2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
I can't understand the desire to break up King / Sharman / Caminiti. I think we need to get as many games into them together as possible.

Sharman is more a Gunstan type than a true key forward so I think he'll give us most value as a third tall.

Caminiti is a great competitor and will be a good deep target going forward.

Having them both there goves us freedom to have King roam up the ground more. I'd much rather him getting 15-20 touches and 3 shots at goal a game than 5-10 touches with 4 or 5 shots. I'd have no qualms with him providing the chop out in the ruck too, if it was good enough for Daniher it's good enough for King IMO.

I know we've lost Battle but I'd rather see how we go with Arie asked to play as a 3rd tall defender and if that doesn't work, I'd honestly rather bring in Cordy as we know he's at least serviceable.

The top 4 teams all played 3 tall forwards so I don't think it's too slow or immobile.

I'd say he's more a Curnow type. Probably good for close to 3 goals a game at AFL level but he doesn't do a lot more than kick goals. You'd love to have him but I'm not sure he's a balanced player. Shanahan and Faull are more your old school pack crashing types that bring others into the game.

Armstrong will get 5 touches and kick 5 goals but you don't notice him doing much apart from scoring. Solid lead up mark and decent contested mark.
LOL so he is good for close to 60 goals a season?

Where do we sign up?

I can't understand the desire to break up King / Sharman / Caminiti. I think we need to get as many games into them together as possible.

Sharman is more a Gunstan type than a true key forward so I think he'll give us most value as a third tall.

Having them both there goves us freedom to have King roam up the ground more. I'd much rather him getting 15-20 touches and 3 shots at goal a game than 5-10 touches with 4 or 5 shots. I'd have no qualms with him providing the chop out in the ruck too, if it was good enough for Daniher it's good enough for King IMO.

I know we've lost Battle but I'd rather see how we go with Arie asked to play as a 3rd tall defender and if that doesn't work, I'd honestly rather bring in Cordy as we know he's at least serviceable.

The top 4 teams all played 3 tall forwards so I don't think it's too slow or immobile.
Just so long as they don't bomb it to a double teamed King if one of the others is a viable target.
I think Sharman would be pretty lethal if he had a 179cm third tall on him.

Based on the value paid for Picks in or around the Top 10 this year.

In this deal scenario-
Out: 8+32.
In: 15+16+21.

If GWS want Travaglia, they can pay up.
8 for 15 and 16 is not enough our way.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’d be trying to get 10 or 11 off Richmond for our future future first. On draft night if the top tier mids are gone before our second pick, swap that for 15 & 16. Would give us 7, 11, 15 and 16.
Hopefully two of Hotton, Reid and Trainor are available at 15.

Hall was playing in a completely new system AND was played out of position, of course his numbers don't jump out

But if you watch the VFL games, you would've seen some really nice glimpses especially in the final game where he clearly stood out as one of the BOGs. Played like Henry where it was more damage per disposal rather than quantity

He showed a significant improvement post-injury - probably after more education and learning more about our game style

I reckon with 3-5 more rounds of the season, he would've made a debut

He's 22. Had 2 years wiped out by knees when he was 16 and 17 AND was in the COVID cohort so had zero continuity. Once he started playing again, Dalrymple said he was one of the biggest 2023 off-season improvers in the state leagues, hence his good form at the start of the year

This has late-bloomer written all over it if I've ever seen one.
This may be unfair, but he also gives me a 'I want to go back to Hawthorn' vibe as well. It's probably just me, but I feel like he has a stonger go home factor than Collard.

I wouldn't have been upset if we traded him for Jai Serong last week.

Taj is going to be one of the most interesting watches on draft night.

Before the knee he was tracking as a potential top 5 pick & sounded like he was a real point of difference to the other boys at the pointy end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richmond best placed to take on that risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taj is going to be one of the most interesting watches on draft night.

Before the knee he was tracking as a potential top 5 pick & sounded like he was a real point of difference to the other boys at the pointy end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just at lunch with someone who is in the AFL industry. When I mentioned Taj Hotton and his drop, they told me that clubs doctors will scan and test every potential draftee, looking right through their history and their families history. No wonder Hotton and Trainor have drifted out in the draft.

So for example, the club doctors would be looking at Hotton's medical history, his brothers, and what happened to his father in his AFL career.

This might be common knowledge but it was news to me the thoroughness AFL clubs select their players, both mens and womens.

This may be unfair, but he also gives me a 'I want to go back to Hawthorn' vibe as well. It's probably just me, but I feel like he has a stonger go home factor than Collard.

