2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree. But I don't think we will be from Tony74 and Stav word seems like we will hold 7 & 8 and look to (if we can) add Pick 9 from Essendon.

We are probably looking at

7 - Smillie or Langford
8 - Reid or Lindsay
9(if we get it) - Travaglia/Tauru/Trainor

My picks would be

7 - Josh Smillie
8 - Murphy Reid
9 - Luke Trainor

I know we have been burnt before by Paddy Mccartin but I'm ready to get hurt again haha. The kid has serious serious talent and at Pick 9 I think he doesn't drift further than that. Plenty of players have a concussion or two and it doesn't haunt them for the rest of their careers.
I'm wholeheartedly against trading our F1 to get 9 and also think there is zero chance Essendon do that deal, but I agree with holding 7+8 and your selection of picks.

A clearance mid, small/medium forward who can rotate through the mids, and a Battle type should be our priorities, and Smillie/Reid/Trainor fits that bill.

A premature hypothetical... on the night I reckon GWS will be desperate to trade up for Travaglia and do 8 for 15+16.

Clubs with only one first rounder will be gun shy on Trainor so I could see him drifting to 15, will need to get past North and WC though.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Reid does as well, although he is impossible to place - Cal says some recruiters rate him as the best talent in the draft, The Age spoke to 12 of those recruiters and plonked him at #18. No combine results to dispel the speed knocks or otherwise, where he goes is anyone's guess.

At the very least I'd expect one of Reid/Hotton/Berry to still be there, along with Hannaford and Hynes, even Hamish Davis, all have potential as that high half forward with midfield progression (which would be a welcome change from trying to remould half backs). Lindsay is a different type but could still be there as well. On a needs basis I think it'd be a trade worth doing.

Trade 1
Out: Stk F1, P27.
In: Ess P9.

Trade 2
Out: Stk P8, Ess P9.
In: NM P2, NM P25.

Hit the 2024 with:
Pick 2, Pick 7, Pick 25.

Essentially brings our future First into this Draft and upgrades our first selections. Would do it if we have a FA lined up for next year.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Except your giving away the compo pick

Liking the look of Lindsay more and more. Flying Viking looks ok too.

Lindsay is probably the best kick in the draft and his running is high end so I wouldnt be upset if the club grabbed him. A mix of a big midfielder and smaller quick mid would by excellent. I know SOS and the list management team haven't had much to work with in their time at the club, but gees it would have been nice if had of stacked more picks for this draft. Every other club is desperately trying to collect more picks so it will be almost impossible to trade in other picks - short of hoping we get something for Membrey (compo), Hayes and whoever else.

We're going after mids with pick 5.

Our forwards stocks are JVR, Turner, Petty and Jefferson who's kicked nearly 60 goals at VFL level over the past two years. He'll play senior footy next year. This is on top of hopefully adding Wade Derksen over this off season.

Fair to say we'll pick off whoever is left from Draper, Lalor, FOS, Langford and Jagga.
Still thinking you donā€™t need a tall forward?

Amazing how times have changed in terms of talent ID. I was fortunate enough to go through the pathways 15 years ago. If you ran a 3.2 20m sprint, and you were a mid, there was no way possible you'd be a first rounder.
The message we got was 'if you can't run you can't play' and they took it literally through testing, than through vision.
It's great to see the attention shift back to footballer over athlete, but I am wary that 3.24 is as slow as the best ruckman in the draft..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well neither is any form of centre bounce mid mate.

I think our entire list could do with more. But surely you are bringing in 1 genuine midfielder with those picks
A few draft watchers have Lindsay as a pure mid and have described him as a Butters type. State champs is a bit different with many players playing out of position to bring them all into the 22. Perhaps Lindsay was pushed to a wing or flank on that basis.

I definitely think we will take one non-mid so the Viking, Kako, Armstrong and Trainer are well in play.

Amazing how times have changed in terms of talent ID. I was fortunate enough to go through the pathways 15 years ago. If you ran a 3.2 20m sprint, and you were a mid, there was no way possible you'd be a first rounder.
The message we got was 'if you can't run you can't play' and they took it literally through testing, than through vision.
It's great to see the attention shift back to footballer over athlete, but I am wary that 3.24 is as slow as the best ruckman in the draft..
You would have gone through the same time I did.

