2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, if we get 9, makes the decision easy. 8 & 9 for Lalor or FOS, hope that Smillie slides to us.

Look at it this way, one of the potential pick 1's vs a couple of our favourite potential pick 15's.

I know what I want us to do that's for sure.

Would be just magic if walked out with Lalor / Smilie wouldn’t it

However, I’m of the view pick 9 is a bit of a mirage / distraction.

Would be great, sure. I’d rather just do what is best for our list, put ourselves in a position to draft a superstar mid at 2. Then we can talk about 9

9 is likely just Lindsay, Travaglia or maybe a tall anyway.. don’t get all the fuss. Content to retain F1, perceptions change every year, no one thought this was a superdraft this time last year

I may be in the minority, but I don't really want travaglia. I don't see a midfielder at all, just a dashing defender with average foot skills. Also, rewatching some of Lindsay's highlights, I have noticed that he seems to be a bit fumbly, and not a one touch kind of player which concerns me. Re-watched some footage of Langford and I'm praying that he makes it to us, but looking unlikely. Smilies foot skills are better then I remember, but still unsure if he makes it.

I may be in the minority, but I don't really want travaglia. I don't see a midfielder at all, just a dashing defender with average foot skills. Also, rewatching some of Lindsay's highlights, I have noticed that he seems to be a bit fumbly, and not a one touch kind of player which concerns me. Re-watched some footage of Langford and I'm praying that he makes it to us, but looking unlikely. Smilies foot skills are better then I remember, but still unsure if he makes it.

I think you’re on the money with all of that. Lindsay looks like a nice player to have rather than a player we should desperately chase.

No more maybe mids!

Guess you’re in the minority if I agree with you

Hope I’m not speaking out of school here, but the issue with SOS and the team is that they did zero due diligence on Stocker before selecting him.

Had no idea about his mental health concerns and anxiety. Most clubs took the time to speak to his teachers etc.

I doubt he’d make the same mistake again.
That's pretty interesting. Would you say that was Stocker's biggest issue though? I'm a massive fan of Liam and hope he makes it with us, but since he's been a Saint I'd say it's his limitations as a player which determine how much he plays in the seniors, not his MH issues (though to be fair, he seems like he's got on top of more since leaving delisted).

Dalrymple by all accounts is very thorough and it's not SOS's job at St Kilda so all good anyway.

My dear mother did a lot of digging ... a few trips back n forth over years to the UK to the National Archives in Kew/Richmond
I went there a few times while I was living in London, found B, M & D records of loads of ancestors, heaps of interesting census info and even enough info for us to finally track down my mum's birth mother after she and my dad had searched for decades (long story).

It is fascinating what you can find if you look, even online there's so much, then once you start connecting with forums and whatnot it supercharges the search.

Unfortunately, due to a few name changes and the nature of Jewish immigration from Eastern Europe I can't get further back than 1880 on my dad's side but my mum's birth mother's family goes all the way back to the farms in the middle of County Mayo in Ireland - The least noble origin story possible!

I went there a few times while I was living in London, found B, M & D records of loads of ancestors, heaps of interesting census info and even enough info for us to finally track down my mum's birth mother after she and my dad had searched for decades (long story).

It is fascinating what you can find if you look, even online there's so much, then once you start connecting with forums and whatnot it supercharges the search.

Unfortunately, due to a few name changes and the nature of Jewish immigration from Eastern Europe I can't get further back than 1880 on my dad's side but my mum's birth mother's family goes all the way back to the farms in the middle of County Mayo in Ireland - The least noble origin story possible!

I was pretty excited by having a "noble" heritage.....until you read about them. Most of them are absolute monsters. If they weren't ****ing their relatives they were killing them and they were only at the top because they were absolutely brutal. European monarchy were pretty much Game of Thrones without the dragons and a lot more inbreeding.

I think you’re on the money with all of that. Lindsay looks like a nice player to have rather than a player we should desperately chase.

No more maybe mids!

Guess you’re in the minority if I agree with you

When we thought we had 4 and/or 5 in the bank we all fell in love with that pure mid elite in line for pick 1 group.

Now we have 7 and 8 everyone is getting themselves in a lather over the next rung of players. I'm worried, it feels like Clark/Coffield all over again (at the very top end).

That year I was desperate for Brayshaw, Cerra or cough Dow to fall to us. Felt like we were just off that spot and we took the pick of the next crop.

This year there's a strong likelihood that we'll get the last of the group. Who knows we might get lucky, but I'm looking at guys like Lindsay thinking we are kidding ourselves if we think he is close to the top group who have been pushing for pick one all year.

When we thought we had 4 and/or 5 in the bank we all fell in love with that pure mid elite in line for pick 1 group.

Now we have 7 and 8 everyone is getting themselves in a lather over the next rung of players. I'm worried, it feels like Clark/Coffield all over again (at the very top end).

That year I was desperate for Brayshaw, Cerra or cough Dow to fall to us. Felt like we were just off that spot and we took the pick of the next crop.

This year there's a strong likelihood that we'll get the last of the group. Who knows we might get lucky, but I'm looking at guys like Lindsay thinking we are kidding ourselves if we think he is close to the top group who have been pushing for pick one all year.
I doubt it will make you feel better but we probably would have taken Clark no matter which pick we had that year. We loved him as a player that much.

Yep your spot on.

I feel like we have all just adjusted our expectations, and keep telling ourselves that we probably get someone who would of taken at 2 or 3 because the draft is so even.

