2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

In principal I agree. But it comes down to how our recruiters view Lindsay. They might think he will end up being a very good two way midfielder. He does look a little like Josh Kelly. Very silky mover.

I just used Trainor and Armstrong as examples of non mids. I’d be shocked if we went for two mids. We’ve actually got very good midfield depth with Macrae coming on board. The issue is we don’t have elite mids…yet.
Josh Kelly is a cream on top type of mid though. He's benefitted off the inside work of the likes of Green, Ward, Coniglio, Hopper, Taranto throughout his career

As I said, I have no issue with us selecting Lindsay as long as we take a contest winner like Smillie or Lalor. The only mid who is a high likelihood of becoming elite is Pou - Garcia Wilson etc have shown glimpses but who knows what their long-term future looks like in the centre square with doubts over size and other attributes

2024 Telstra AFL/W Draft Combine testing results - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1241350

Top 5 in 20m

Gabriel Stumpf 2.815
Leo Lombard 2.851
Rhys Unwin 2.914
Jasper Alger 2.931
Malakai Champion 2.938
Urquhard 2.976
Bo Allan 2.982
Tauru 3.001
Hayes 3.002
Burmeister 3.048
Bice 3.071
Smillie 3.088
Davis 3.125
Gerryn 3.156
Ough 3.174
Travaglia 3.186

Top 5 Worst
Noah Mraz 3.258
Alex Dodson 3.248
Logan Smith 3.247
Harvey Langford 3.240
Eoin McEvoy 3.240

2013 combine
Marcus Bontempelli
20m sprint - 3.20
Agility - 8.59

Patrick Cripps
20m sprint - 3.23
Agility - 8.57

State combine

Top 5
Lennox Hofmann 2.861
Blake Leidler 2.887
Jayden Nguyen 2.887
Oliver Hannaford 2.954
Mitch Kirkwood-Scott 2.969

Top 5 Worst
Jordan Doherty 3.287
Oliver Dean 3.277
Luke Quaynor 3.267
Charlie Orchard 3.213
Nathaniel Sulzberger 3.212

Last edited:

Definitely in our range by the looks of things. I’m leaning towards Lindsay personally.
I could easily see us going 2 from Smillie Langford & Travaglia

Remember, we are going need to find spots to develop these kids. They will not walk in.

We are absolutely loaded with wings and Halfbacks.

Travaglia will be more a utility for a few years.

Langford and Smillie will go forward as much as they are onball early days.

Lindsay looks a talent. But starts to become really hard to place in our 23.

Tauru would come in and start from day 1 in my eyes. But I think he is off the board before our first pick.

2024 Telstra AFL/W Draft Combine testing results - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1241350

Top 5 in 20m

Gabriel Stumpf 2.815
Leo Lombard 2.851
Rhys Unwin 2.914
Jasper Alger 2.931
Malakai Champion 2.938

Top 5 Worst
Noah Mraz 3.258
Alex Dodson 3.248
Logan Smith 3.247
Harvey Langford 3.240
Eoin McEvoy 3.240

2013 combine
Marcus Bontempelli
20m sprint - 3.20
Agility - 8.59

Patrick Cripps
20m sprint - 3.23
Agility - 8.57

State combine

Top 5
Lennox Hofmann 2.861
Blake Leidler 2.887
Jayden Nguyen 2.887
Oliver Hannaford 2.954
Mitch Kirkwood-Scott 2.969

Top 5 Worst
Jordan Doherty 3.287
Oliver Dean 3.277
Luke Quaynor 3.267
Charlie Orchard 3.213
Nathaniel Sulzberger 3.212

Luke Urquhart would be climbing draft boards with that performance as an inside mid

Sims also with his leap and agility, Gerreyn with his agility

Smillie vertical is nice

Interesting to see Langford and Cole both performed strongly in the 2km. Opinion only but neither look naturally aerobically strong so seems an indication of excellent work ethic.
For some reason I’m really Bullish on Cole.

You athletic and aerobically strong Key back.

Next to 0 offensive game - that’s how raw he is and an eye sore when kicking the ball.

But That’s what you develop in the system over time. If he can come in and lock down the best forward in a few years. That’s a huge win.

For some reason I’m really Bullish on Cole.

You athletic and aerobically strong Key back.

Next to 0 offensive game - that’s how raw he is and an eye sore when kicking the ball.