Too slow. Canā€™t make it in the modern game. Need to be able to play multiple positions etc

A few draft watchers have Lindsay as a pure mid and have described him as a Butters type. State champs is a bit different with many players playing out of position to bring them all into the 22. Perhaps Lindsay was pushed to a wing or flank on that basis.

I definitely think we will take one non-mid so the Viking, Kako, Armstrong and Trainer are well in play.
Maybe.

I think if the reports from the age are correct though, an Smillie is there at 7.

Thatā€™s one pick done and dusted.

You would have gone through the same time I did.

Too slow. Canā€™t make it in the modern game. Need to be able to play multiple positions etc
Funny the times I ran then (were considered average) would be above average now... missed the boat. Could have been a 300 game all australian, premiership captain and brownlow medalist instead of a bog average country footballer with too many vices.
Langford would have to be an incredible mid, and play there from day 1 of his career IMO otherwise he'll struggle to break into the midfield due to lack of form in other roles.

13. Xavier Lindsay
Gippsland Power/Vic Country

Midfielder, 183cm, 3/8/2006
Talent League stats (avg): 23.4 disposals, 5.4 clearances, 5.2 inside 50s
The Ageā€™s August top 30: 10
Another one with plenty of admirers, Lindsayā€™s high football IQ, calm temperament, strong work ethic and excellent skills make him a certain first-round selection. Heā€™s routinely discussed as being on the top-10 bubble, and recruiters often point to his 30-disposal game in Countryā€™s narrow loss to Metro as his statement performance in what is considered the ā€œgame of the yearā€. He can play inside and outside midfield roles, or even be used at half-back, where his silky left boot can do damage, even if he makes the odd wrong choice. A knee injury prematurely ended Lindsayā€™s season, but he has enough runs on the board to be an early selection.

Well neither is any form of centre bounce mid mate.

I think our entire list could do with more. But surely you are bringing in 1 genuine midfielder with those picks
Some people here are watching prospects and being blinded to what the club actually needs

We absolutely must take at least one permanent inside midfielder who can win contest and win clearance and have little to no doubt that they will be a midfielder at AFL level. Non-negotiable

Pick 8 is more flexible. Ideally another mid to complement pick 7 - a classy user like a Lindsay or a fleet-footed line-breaker like Travaglia - or just best available - Langford/Tauru

I reiterate, we MUST take a permanent inside mid

Funny the times I ran then (were considered average) would be above average now... missed the boat. Could have been a 300 game all australian, premiership captain and brownlow medalist instead of a bog average country footballer with too many vices.
Langford would have to be an incredible mid, and play there from day 1 of his career IMO otherwise he'll struggle to break into the midfield due to lack of form in other roles.
Iā€™m adamant the system is weighted to the private school system.

I had knocked back a scholarship with Haileybury at the time because it was bullshit and my time at the Dragons went to shit soon after that

Some people here are watching prospects and being blinded to what the club actually needs

We absolutely must take at least one permanent inside midfielder who can win contest and win clearance and have little to no doubt that they will be a midfielder at AFL level. Non-negotiable

Pick 8 is more flexible. Ideally another mid to complement pick 7 - a classy user like a Lindsay or a fleet-footed line-breaker like Travaglia - or just best available - Langford/Tauru

I reiterate, we MUST take a permanent inside mid
It doesnā€™t look like the best draft for pure inside beasts. The top end all look on the smaller side and Lalor may not transition to the midfield. Maybe Smillie but heā€™s seen as outside the top few mids if the phantom form guides are anything to go by. But agree we should be looking at an inside bull to complement Nas, Darcy, Pou and Garcia as our next batch of mids (inside and outside).

No issue with taking Lindsay, but if you're taking him with a non-mid then that's an issue

Smillie + Lindsay is fine

We need at least one prospect who we can almost be sure will be a long-term mid for us. That is clearly the biggest priority for us this off-season

Also, Armstrong is too similar to Sharman imo, feel like our pick could be better utilised to address other issues. I wouldn't mind Kako but he'll be matched. Trainor is sliding...fast. 8 is a reach at this point

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back