2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
The North - Richmond swap of 6 and 2 is so glaringly in the best interests of both clubs I can't see how it doesn't happen

North need Key Position players and they need more than 1 and currently they have Pick 2 and nothing else. They need to split pick 2 and more importantly if they want to ensure they get Tarau they need Pick 6

Richmond need to set up their future midfield over the next two drafts they have Pick 1 this year and will definitely have Pick 1 next year as well. The 2025 Pick 1 standout currently is Dyson Sharp. Getting pick 2 gives them the chance to pick complimentary players to Sharp who is a contested inside clearance winner and willing tackler who can get the ball outside as well if they have Pick 1 & 2 they have their pick of the next two drafts to design that midfield that is rare opportunity.

Its a win/win if they fail to do this it hurts both clubs but stranger things have happened. Of course it would suit us as well so maybe I am seeing what I want to see in all this but I think sanity will prevail.

St Kilda​

Arrivals: Jack Macrae (trade)
Departures: Matthew Allison (delisted), Josh Battle (free agency), Riley Bonner (delisted), Tom Campbell (delisted free agency), Seb Ross (delisted), James Van Es (delisted)
Draft picks: 7, 8, 32, 47
Uncontracted: Jack Hayes, Olli Hotton, Tim Membrey, Ben Paton
Contracted: 36 (two category B rookies)
The Saints had a quiet trade period, but scored a second top-10 pick as compensation for free agent defender Josh Battle crossing to Hawthorn. They last did that seven years ago, when they snapped up Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield. It might also position them as the draft disruptors who might bid on academy players Isaac Kako (Essendon) and Leo Lombard (Gold Coast), something list boss Stephen Silvagni has done before. A midfielder is almost certainly on St Kilda’s radar with one of the selections, with Harvey Langford, Sid Draper and Josh Smillie possible options. The Saints also have Sandringham key forward Harry Armstrong and defensive teammate Luke Trainor on their radar. Hayes, Membrey and Paton have all met with opposition clubs, so what happens there will determine how many list vacancies they need to fill.

The longer this goes on - we have another month of this.... the more I'm convinced there will be no talls taken before our pick.

I'm not sure of whether we try to trade up or down. Insert mexican why not both girl.

If thats the case (which obviously will be hard to gauge with the cat and mouse rubbish that goes on), then Id consider 7, 8 & F1 for 2 & F1 (North), trade back in with Richmond or GWS with that North F1 for two late teens picks.

So in essence, 7, 8 & F1 for 2, 15, 16 in an absolute best case scenario favouring us.

Alternatively, we do nothing with 7 and trade 8 & F2 for 15, 16. Ending up with 7, 15, 16 & F1 in the bank, possibly to tempt Richmond in the end of the first round.

Either way, I'm only doing this because I really don't think amazing things happen for us. Call it the 66 curse, but I am beginning to think Smillie won't get to us, let alone Draper or Smith. It'll leave Reid as our top pick, I like Reid, but I'd prefer him to be our second mid selected - not first.

The longer this goes on - we have another month of this.... the more I'm convinced there will be no talls taken before our pick.

I'm not sure of whether we try to trade up or down. Insert mexican why not both girl.

If thats the case (which obviously will be hard to gauge with the cat and mouse rubbish that goes on), then Id consider 7, 8 & F1 for 2 & F1 (North), trade back in with Richmond or GWS with that North F1 for two late teens picks.

So in essence, 7, 8 & F1 for 2, 15, 16 in an absolute best case scenario favouring us.

Alternatively, we do nothing with 7 and trade 8 & F2 for 15, 16. Ending up with 7, 15, 16 & F1 in the bank, possibly to tempt Richmond in the end of the first round.

Either way, I'm only doing this because I really don't think amazing things happen for us. Call it the 66 curse, but I am beginning to think Smillie won't get to us, let alone Draper or Smith. It'll leave Reid as our top pick, I like Reid, but I'd prefer him to be our second mid selected - not first.
I’ve been a critic of Reid but Twomey ranks him the sixth best player overall so he can’t be that bad AND he’s a midfielder.

