2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond's model is just about perfect.

3 flags in 4 years make the faithful not care too much how harsh the rebuild is

Even after their superstars like Martin, Riewoldt and Cotchin retire, they bat deeply enough that blokes with multiple flags who DO want a fresh start or head home, like Rioli and Bolton, still have enough capital to command decent draft picks in return. They might have a couple more years of relative pain while their kids find their feet, but if Toce chooses well, they'll be up and about again sooner rather than later

Richmond's model is just about perfect.

3 flags in 4 years make the faithful not care too much how harsh the rebuild is

Even after their superstars like Martin, Riewoldt and Cotchin retire, they bat deeply enough that blokes with multiple flags who DO want a fresh start or head home, like Rioli and Bolton, still have enough capital to command decent draft picks in return. They might have a couple more years of relative pain while their kids find their feet, but if Toce chooses well, they'll be up and about again sooner rather than later
However it is a stark example of how the draft SHOULD work. They drafted and recruited for 5 to 6 years to get to the stage they could win multiple flags, then they crash hard as their players leave/retire.
Contrast that to the likes of the Bulldogs, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney, GWS etc, who have had multiple FS or NGA's or a combo of both who stay up and around the mark for a decade without ever going down the ladder.

It is exactly what Basset was on about. WCE win a flag in 2018 go down, Richmond win three, go down, the others just stay up for good.

Last edited:
I agree but they did also pick two mids with their two FRPs in last years draft. Windsor is highly rated and Tholstrup is suppose to be their version of the next Petracca as a medium forward that can impact in the midfield. But still think they go a mid.
Windsor is more suited to outside than inside so I could see them leaning towards a proper extractor type to compliment those two from last year.

I agree but they did also pick two mids with their two FRPs in last years draft. Windsor is highly rated and Tholstrup is suppose to be their version of the next Petracca as a medium forward that can impact in the midfield. But still think they go a mid.
I personally think Windsor will always be an outside runner and Tholstrup will be a bit more Raynor like with his forward/midfield mix. And that's if he makes it. Neither are pure mids though imo. Far from it.

I could be totally wrong though.

What do we think of using 8-9 to trade up to 2 with North? No need to cross fingers and hope an elite mid slides. Plus we keep a 2nd 1st rounder at 7
Honestly don't think there's a standout option that high to make that trade worthwhile - with the evenness at the top we could end up with three of our top five with 7, 8, 9

I think Cal is the only reliable phantom draft boy tbh
He gets the most inside goss but he waits so late that it largely defeats the purpose - I'd rather read something less accurate in the lead-up than his "predictions" a few hours before the actual shindig.

Clayton Oliver deal is still alive apparently. Oliver wants to live on a farm just outside geelong :rolleyes:, Dees asking Geelong to pay over 1 mil of his salary + a Future 1st.

This could affect our ability to get 9, 10 or 11 from Freo/Essendon as a third pick in the top 10 If Dees have 2 Future 1sts to play with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gets the most inside goss but he waits so late that it largely defeats the purpose - I'd rather read something less accurate in the lead-up than his "predictions" a few hours before the actual shindig.
Agree here .... Twomey draft board is a cheat draft board .... he just gets inside info from the clubs and puts players in those pick positions and everyone thinks he is some kind of draft guru .... its hardly his own opinion/reckoning

Bored soo...

HS’s WAY Too Early Phantom AFL Draft 2025

Richmond ------------ Pick 1 - Finn O’Sullivan

Brisbane -------------- Pick 2 - Levi Ashcroft

North Melbourne ----- Pick 3 - Alix Tauru

West Coast ----------- Pick 4 - Jagga Smith

Adelaide -------------- Pick 5 - Sid Draper

Melbourne ------------ Pick 6 - Harvey Langford

Richmond ------------ Pick 7 - Sam Lalor

Gold Coast ------------ Pick 8 - Leo Lombard

Essendon -------------- Pick 9 - Isaac Kako

St Kilda --------------- Pick 10 - Josh Smillie