2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
If Mark McGowan at The Age writes that we have Armstrong and Trainor on our radar with pick 8 (which would be a surprise) then that says to me that we are likely to split pick 8 and trade-down.

Probably with GWS. Richmond won’t be cashing in picks 10 & 11 and we would want two picks no later than mid teens. Seems obvious.

Personally I don’t like that unless all the preferred mids are gone at 8. I’d rather use 32 with 8 to move up the draft board and get two quality mids. Midfield rebuild is then done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully we are making noises about taking a tall. Play the game. We won’t know if it’s mind games, but hopefully the other clubs don’t either!

Nah, we are better than that now, although Dalrymple has form choosing some obscure picks.
As long as his obscure picks aren’t our first two.

Sorry I didn't get back to you. That is just my logic. I think it would be incomprehensible to trade 7 when
a) we have pick 8 to trade leaving us with the pick of the player we most want
b) 7 would most likely to be for trading up. Considering trading up would cost at least a F1 it gives us a better pick however I think the consensus is that the top 8 are all fairly even.
c) trading up would still give us only 2 picks (albeit a good first one) but would still only give us 2 picks losing a future first.

So in summary, I feel our best course of action would be to keep pick 7 at all costs (unless Richmond or North go all West Coast or Gold Coast and swap and earlier pick for 7 and a F2 or something unbelievably dumb) and maybe use pick 8 and our futures to trade down (8 and F1 for Richmond 11, 18 and 24 or something to give us 7+11+18+24+32+47, dont @ me Richmond lurkers, it's an example) or keep 7&8 powder dry for live trading.
Completely agree re 7.

I’m not that fascinated by splitting 8 into the teens, but small slide into 10/11 could work. Either way, at least hold that for draft night.

The other issue with, say, 15 and 16 is that we can cherry pick our fave 2 players there, but they could very well be gone. Hotton probably not, Trainor who knows, I’m not as big on Hynes as there is some real doubt on his mid capability at the next level and then you’re duplicating Chito. The Whitlocks have zero body presence - we need to work hard enough with Max, let alone another one ! Then there are others that aren’t really a pressing need.

Tigers will want to trade a pick or two into next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah for sure, but those picks don’t necessarily need to be part of the North trade.

Pick 24 as the first pick on the second night looks likely to be moved for a F1 or thereabouts, and if they trade 6+18 with North they’ll take 1, 2, 10, 11, 20, 23. Taking six players is fine

Can someone with a little more knowledge just let me know if this is right?
  • Father Son selections get matched by next available pick (regardless of points)
  • Academy selections have a discount applied and then need to be covered by pick points

"Cal Twomey's Phantom FORM Guide"...

Do a Phantom Draft already Cal you coward! Phantom FORM guide...

That said. If we DID end up with Smillie and Tauru though, I would be pretty stoked.
Looking forward to viking helmets on match day.

"Cal Twomey's Phantom FORM Guide"...

Do a Phantom Draft already Cal you coward! Phantom FORM guide...

That said. If we DID end up with Smillie and Tauru though, I would be pretty stoked.
Just listened to Alix Tauru on Gettable, mentioned being a Hawks supporter. Would be pretty funny if we replaced one Hawthorn supporter Intercept Defender with another, like for like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone with a little more knowledge just let me know if this is right?
  • Father Son selections get matched by next available pick (regardless of points)
  • Academy selections have a discount applied and then need to be covered by pick points
Father Son still uses the bidding system, same as the academies.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back