2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Alright, dream scenario. Norf trade pick 2 and a F2 to Tiges for 6 and 11. Tiges get the first 2 picks of the bunch and 2nd rounder for next years draft. Sets them up very nicely. We trade our F1 and F2 to GWS for pick 16 and their F2. They get a (most likely) favourable 2nd round swap and a late first rounder this year out for likely a middle of the pack 1st rounder next year. Still have 15 and 21 in this draft as well.

1. Richmond: Lalor
2. Brisbane: Ashcroft (bid)
3. Richmond: FOS
4. Carlton: Smith
5. Adelaide: Draper
6. Gold Coast: Lombard (bid)
7. Melbourne: Langford
8. North: Tauru
9. St Kilda: Smillie
10. Essendon: Kako (bid)
11. St Kilda: Reid
12. Melbourne: Armstrong
13: Richmond: Hotton
14: North: Travaglia
15: West Coast: Allan
16: Port Adelaide: Lindsay
17: Fremantle: Trainor
18: GWS: Shanahan
19: St Kilda: (Cooper) Hynes

We'd make out of the draft first round with Smillie, Reid and Hynes. Smillie a huge upside player already a dominant stoppage player and with great kicking for a bigger contested body, Reid one of the more clean and classy players on ball despite being one of the more undersized U18 players and Cooper Hynes who adds to our stock of "Cooper"s while also being a handy mid/fwd type, which is also important I guess. Now we just need every single domino in this scenario to fall into place and I'm happy. Doubt Trainor or Hotton would be around for that later 1st round pick but if they were, would also be stoked with either of them.
Good scenario but I'm not sure there's enough value in that for the Giants when you look at the players they could get with that pick.

The North - Richmond swap of 6 and 2 is so glaringly in the best interests of both clubs I can't see how it doesn't happen

North need Key Position players and they need more than 1 and currently they have Pick 2 and nothing else. They need to split pick 2 and more importantly if they want to ensure they get Tarau they need Pick 6

Richmond need to set up their future midfield over the next two drafts they have Pick 1 this year and will definitely have Pick 1 next year as well. The 2025 Pick 1 standout currently is Dyson Sharp. Getting pick 2 gives them the chance to pick complimentary players to Sharp who is a contested inside clearance winner and willing tackler who can get the ball outside as well if they have Pick 1 & 2 they have their pick of the next two drafts to design that midfield that is rare opportunity.

Its a win/win if they fail to do this it hurts both clubs but stranger things have happened. Of course it would suit us as well so maybe I am seeing what I want to see in all this but I think sanity will prevail.
Rawlings is Dodoro lite and needs to "win" every trade by the Flemington straight. He will never budge on demanding more than 6+18.

Alright, dream scenario. Norf trade pick 2 and a F2 to Tiges for 6 and 11. Tiges get the first 2 picks of the bunch and 2nd rounder for next years draft. Sets them up very nicely. We trade our F1 and F2 to GWS for pick 16 and their F2. They get a (most likely) favourable 2nd round swap and a late first rounder this year out for likely a middle of the pack 1st rounder next year. Still have 15 and 21 in this draft as well.

1. Richmond: Lalor
2. Brisbane: Ashcroft (bid)
3. Richmond: FOS
4. Carlton: Smith
5. Adelaide: Draper
6. Gold Coast: Lombard (bid)
7. Melbourne: Langford
8. North: Tauru
9. St Kilda: Smillie
10. Essendon: Kako (bid)
11. St Kilda: Reid
12. Melbourne: Armstrong
13: Richmond: Hotton
14: North: Travaglia
15: West Coast: Allan
16: Port Adelaide: Lindsay
17: Fremantle: Trainor
18: GWS: Shanahan
19: St Kilda: (Cooper) Hynes

We'd make out of the draft first round with Smillie, Reid and Hynes. Smillie a huge upside player already a dominant stoppage player and with great kicking for a bigger contested body, Reid one of the more clean and classy players on ball despite being one of the more undersized U18 players and Cooper Hynes who adds to our stock of "Cooper"s while also being a handy mid/fwd type, which is also important I guess. Now we just need every single domino in this scenario to fall into place and I'm happy. Doubt Trainor or Hotton would be around for that later 1st round pick but if they were, would also be stoked with either of them.
Gee I'd be tempted to reach for Dodson with pick 19. Best ruckman in the draft, there abouts in the rankings and won't get past Richmond's early 20's picks.