The North - Richmond swap of 6 and 2 is so glaringly in the best interests of both clubs I can't see how it doesn't happen

North need Key Position players and they need more than 1 and currently they have Pick 2 and nothing else. They need to split pick 2 and more importantly if they want to ensure they get Tarau they need Pick 6

Richmond need to set up their future midfield over the next two drafts they have Pick 1 this year and will definitely have Pick 1 next year as well. The 2025 Pick 1 standout currently is Dyson Sharp. Getting pick 2 gives them the chance to pick complimentary players to Sharp who is a contested inside clearance winner and willing tackler who can get the ball outside as well if they have Pick 1 & 2 they have their pick of the next two drafts to design that midfield that is rare opportunity.

Its a win/win if they fail to do this it hurts both clubs but stranger things have happened. Of course it would suit us as well so maybe I am seeing what I want to see in all this but I think sanity will prevail.

Look at Norths list and tell us how many tall mids they have? Im calling Durrsma a fwd, but LDU (who may not even stay) is their tallest mid at 188cm.

For all of their handouts, their list is so unbalanced it's not even funny.

I’ve been a critic of Reid but Twomey ranks him the sixth best player overall so he can’t be that bad.
He's not bad at all, I rate his football intelligence as elite. I'd rate Smillie and Reid as an elite draft haul, I just want Reid to be the second player we get. He's like our steak knives to the big mid if that makes sense.

St Kilda​

Arrivals: Jack Macrae (trade)
Departures: Matthew Allison (delisted), Josh Battle (free agency), Riley Bonner (delisted), Tom Campbell (delisted free agency), Seb Ross (delisted), James Van Es (delisted)
Draft picks: 7, 8, 32, 47
Uncontracted: Jack Hayes, Olli Hotton, Tim Membrey, Ben Paton
Contracted: 36 (two category B rookies)
The Saints had a quiet trade period, but scored a second top-10 pick as compensation for free agent defender Josh Battle crossing to Hawthorn. They last did that seven years ago, when they snapped up Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield. It might also position them as the draft disruptors who might bid on academy players Isaac Kako (Essendon) and Leo Lombard (Gold Coast), something list boss Stephen Silvagni has done before. A midfielder is almost certainly on St Kilda’s radar with one of the selections, with Harvey Langford, Sid Draper and Josh Smillie possible options. The Saints also have Sandringham key forward Harry Armstrong and defensive teammate Luke Trainor on their radar. Hayes, Membrey and Paton have all met with opposition clubs, so what happens there will determine how many list vacancies they need to fill.

Yes, nice work, getting the ‘interested in falls’ line of thought going

I just had a look at the AFL Rules document and discovered something I wasnt aware of. I will attach the table below which is pretty self explanatory but in short clubs can have a total of 47 players listed which includes a variety of combinations primary list, cat A & cat B rookies. They can now have 3 cat B rookies but that would restrict total list numbers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241023_124539_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20241023_124539_Drive.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 27
Look at Norths list and tell us how many tall mids they have? Im calling Durrsma a fwd, but LDU (who may not even stay) is their tallest mid at 188cm.

For all of their handouts, their list is so unbalanced it's not even funny.
To me this is a second level problem

Gulden Heeney Warner are not tall
Brayshaw Serong Young not tall

But if Toby Pink is your Key Back you have a first level problem

And they have to be backing themselves to keep LDU chances are high that he stays. Maybe less so if they telegraph that they are drafting his replacement at 2.

This draft is full of talls in the late 1st round and early 2nd and currently North who need them the most have no access to any of them. Pick 25 for Daniel was insanity does Rawlings just hate having anyone in the room taller than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this intel or logic?
Sorry I didn't get back to you. That is just my logic. I think it would be incomprehensible to trade 7 when
a) we have pick 8 to trade leaving us with the pick of the player we most want
b) 7 would most likely to be for trading up. Considering trading up would cost at least a F1 it gives us a better pick however I think the consensus is that the top 8 are all fairly even.
c) trading up would still give us only 2 picks (albeit a good first one) but would still only give us 2 picks losing a future first.