Seriously, he should have more of a , "i hope i am good enough to get a game of AFL footy one day" vibe than worry about dictating which team he plays for.

I agree with growing combinations, but our problem is we dont really have an option to fill CHB. Its about list balance and where players best suit the team. For me Marshall would make a better 2nd fiddle tall forward option than Caminiti. Again we dont have a ruckman to relieve him, so thats not an option ATM. Hopefully we can find a player capable of filling the Battle void, so Hammer can remain forward.

Ideally we find another ruckman capable of filling Marshall's role and he can play mostly forward, which would allow Caminiti to develop his game in defence. We have Keeler who will likely become an option to fill Marshall's forward role when required and Shoenmaker might be ready to step up to CHB at some stage, but I think we will have to be patient.

Although you will probably get your wish, we are more likely to find a mature ready to play CHB than a decent ruckman.

That is unfair, on what basis are you making such an assumption? He didn't even play for Hawthorn, he played for their VFL side. And the go-home factor is irrelevant given both teams are in the same state

Unless you know him personally, what if he's just a regular guy who doesn't tend to show that much emotion?

Now you want him traded bc of it

Sounds ridiculous to me no offence

Long time lurker and reader for many years - first time poster, still working out how to post and set up.

I have a feeling clubs are becoming a lot more sophisticated and strategic in their approach to the draft.
Our picks 7 and 8 will become 10 and 11.
Ashcroft is clearly the best pick in the draft and should be bid on at pick 1 but will be at 2.
Lombard could well be bid on by Melbourne at pick 5 (6) as part of the Essendon - Melbourne pick swap deal as this pushes the Kako deal out by a pick saving Essendon points. Richmond (North if they do a pick swap) definitely should be bidding on both but probably won’t as they may well want to leverage advantage in this year’s and next year’s drafts for pick swaps etc that may be available and they can work the good will of all clubs by keeping their powder dry.
When it gets to us, I am sure the Saints will bid on both at pick 8 to keep GCS and Essendon accountable. Both Gubby and SOS have history here.
I know the Saints are after ball extracting mids and they won’t reach. Best mid available at 10 and I expect they will trade 11 out if there are not two line breaking inside mids available, probably with GWS for their 18, 24 and a later pick currently 37 or 56? (as both will come in about 9-10 picks once the NGAs are accounted for as I expect GCS’s Marshall will also be bid on in the late 20s). That puts another inside mid such as Taj Hotton, Urquhart, Hynes or Gross in the frame plus a tall marking KPP. Not sure if we go with a ruck draftee - perhaps we will look very closely at ex swan McAndrew as a DFA who is at 210cm and only 24. That provides some pick coverage for our own NGAs and an option to pick up a slider or bundle later picks for a better option, such as picking Arie as a late slider in the draft last year.
I agree we will not pick on need, although our draft profile is important. Our game style needs quick skilled players and we are crying out for a couple of decent extractors in the midfield.
Also remember Jack Hayes is an option down back. He reads the play really well, takes a strong mark and has the tank and body to be very effective there - remember the Collingwood game in 2023 where he was marking everything. This may release Wilkie to play a bit more of a running rebounding role than being forced to play so deep on the last line.

Last edited:
We don't need to trade pick 8 until draft night. What happens if there are 2 sliders? There could be. We need to see who is avaiable before we trade away pick 8. For now I would be trying to trade our F1.
Thats why I proposed 8 and F1 for Richmond's 6 and 18 or 6 and 20 and 24 or some other combo's

That would give us 6 and 7 instead of 7 and 8, even more of a chance of two sliders, we would have them then go on to the later frdp and possibly an early 2nd rounder.

That is unfair, on what basis are you making such an assumption? He didn't even play for Hawthorn, he played for their VFL side. And the go-home factor is irrelevant given both teams are in the same state

Unless you know him personally, what if he's just a regular guy who doesn't tend to show that much emotion?

Now you want him traded bc of it

Sounds ridiculous to me no offence
None taken. I probably deserve being put back in my box on this one.

But, I just can't shake that feeling.

Thats why I proposed 8 and F1 for Richmond's 6 and 18 or 6 and 20 and 24 or some other combo's

That would give us 6 and 7 instead of 7 and 8, even more of a chance of two sliders, we would have them then go on to the later frdp and possibly an early 2nd rounder.
The only problem with this is that North will probably want 6 & something for pick 2. So we have to get a deal done with Richmond before this!

We could potentially look then to trade something with 7 to North for pick 2....although I don't know what we would have left to offer by then....

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back