Gee, if you have Hotton at 13, might as well take him at 11. Classy goalkicker like Reid & much quicker. And if Shanahan got to 19, would take him.
Langford or Smillie, Hotton or Lindsay & Shanahan would be a nice haul. And just don't play Shanahan on a kid called Jarman, if he should appear?

Yeah I like Shanahan as well, saw some of one of his VFL games earlier this year, reminds me of Mitch Lewis, would be very happy if we can trade in a late first rounder and get him.

Good scenario but I'm not sure there's enough value in that for the Giants when you look at the players they could get with that pick.

Yeah but, maybe the Giants would just feel like doing us a solid..??? We're cool guys.

I hope we can convince SOMEONE to live trade us a pick in the teens on draft night. If we could nail 3 or 4 good picks in a draft like this, like we did with Nas, Mitchito and Windy, then all of a sudden next year with the Free Agents looking like being available we could be 12-18 months off being a serious side. Especially with the context of our post-bye performances this year. Ross can still obviously coach, there's a lot of scope for development in Windy, Wilson, Owens, Pou, Nas, Garcia, Schoenmaker, King, Sharman, Caminiti and a string of other talents that might make it (Keeler, Collard, Hastie).

Get another top 20 pick this year and move up the ladder, then draft picks can be focused on as capital for missing links in the squad and we can look at Free Agency as well.

The biggest question around the draft for me at the moment is who do we think Carlton have traded up for?

In between Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Acres and Olli Hollands they seem pretty flush for mids.

They be looking for someone with an attacking streak I think. O’Sullivan or Lalor is my guess.

But if FOS and Lalor go [emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]] & [emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]] I could see Carlton reaching for a creative type like Reid.

Gee I'd be tempted to reach for Dodson with pick 19. Best ruckman in the draft, there abouts in the rankings and won't get past Richmond's early 20's picks.
How good are we talking?

Grundy, RoMa, English good? Or Fort, Stanley, Cameron good?

@DylanAlexanderFollowsDraft‬
1. Sam Lalor (Rich)
2. Jagga Smith (Rich)
3. Finn O'Sullivan (Carl)
4. Sid Draper (Adel)
5. Josh Smillie (Melb)
6. Alix Tauru (Nth)
7. Harvey Langford (Stk)
8. Murphy Reid (Stk)
9. Luke Trainor (Melb)
10. Harvey Armstrong (Rich)

Ive said it numerous times on the forum but its worth reminding ourselves again "that midfielders win games / premierships". We dont have to be footballing geniuses to understand our midfield needs elite players.

I now see this draft a lot like other drafts, where players can be placed into groups -

Group 1 = Ashcroft, O'Sullivan, Smith, Draper, Lalor
Group 2 = Smillie, Langford, Armstrong, Tauru, Reid, Allan, Travaglia
Group 3 = Lindsay, Trainor, Kako, Berry, Hotton, Shanahan, Lombard, Marshall
Group 4 = Hynes, Oliver, Dattoli, Dodson, Jack Whitlock, Gross, Hannaford, Sims, Davis, Gerryn.

The above is basically my expected 1st round...with some players taken earliier than expected just on list needs.

Group 5 = The rest of the draft is where this draft really excels, the depth and quallity of all positional type players is ridiculous.

Once again we find ourselves just outside the sweet spot in the draft. We are all keen on getting the two best available midfielders, but really I would be happy with any two of the Group 2 players. It will be interesting to see how our recruitment team rate this draft and whether they select another mid at pick #8 or take a tall or split it.

The other option of course is attempt to use future picks to trade back into the 1st round. Either way lets hope pick #32 remains live and we can use it to target a player that slipped through and is a list requirement. Hopefully we walk away from the draft night/s with 4-5 players added to the club.

