2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting to feel like we will end up with 7. Reid and/or 8. Smilie.

1. J. Smith - Rich
2. H. Langford - Rich (Nth-P6+17)
3. S. Lalor - WC
4. S. Draper - Adel
5. F. O’Sullivan - Melb
6. H. Armstrong - Nth (Rich-P2), (GC-Rioli)
7. M. Reid - Stk
8. J. Smilie - Stk (B1-Battle)

• WC and Lalor is the best fit being a country lad and is probably that high or higher on most boards.
  • Adelaide left with little option but to take grumpy local lad. Would’ve loved to take Lalor.
  • I’m convinced Melbourne will go for the best available mid. They need some young quality in there. Already have two promising KPFs on the list.
  • Nth trade down and get their KPF and bank an extra pick in a great range for a KPD.
  • leaves stk with Reid at 7, Smilie at 8. Wouldn’t be upset but think it’s the least ideal scenario for us. Draper and Lalor seem the most suitable to me
Why would we draft that hack when anyone else at all is still available?

As long as Armstrong (I doubt Trainor will now), but as long as Armstrong is gone before us we should have two good options. The above scenario with FOS going at 5 hurts like hell though

Nth look very likely to take talls luckily for us and they will go Armstrong or Tauru now I think based on media spec. Trainor may slip all the way down to their would be P17.

Think it would be a coin flip for Melbourne between FOS/Reid in that scenario but think Melbourne are nervy about the game leaving them behind with speed and transition so rightly or wrongly will consider the stronger athletic profile of FOS preferable.

Reid looks very worthy of P7 and Smilie P8 so wouldn’t be all bad with those two.

Freo will want to shift a pick into next year for Warner and may be happy with our F1 for their P11. Reckon Travaglia, Lindsay, Hotton would all be great picks at 11 to pair with a Reid/Smilie combo.

We get B2 for Battle, we’re probably looking at a Hannerford, Hynes, maybe still Hotton instead of Smilie

Nth look very likely to take talls luckily for us and they will go Armstrong or Tauru now I think based on media spec. Trainor may slip all the way down to their would be P17.

Think it would be a coin flip for Melbourne between FOS/Reid in that scenario but think Melbourne are nervy about the game leaving them behind with speed and transition so rightly or wrongly will consider the stronger athletic profile of FOS preferable.

Reid looks very worthy of P7 and Smilie P8 so wouldn’t be all bad with those two.

Freo will want to shift a pick into next year for Warner and may be happy with our F1 for their P11. Reckon Travaglia, Lindsay, Hotton would all be great picks at 11 to pair with a Reid/Smilie combo.

We get B2 for Battle, we’re probably looking at a Hannerford, Hynes, maybe still Hotton instead of Smilie

Surprisingly, North don't have many tall mids - so the concern is that they may prefer one of Smillie or Langford, even Lalor as a point of difference to their midfield stocks.

I know us fans think North need key position talent but even in the mid season draft they went a mid over better key position options.

This draft has very good talls like the Whitlocks, Mraz, Sims etc - they all look like late first early second rounders. If I was selecting for North in this draft, I'd take the elite tall mid then a quality tall a bit later.

I thought Melbourne might be a chance, but they have taken a few talls early of late and probably want mid to replace Oliver and even an aging Viney type. They got the flag, now back to getting better picks than us - bloody frustrating.

I reckon we should try to get excited by someone like Lindsay to not be disappointed on draft night. With Trainor sliding we might not see one of the top mids get through to 8. Lindsay may still end up being a star, all is not completely lost.

Starting to feel like we will end up with 7. Reid and/or 8. Smilie.

1. J. Smith - Rich
2. H. Langford - Rich (Nth-P6+17)
3. S. Lalor - WC
4. S. Draper - Adel
5. F. O’Sullivan - Melb
6. H. Armstrong - Nth (Rich-P2), (GC-Rioli)
7. M. Reid - Stk
8. J. Smilie - Stk (B1-Battle)

• WC and Lalor is the best fit being a country lad and is probably that high or higher on most boards.
  • Adelaide left with little option but to take grumpy local lad. Would’ve loved to take Lalor.
  • I’m convinced Melbourne will go for the best available mid. They need some young quality in there. Already have two promising KPFs on the list.
  • Nth trade down and get their KPF and bank an extra pick in a great range for a KPD.
  • leaves stk with Reid at 7, Smilie at 8. Wouldn’t be upset but think it’s the least ideal scenario for us. Draper and Lalor seem the most suitable to me

There are so many variances its impossible to do a predicted draft at this stage. Prior to our pick/s Richmond, GCS, WCE all have wheels in motion. I think the only club we could be 90% sure on is Adelaide will take Draper if he gets through to their pick. If WCE dont use Pick #3 in their trading with Richmond then Draper could very well end up there. If North have eyes on a tall they may very well want to get a pick later in the draft, again depending on which clubs end up in front of them.

The only real certainty in this draft is that Levi Ashcroft is the best player in the draft and its a travesty that we wont be taken at pick #1.

Last edited:
Need to try to get another first round. Offer our future first to suns (12) and tigers (6 / 10 from freo) and see if they bite.
No reason to wait a yet to draft someone when the options are good now. Get the xtra development into them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Need to try to get another first round. Offer our future first to suns (12) and tigers (6 / 10 from freo) and see if they bite.
No reason to wait a yet to draft someone when the options are good now. Get the xtra development into them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% would be my move as well. Next year go stupidly hard for LDU, De Koning or Brayshaw with an offer they cannot refuse.

Pies did it this year in a way, by getting Perryman, it offsets not having a first rounder.

I'd make it known that 8 and F1 is up for sale in any number of ways. Pick 7 as well as long as it's to get a better pick.

I hope we are being super aggressive with our picks, especially the future F1

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back