2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Travaglia defends well, is a good mark and uses his legs. I think he needs to be a mid due to his average ball use as a halfback. Will need to get a lot better at ground ball to be a mid.

I prefer Lindsay. A bit light but that ball use will make a difference. He is an inside/outside mid and looks a lot like McCluggage.

Still plenty of great options at 7+8.

That there's no real consensus on who the top 2-3 players are (outside of Ashcroft) means that there could be some pretty wild stuff happening on draft night.

Add in North needing talls, Richmond having a pile of picks (meaning they can take some risks) and Essendon possibly trading up/out to avoid Kako eating their pick, and I rekon we're a shot at landing at least one of the guns.
Oh l agree. 7&8 are perfectly good.

I reckon we need to keep 7 and 8 and draft the best available with both, and then also find a way to get a pick around 15.

We could get:
Pick 7: Best available true Mid e.g. FOS/Smillie/Langford
Pick 8: Armstrong (Fwd)
Pick 15: Lindsay (Mid)

This is the last year we are going heavy in the draft so we need to make the most of it.

Next year we are going hard for Free Agents and big name trades so we won’t be drafting much at the top end going forward. With names like Leek Aleer and Finn Callaghan out of contract I reckon we’ll be trading away our 1st rounder next year and probably even the following years 1st rounder.

I reckon Armstrong could be the next Jeremy Cameron so would like to see him coming in and we can shift someone like Caminiti to the back if we need to make space.
Who nose with King, Armstrong could be a good bet. Lindsay yep,.
DeGoey or Dusty type, Lalor if he is at our pick 7?

Who nose with King, Armstrong could be a good bet. Lindsay yep,.
DeGoey or Dusty type, Lalor if he is at our pick 7?
Not sure about Lalor. Has the X factor but is he a risk? Can he play full time mid? I think we need someone that is a full time Mid, not part time Mid part time Fwd. it’s a tough choice though, he could end up like a Stringer. Would that be good? Not sure.

Hotton’s numbers and write up is insane. I’d love us to take the punt on him. Max and Petracca recovered just fine after ACLs.
Not with a top 10 pick.

Not sure about Lalor. Has the X factor but is he a risk? Can he play full time mid? I think we need someone that is a full time Mid, not part time Mid part time Fwd. it’s a tough choice though, he could end up like a Stringer. Would that be good? Not sure.
True, so are we going to have access to a true mid. that's the issue with our picks 7 & 8. Seems like a good draft, but who is the true mid., seems to be alot of hybrid mids in there, that's why I think Travaglia rates for us. He has midfield numbers in contested possessions & tackles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comment on Reids profile may be an outlier, but it did make me giggle...

"Reid won a season-low eight disposals in the Talent League grand final".

I wonder how many expert writers just look at stats to collaborate their wordy lists.

Most of us know that Reid had 7 touches and a goal in the first quarter then sat out the second half with a knee injury. He may not end up being near our picks, but that's a bit of an average take by The Age.

True, but, Clark & Coffield, shows how difficult it is.
In their first couple or years we thought those guys were great pick ups, then injuries happened. We still haven't seen the best of Clark but if he can stay on the park l think he'll still prove valuable.
I don't think it's a coincidence that our drafting got better at the same time our development got better.

This injury thing shits me, Koschitzke aided in Luke Ball having a high-grade hamstring injury, which apparently slowed him down, went to the Pies & you know what. I'll never get over that. We stuck with Kosi having one minute moments wtf. So, drafting T.Hotton as a high talent doesn't bother me.

If I could offer my two cents. With any 18 year old he is not without risk. He has had multiple injuries, including a bad hammy at the end of the season.

One thing about him, is that he is/was also a very very good cricketer. He's apparently not done a full footy preseason before, so there's huge scope for improvement in not just his fitness/running but also his durability/conditioning.

Being explosive and having soft tissue concerns is a worry, but whether he will be a 75/25 mid/fwd or not is not a concern of mine. Players like him are more than welcome at our club, we have been crying out for a Lalor type for years.

If I could offer my two cents. With any 18 year old he is not without risk. He has had multiple injuries, including a bad hammy at the end of the season.

One thing about him, is that he is/was also a very very good cricketer. He's apparently not done a full footy preseason before, so there's huge scope for improvement in not just his fitness/running but also his durability/conditioning.

Being explosive and having soft tissue concerns is a worry, but whether he will be a 75/25 mid/fwd or not is not a concern of mine. Players like him are more than welcome at our club, we have been crying out for a Lalor type for years.
Absolutely, is why we tried for Degoey. Steele our best pick up in years, but not an explosive mid.
Jones when fit & in form, is our only difference (explosive) mid player

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back