. We are forever playing catchup, hopefully we can get in front of the curve moving forward.
But for every Richmond there’s a Port or a Dogs.

I've been feasting on Lindsay highlights. He looks exceptional, so quick and a beautiful raking left. Only issue I can see is he NEVER uses his right foot, not that that necessarily means he can't.

The last MM to go Pick 1 was Matthew Kreuzer in 2007, but if players like JHF and Harley Reid were absolute standout Pick 1's..why would they not win it?
Lots of kids play APS and there are CTL games that sometimes interfere with Champs games.

Stocker has a Morrish Medal as well as Oliver

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who do you like outside the top 30 out of interest? Not enough draft stuff News going on a the moment! I posted roughly 10 the other day.

There are so many - McKenzie, Ough, Ivisic, Simms, Gerryn, OFarrell, Johnson, Sulzberger, Kennedy, Mraz, Barratt, Davis, Urquart, Murphy, Anderson, Nicholls, Day-Wicks, Grego, Retscko, Smith, Douglas, Jacques, Impey etc plus a number of FS & NGA's.

Last edited:
Every time I watch Chad Warner I instantly think we could have our own version of him with Cooper Hynes...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its more likely than people think with Dalrymple prioritising needs over best available. Tobie would fit our running game perfectly and his aggression and competitiveness mean he's low bust factor imo. Sooo similar to Will Day

Idk about Lindsay's mental side but I think that'll be a decisive factor for where he goes in the draft whether it be late top 10 or late teens. If recruiters like his competitiveness, dedication, and work ethic then they'd probably imagine him as a future Gulden. If not, could be a Stephens

Yeah I think Hynes will be 18-22 which is unfortunate for us. I wonder if we'd consider live trading to move our 2nd rounder up for him if we do miss out on all of the explosive talents in the top 10. Otherwise maybe Moraes or a key tall
I know you can't tell much from footage but there's something with young Lindsay goes about his business that makes me think he's pick of the crop mentally, which is mostly why l like him. I didn't know his kicking was a standout till recently either.
I'm hoping SOS can get us more into the first round. Easier said than done as most clubs will be wanting in quite significantly.

I know you can't tell much from footage but there's something with young Lindsay goes about his business that makes me think he's pick of the crop mentally, which is mostly why l like him. I didn't know his kicking was a standout till recently either.
I'm hoping SOS can get us more into the first round. Easier said than done as most clubs will be wanting in quite significantly.
It feels like Lindsay might be this year's Darcy Wilson with more skills and less athleticism (aerobic capacity, leap). Similar positions, similar size, similar role, and similar kind of 'slipping under the radar'. Both players on the edge of the top crop of players as consensus late first rounders

Both players also with a standout attribute in the crop. Wilson was the best runner, while Lindsay is the best kick, hence why both were/are always around this first round conversation

There are so many - McKenzie, Ough, Ivisic, Simms, Gerryn, OFarrell, Johnson, Mraz, Barratt, Davis, Urquart, Murphy, Anderson, Nicholls, Day-Wicks, Grego, Retscko, Smith, Douglas, Jacques, Impey etc plus a number of FS & NGA's.
Yep, some talent there. I like O’Farrell, Gerryn, Barratt for later tall options, perhaps even Mraz, but injured … or Davis and Johnson as non talls. Hamish Davis is very intriguing.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back