2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

This draft is good because players right up until 30 or so are still high quality. The front end is not as strong as a lot of years. If you sell a future first for a pick in the teens and it ends up pick 4 or 6 in 2025 you'll regret it later.

It's not like you can play 4 to 6 new kids in the side next year. You want to be getting massive overs to sell your future picks. First rounders are nearly untouchable unless they are for an exceptional talent. Maybe if we trade it on the night because someone has slid right out you think about it but should never be done flippantly.
Nar. If there's a player you want and you think he's worth a first then you do it.
Holding fire in case you finish bottom 5 is loser mentality if you're gunning for finals next year.

I don't have to. If the price is not right, then this trade we simply do not bring any older players in (Though most likely the club will find someone). Macrae could be one if he is salary dump for Dogs. If the Dogs want too how a trade price then he is not.

My point is more to not be fixated for immediate gain next year, but to rather give greater weight to build around our younger core.

If we could trade in a gun in his mid-twenties then go for it. I am sure the club thought long at hard about Houston at 27, but in the end him not being an out and out mid probably cooled their interest despite him being a quality player who could play many years.
Agree, either absolutely all in or hold the cash and take the picks. With a so called one if the best in the comp recruiters, I don’t get not having a big lash at least this year. Particularly those 2nd, 3rds etc where he may be able to show his value.
Personally, Hayes, Paton, and harsh given his injuries, but Hotton should all be moved on. I may be missing one or two more who haven’t yet been offered a contract.

This draft is good because players right up until 30 or so are still high quality.

So you can see why the Tigers are ok to let so many good players go. While it will mean a world of hurt for them in 2025+, the swag of good picks that they will have in a deep draft is going to fast track their rebuild.

Add to this year' haul the No 1 pick next year, and quite probably the year after, and they may already have a pretty decent new core to keep building on.

I haven’t paid a lot of attention to the draft up until recently. It’s looking bloody good and very even. But like always the player we pick is only half of the job. We must get development right.
Feel like our development led by Damian Carroll last few years has been good. The only fails have been the injury-proned guys - Allison, JVE, Hotton*. Caminiti, Byrnes, Garcia, Arie, Keeler the later picks who are showing good promise

The Saints guy and Cooney went through Sydney's drafting since 2021. Apart from their AFL corrupt gifts, the NGA's, they have been very ordinary.
Dalrymple has a reputation and talked up on here. Same with Toce whom we let go for Dalrymple.
I don't think Toce was a messiah and there were plenty of other recruiters, but he went out of the box in 2020 to get to SA through quarantine.
I would say this trip resulted, certainly in Wilkie and Sharman, and would have influenced the NAZ and Pou drafting.

Dalrymple and SoS have to nail this trading and drafting period. Dalrymple had some big hits at the Bulldogs and wasn't too bad at Sydney.
Pressure is on him and the people who moved Toce on for him.
I liked Toce for the reasons outlined above, but not wedded to him. Same with SoS or Dalrymple. Need to justify this change considering the relative 'failures' at Sydney.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Saints guy and Cooney went through Sydney's drafting since 2021. Apart from their AFL corrupt gifts, the NGA's, they have been very ordinary.
Dalrymple has a reputation and talked up on here. Same with Toce whom we let go for Dalrymple.
I don't think Toce was a messiah and there were plenty of other recruiters, but he went out of the box in 2020 to get to SA through quarantine.
I would say this trip resulted, certainly in Wilkie and Sharman, and would have influenced the NAZ and Pou drafting.

Dalrymple and SoS have to nail this trading and drafting period. Dalrymple had some big hits at the Bulldogs and wasn't too bad at Sydney.
I liked Toce for the reasons outlined above, but not wedded to him. Same with SoS or Dalrymple. Need to justify this change considering the relative 'failures' at Sydney.

It's obviously still early but last year's trade and draft look good. Henry was an excellent pickup. And the deal to get a future second and still take Wilson was awesome. Wilson looks a brilliant draft pick. Jury still out on Dow, hopefully he can prove his worth. Other draftees it's still early days but it looks like a good crop.

But you're spot on, this year we need to nail it. If we get the pick 8 compo, this is our chance to really put something together. There'll be sliders and heaps of highly rated kids available at those picks. We have the chance to set ourselves up, particularly at the draft, which means we can start to target free agents next year on.

Dalrymple and SOS can't afford to **** this up.

I would say this trip resulted, certainly in Wilkie
and Sharman, and would have influenced the NAZ and Pou drafting.

Huh?

You better check your timeline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was there prior to that as well. I reckon he was instrumental in getting Wilkie.

Oh yeah that's true. He was just made recruiting managers SA/WA in 2018 ( when we got Wilkie ).
Previously he'd been QLD/TAS/NSW/NT

So you can see why the Tigers are ok to let so many good players go. While it will mean a world of hurt for them in 2025+, the swag of good picks that they will have in a deep draft is going to fast track their rebuild.

Add to this year' haul the No 1 pick next year, and quite probably the year after, and they may already have a pretty decent new core to keep building on.

Doing what we tried to do post 2011. If they get it right it makes it short and sharp. Also got to get a lot of bulk work done before compromised drafts come in.

4vX7KFT.gif

The latest Rookie Me Central phantom draft (released today) -

If we walked away with Smillie, Draper and Hannaford l probably wouldn't be able to control myself. A sneaky F1st for Lindsey would see me humping the walls..

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back