In reality, I think the draft is more even from around our pick 8-10 up to 30, more so from the top 4 or 5 players to the rest.

I would seriously consider 7 and 8 for either norths 2 and 25 or west coasts 3 and 26 if that is an option. Take luck out of our hands and grab the star we want, not who falls to us.

Pick 2- lalor/osullivan/langford
Pick 25- hannaford/hynes/gross

Or

Pick 7- smilie/reid/tauru
Pick 8-Lindsay/travaglia/allan

There is every chance we end up with 1-2 of those elite mids.

It looks like either or both of Smillie and Langford (assuming Carlton/West Coast take Jagga/Draper).

Both are in that elite bracket.

There is serious talk about Reid and Armstrong being in contention at 5.

Tauru at the North picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been all about Hotton for a while and can’t help but think the limbo that Ollie is in is because we are considering Taj.

I think I’ve settled on Taj at 8 pending no big sliders….

Dream would be get 9 from the bombers and two mids slide plus Hotton….

The Dream…..
Smilie, Smith, Hotton….

Think we’re getting hung up on semantics a little with the definition of bankable. Everyone knows there is a top 4 + Langford close then the rest out to 30.

This is almost always the case, this is our best chance to get a top 4 pick maybe for a decade.

If we only had pick 8, would you be satisified taking Reid, Lindsay or Travaglia? I would say no. we must be done with flankers and maybe mids.

I’d do 7,8 just for Lalor frankly. Probably want another pick back though in the 20s for FOS/Smith
I'd be ok with that if we got Lalor, not so much for the other 2.
I went back and had a look at LDU's draft vids for comparison and they're amazingly similar. LDU probably a bit more advanced but the speed and power shows through. If we got pick 2 though l believe Richmond would just take him at 1.

I’m kind of torn between moving up. It would have to be for Lalor or FOS only. I’m not that excited about Smith and Reid.

I like the idea of quality over quantity but didn’t we attempt to move up in 2022 to get Tsatas? There’s always that risk.

Sometimes it’s better to deal with the hand you get. The environment we create for the players to develop is more important than the talent they come into the club with.

I’m kind of torn between moving up. It would have to be for Lalor or FOS only. I’m not that excited about Smith and Reid.

I like the idea of quality over quantity but didn’t we attempt to move up in 2022 to get Tsatas? There’s always that risk.

Sometimes it’s better to deal with the hand you get. The environment we create for the players to develop is more important than the talent they come into the club with.
Yeah you'd have to be very keen on a player to do it.

I remember Port paying a monster to move up the draft to get Rozee which has worked out for them, but it's never cheap so you have to nail that pick.

I think I'm pretty happy with 7 and 8 to be honest.

I remember Port paying a monster to move up the draft to get Rozee which has worked out for them, but it's never cheap so you have to nail that pick.

Joydivision's comment that we've adjusted expectations is 100% correct. If l ask myself would l be happier with Lalor/Hannaford or Smillie/Lindsay/Hannaford it's probably the former. I feel like we've been burned by our history and lost the ability to dream.
That said, l think Lalor goes goes to Richmond so I'm sticking with 7 and 8.

Last edited:

What a master-class that trade was in hindsight!

Pittard and Polec for pick 11, then 11 into 6, 6 into 5.

Noone remembers the other picks involved, they just remember Rozee was a massive hit.

Sure, King would've been more than handy, but still, they wanted and crept up to get their man.

What a master-class that trade was in hindsight!

Pittard and Polec for pick 11, then 11 into 6, 6 into 5.

Noone remembers the other picks involved, they just remember Rozee was a massive hit.

Sure, King would've been more than handy, but still, they wanted and crept up to get their man.
Lobb and Lachie Neale also caught up in this crazy trade. Freo (Lobb) the big losers.

He was so good in that Country v Metro match. That's the pinnacle of the champs and the biggest game they get up for. Playing well in that is huge and he was BOG. Even the top end of this draft isn't absolutely blue chip. I still think guys like Lalor and Smilie could end up a gamble. None of them have that absolute guaranteed star quality.

I still reckon this is one where a few off the peloton end up the best in the draft and possibly right into the 20s or 30s. I feel pretty unusually confident this year. I think we are a much better run club and less likely to make dumb decisions.

Joydivision's comment that we've adjusted expectations is 100% correct. If l ask myself would l be happier with Lalor/Hannaford or Smillie/Lindsay/Hannaford it's probably the former. I feel like we've been burned by our history and lost the ability to dream.
That said, l think Lalor goes goes to Richmond so I'm sticking with 7 and 8.

I don't rate Lalor that highly so to me that would be lessening your chances. I know Lalor is potentially a top 3 picks but wouldn't be surprised if he drifted to 8 to 10.

He was so good in that Country v Metro match. That's the pinnacle of the champs and the biggest game they get up for. Playing well in that is huge and he was BOG. Even the top end of this draft isn't absolutely blue chip. I still think guys like Lalor and Smilie could end up a gamble. None of them have that absolute guaranteed star quality.

I still reckon this is one where a few off the peloton end up the best in the draft and possibly right into the 20s or 30s. I feel pretty unusually confident this year. I think we are a much better run club and less likely to make dumb decisions.
The three main draft observers who post on BF have Lindsay at 4, 5 and 14 in their power rankings. ESPN has him at 6 and compares him to Josh Kelly. He has that laconic nature but a bit of a silent assassin. I think what he does is very understated. If you can remain calm and composed in chaos by hitting laser passes through the middle you are pretty darn good.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back