I dont know when we pull the trigger on the WA ruckman Blakiston if we are keen to recruit him. Geelong are looming dangerously with their first pick being pick #45 and they have a history of targetting specific players at this point of the draft.

Last edited:
Yeah I like Shanahan as well, saw some of one of his VFL games earlier this year, reminds me of Mitch Lewis, would be very happy if we can trade in a late first rounder and get him.

Yeah but, maybe the Giants would just feel like doing us a solid..??? We're cool guys.

I hope we can convince SOMEONE to live trade us a pick in the teens on draft night. If we could nail 3 or 4 good picks in a draft like this, like we did with Nas, Mitchito and Windy, then all of a sudden next year with the Free Agents looking like being available we could be 12-18 months off being a serious side. Especially with the context of our post-bye performances this year. Ross can still obviously coach, there's a lot of scope for development in Windy, Wilson, Owens, Pou, Nas, Garcia, Schoenmaker, King, Sharman, Caminiti and a string of other talents that might make it (Keeler, Collard, Hastie).

Get another top 20 pick this year and move up the ladder, then draft picks can be focused on as capital for missing links in the squad and we can look at Free Agency as well.
Possibly trade our future first for a pick in the teens this year

Ive said it numerous times on the forum but its worth reminding ourselves again "that midfielders win games / premierships". We dont have to be footballing geniuses to understand our midfield needs elite players.

I now see this draft a lot like other drafts, where players can be placed into groups -

Group 1 = Ashcroft, O'Sullivan, Smith, Draper
Group 2 = Smillie, Langford, Armstrong, Tauru, Reid, Allan,
Group 3 = Lindsay, Trainor, Kako, Berry, Travaglia, Hotton, Shanahan, Lombard, Marshall
Group 4 = Hynes, Oliver, Dattoli, Dodson, Jack Whitlock, Gross, Hannaford, Sims, Davis, Gerryn.

The above is basically my expected 1st round...with some players taken earliier than expected just on list needs.

Group 5 = The rest of the draft is where this draft really excels, the depth and quallity of all positional type players is ridiculous.

Once again we find ourselves just outside the sweet spot in the draft. We are all keen on getting the two best available midfielders, but really I would be happy with any two of the Group 2 players. It will be interesting to see how our recruitment team rate this draft and whether they select another mid at pick #8 or take a tall or split it.

The other option of course is attempt to use future picks to trade back into the 1st round. Either way lets hope pick #32 remains live and we can use it to target a player that slipped through and is a list requirement. Hopefully we walk away from the draft night/s with 4-5 players added to the club.

I dont know when we pull the trigger on the WA ruckman Blakiston if we are keen to recruit him. Geelong are looming dangerously with their first pick in the draft being pick #45 and they have a history of targetting specific players at this point of the draft.
Travaglia should be in second group

Group 1 = Ashcroft, O'Sullivan, Smith, Draper
Group 2 = Smillie, Langford, Armstrong, Tauru, Reid, Allan,
Group 3 = Lindsay, Trainor, Kako, Berry, Travaglia, Hotton, Shanahan, Lombard, Marshall

I dont know when we pull the trigger on the WA ruckman Blakiston if we are keen to recruit him. Geelong are looming dangerously with their first pick in the draft being pick #45 and they have a history of targetting specific players at this point of the draft.
I assume Lalor is in Group 1, as you’ve missed him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Group 1 = Ashcroft, O'Sullivan, Smith, Draper, Lalor
Group 2 = Smillie, Langford, Armstrong, Tauru, Reid, Allan, Travaglia
Group 3 = Lindsay, Trainor, Kako, Berry, Hotton, Shanahan, Lombard, Marshall

I dont know when we pull the trigger on the WA ruckman Blakiston if we are keen to recruit him. Geelong are looming dangerously with their first pick being pick #45 and they have a history of targetting specific players at this point of the draft.
I think this is the year more than any that the tiers are so grey. Langford and Smillie every right to be very close to the top of tier 1, it just depends on your perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back