So in summary, I feel our best course of action would be to keep pick 7 at all costs (unless Richmond or North go all West Coast or Gold Coast and swap and earlier pick for 7 and a F2 or something unbelievably dumb) and maybe use pick 8 and our futures to trade down (8 and F1 for Richmond 11, 18 and 24 or something to give us 7+11+18+24+32+47, dont @ me Richmond lurkers, it's an example) or keep 7&8 powder dry for live trading.

Last edited:
My gut feel is that neither Richmond or St Kilda will trade-up with North, leaving them with a big decision to make.

Reach for a tall with pick 2, or chicken out and conservatively draft best available.

I reckon Rawlings will go the safe option. He’ll draft a mid. Atrocious list management but avoiding criticism by being risk averse.

It’s incredible, North need height but trade pick 25 to the Bulldogs for Caleb Daniel. What can you say?

If my hunch is correct, then all the mids will be drafted in the top 10. Our pick 7 will be available to draft the last of that group.

As a result, pick 8 will mean next best available is likely to be Tauru, Armstrong, Travaglia, someone of that ilk. Not the second elite mid we crave.

I’d bet my house on us splitting pick 8. It will happen on the night when the cards are played, but I reckon it will definitely happen.

I hope I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they draft another mid @ 2, you can bet they are looking to replace LDU. This would indicate they are not confident that LDU will be there in 2026.

If Mark McGowan at The Age writes that we have Armstrong and Trainor on our radar with pick 8 (which would be a surprise) then that says to me that we are likely to split pick 8 and trade-down.

Probably with GWS. Richmond won’t be cashing in picks 10 & 11 and we would want two picks no later than mid teens. Seems obvious.

Personally I don’t like that unless all the preferred mids are gone at 8. I’d rather use 32 with 8 to move up the draft board and get two quality mids. Midfield rebuild is then done.

2 + F2 for 6 + 11 or 2 for 6 + 18 are such win-wins for both parties that it boggles the mind why a deal hasn't been done already.

Argue the specifics all you want, 11 is too much, 18 isn't enough, we don't need to add the F2 blah blah blah. Point is that there is clearly a great deal to be done here for both parties in some machination and it would be a blight on the entire concept of AFL horse trading if it didn't go through

If Tauru is available at 8 North will offer us F1+F2 to get ahead of others. I’d be very tempted.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
And take us out of this years draft to a heavily compromised draft next year? Our stated goal is to trade into this draft nt out of it.

If Mark McGowan at The Age writes that we have Armstrong and Trainor on our radar with pick 8 (which would be a surprise) then that says to me that we are likely to split pick 8 and trade-down.

Probably with GWS. Richmond won’t be cashing in picks 10 & 11 and we would want two picks no later than mid teens. Seems obvious.

Personally I don’t like that unless all the preferred mids are gone at 8. I’d rather use 32 with 8 to move up the draft board and get two quality mids. Midfield rebuild is then done.

Just wait until the night and see what plays out. If only one of the top mids is available, we can take them at 7, and you can bet we'll get some pretty juicy offers for pick 8.

I'd personally love for us to just use 7 and 8, but I also wouldn't hate a trio of Smillie/Hotton/Hynes if we were to use 8 to trade back with GWS

2 + F2 for 6 + 11 or 2 for 6 + 18 are such win-wins for both parties that it boggles the mind why a deal hasn't been done already.

Argue the specifics all you want, 11 is too much, 18 isn't enough, we don't need to add the F2 blah blah blah. Point is that there is clearly a great deal to be done here for both parties in some machination and it would be a blight on the entire concept of AFL horse trading if it didn't go through
Could possibly be an extra pick North 2 to Richmond 6+18+24 or 6+23+24

That Hotton, Hynes, Lindsay, Trainer type spot in the mid teens range does feel awfully tempting.

This draft is a mindfk

The other facts we need to consider are:

1. How many list spots will we have available?
2. Will we take all of Cole, Hoffmann and Peckett?

That could dictate our draft strategy.

We need to hold pick 47 to match a potential bid for Cole (more likely) and Hoffmann before pick 40.

But pick 32 is potentially a floating pick IF list spots are really tight. It could be an important chip in the trading-up or trading-down puzzle. If we do either.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back