2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
The **** is Saint Kilda?

2BGQKaG.gif

The caveat was all the top rated mids are gone. Plus we’ve targeted mids heavily the past few drafts. It’s not like we don’t have any. We just need quality not quantity. The argument is we double the chances of get quality with two hits but at the expense of getting a highly rated defender? Mate I’m scared shit less of Howard and Cordy in the backline.
I'm not sure why youd be scared shitless. Doogs has been very decent and Wilkie is a star. Defence is more structure and teamwork than personnel anyway.

For all the passionate opinions on this forum, I just don't think Cole's kicking action is that bad?

Besides, all that matters is where the ball ends up. Mitchell Marsh has the worst batting technique in Australian first class cricket. Still goes alright.

Thanks for posting that. Not sure what people are talking about if they're criticising him. The ball travels from his boot directly to it's intended target. I thought that was the point of the game??

For all the passionate opinions on this forum, I just don't think Cole's kicking action is that bad?

Besides, all that matters is where the ball ends up. Mitchell Marsh has the worst batting technique in Australian first class cricket. Still goes alright.

I've got it on good authority that he signed a deal when he joined our academy that he would only kick on his opposite foot, expiring preseason 2025, but anyone worth their salt in here would know that

His ball drop is exceptionally high and just lets it go with both hands. Hard not to butcher alot of ball under high pressure with a drop like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 3rd tall defender can be coverd or replaced with a lot less than a top 10 pick. We need mids.
We do need some mids but we have more list holes than just that.

Steele, Macrae, Phillipou, Wilson, Windy, Pick 7 with small stints/depth from Clark, Dow, Henry, Garcia, Sinclair.

Not as if 1 more mid is going to make or break that group. It's not poor and shallow because we only used pick 7 and not pick 8 as well. We can afford to use pick 8 on someone who plays another position if we rate them highly.

Steele, Macrae, Phillipou, Wilson, Windy, Pick 7 with small stints/depth from Clark, Dow, Henry, Garcia, Sinclair.

Not as if 1 more mid is going to make or break that group. It's not poor and shallow because we only used pick 7 and not pick 8 as well. We can afford to use pick 8 on someone who plays another position if we rate them highly.
Project 5 years into the future and ask who'll be there and who'll be at a high enough level to have us in contention.

Project 5 years into the future and ask who'll be there and who'll be at a high enough level to have us in contention.

Realistically, it could still be this from those currently on our list.

Now let's also play that game with our key backs - Wilkie, Howard, Cordy, Schoenmaker (does he even qualify as a key back?)

Considering Wilson does not play mids and nowadays Steele, McCrae and Windy are solid B graders, Clark and Dow B-, Garcia who knows, maybe. Sinclair and Henry - not sure that is where the coaching group want to play them but not game breakers (yet maybe).

Considering the whole AFL - supporters, commentators, the local duck - will tell you Saint's big weakness, the hole in the list - is quality mids.

Considering the coaching panel has strongly hinted that they know all of the above and want to target mids.

Considering A grade mids are very hard to nab via trade (defenders not so much)

Considering no team has won a flag since 1961 without at least 2 or 3 A grade mids.

It is hard to see why anyone would want to steer the ship off course. Is it just because the draft season is so long and people are just trying to say something different?

Or is it just the usual Saints thing - we have 2 top 10 picks, let's see how we can stuff up the apparently unstuffable.

Now let's also play that game with our key backs - Wilkie, Howard, Cordy, Schoenmaker (does he even qualify as a key back?)
I agree. If Tauru got through to our first pick I wouldn’t have a problem picking him, or even Trainor with our second. Getting one of those two along with Cole and Hoffman could set the backline up for the next decade. It would allow those guys to do an apprenticeship alongside Wilkie, Dougs and Sinclair.
We also need to keep in mind that there’s a couple of handy mids who are free agents next year who may have given us an indication of where they’d like to play next year.

Considering Wilson does not play mids and nowadays Steele, McCrae and Windy are solid B graders, Clark and Dow B-, Garcia who knows, maybe. Sinclair and Henry - not sure that is where the coaching group want to play them but not game breakers (yet maybe).

Considering the whole AFL - supporters, commentators, the local duck - will tell you Saint's big weakness, the hole in the list - is quality mids.

Considering the coaching panel has strongly hinted that they know all of the above and want to target mids.

Considering A grade mids are very hard to nab via trade (defenders not so much)

Considering no team has won a flag since 1961 without at least 2 or 3 A grade mids.

It is hard to see why anyone would want to steer the ship off course. Is it just because the draft season is so long and people are just trying to say something different?

Or is it just the usual Saints thing - we have 2 top 10 picks, let's see how we can stuff up the apparently unstuffable.
Or have some supporters become too attached to a fan made narrative that we will only be taking two midfielders that they now cant comprehend that other types of players might be the best available at our pick?

Or have some supporters become too attached to a fan made narrative that we will only be taking two midfielders that they now cant comprehend that other types of players might be the best available at our pick?

Nope. We don't win a flag with McCrae, Windy, Steele, Henry, Pou, Dow as our core mids. We probably don't compete top 4. And fixing that is not a matter of bring one promising mid in per year.

Pick 2 mids and there is always a risk that they don't come on. But if they do, you have changed the game and Saints have to take that chance.

I have faith in Lyons defensive structures that he can make a good defensive unit out of B grade talent, he has done it again and again. What he can't paper over is a B grade midfield.

Back to my original point, thoes types are easier to get. I'm not saying we don't draft any, just not with pick 8 this year.

Back to my original point, thoes types are easier to get. I'm not saying we don't draft any, just not with pick 8 this year.

Exactly. Look at Saints 2009 team. Best defensive unit in the AFL with Dawson, Gilbert, Gwilt and Blake in the back 6. Defense is primarily about structure and role playing. Lyon has time and again crafted great defensive units out of average players. Defense does not overly concern me.

Look at 2009 Saints mids- Hayes, Dal Santo, Ball, Montagna. That is the difference between Saints 2004 - 2009 and Saints 2012 - 2024.

Nope. We don't win a flag with McCrae, Windy, Steele, Henry, Pou, Dow as our core mids. We probably don't compete top 4. And fixing that is not a matter of bring one promising mid in per year.

Pick 2 mids and there is always a risk that they don't come on. But if they do, you have changed the game and Saints have to take that chance.

I have faith in Lyons defensive structures that he can make a good defensive unit out of B grade talent, he has done it again and again. What he can't paper over is a B grade midfield.
So if all the projected top midfielders are gone by pick 8, you would rather we pick a mid from the next rung down over a defender we theoretically rank as a better talent?

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back