But That’s what you develop in the system over time. If he can come in and lock down the best forward in a few years. That’s a huge win.

There is now doubt he has the physical attributes - but he has a huge amount of work to do on his offensive side of his game. As as it stands in that aspect (offensively) he would be the weakest key defender in the draft.

There is now doubt he has the physical attributes - but he has a huge amount of work to do on his offensive side of his game. As as it stands in that aspect (offensively) he would be the weakest key defender in the draft.
I literally mentioned that.

I don’t necessarily need our fullback to have an offensive game. I need someone to lockdown and let others sag off their man.

He is athletically gifted and a big tank already. That means not only can he play on gorillas but the J Cameron types too.

There is a lot to work with - he will take plenty of time

Interesting to see Langford and Cole both performed strongly in the 2km. Opinion only but neither look naturally aerobically strong so seems an indication of excellent work ethic.
Langford accumulates the ball because he's able to run all day so him being at the top in the 2km is hardly a surprise imo

I do agree with Cole though, I was pleasantly surprised by that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does his offensive game matter that much in a Ross Lyon system?

I literally mentioned that.

I don’t necessarily need our fullback to have an offensive game. I need someone to lockdown and let others sag off their man.

He is athletically gifted and a big tank already. That means not only can he play on gorillas but the J Cameron types too.

There is a lot to work with - he will take plenty of time
He could be a Nathan Brown type that comes on from day one and just plays his role.

He is a lockdown full back, he doesn't need to be good at offence. Sam Collins, Alex Pearce, Sam Taylor all defenders among the game's elite who are always handing the ball off to the better ball users. Even Sam De Koning

As long as we teach him how to make the correct decisions, he will be fine. He is 18 years old, has plenty of time to clean up his ball use

If the premiership team VIC Metro were fine with picking him despite his shortfalls with ball in hand, he's gotta have some value no?

I don’t know about day one.

But 2 years time I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t in the side.
I look at the frame, and athletic profile and he looks like someone who will just eat preseason up and put on 3-5kg straight up. Day 1 is probably a stretch but I wouldn’t be surprised if he held his own at training and got an early look

I don’t know about day one.

But 2 years time I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t in the side.
I think cole is the most promising key back we've drafted over the last few years. Everyone else has been light and need to develop but cole is big and athletic and as of now no injuries I've heard of anyway.

I look at the frame, and athletic profile and he looks like someone who will just eat preseason up and put on 3-5kg straight up. Day 1 is probably a stretch but I wouldn’t be surprised if he held his own at training and got an early look
Hope so mate. Very bullish in what we might have in Cole & Peckett.

Get the Hof in as a rookie and I think we start looking well placed with talent and potential across the list.

He is a lockdown full back, he doesn't need to be good at offence. Sam Collins, Alex Pearce, Sam Taylor all defenders among the game's elite who are always handing the ball off to the better ball users. Even Sam De Koning

As long as we teach him how to make the correct decisions, he will be fine. He is 18 years old, has plenty of time to clean up his ball use

If the premiership team VIC Metro were fine with picking him despite his shortfalls with ball in hand, he's gotta have some value no?

They all mark the ball, Taylor is the best intercept key defender the comp. Have a look at De Koning stats when he played on Max King he took more marks than King. I not suggesting Cole wont be ok but the best key defenders can intercept the ball in the air, as it stands he projects as another Dougal Howard. Is that going to win us a a flag or just be good enough?

I think cole is the most promising key back we've drafted over the last few years. Everyone else has been light and need to develop but cole is big and athletic and as of now no injuries I've heard of anyway.
Had a serious shoulder injury in 2021 which I think he still doesn't have full confidence in because he drops a couple of overhead marks so that'd have to be strengthened. Shouldn't be too big of an issue

They all mark the ball, Taylor is the best intercept key defender the comp. Have a look at De Koning stats when he played on Max King he took more marks than King. I not suggesting Cole wont be ok but the best key defenders can intercept the ball in the air, as it stands he projects as another Dougal Howard. Is that going to win us a a flag or just be good enough?
Fair but as I said to the other poster, I think it can be improved when he regains full confidence in his shoulder

Again, only 18 years old. Too early too tell what he'll be for sure but I think he's got upside and is definitely worth a spot on our list

They also play alongside some more dour types who don’t mark the ball. As long as we have the right mix we’ll be fine

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back