2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Clearances 34 to 33 Sydney

Inside 50's 51 to 49 Brisbane

I 50 Efficiency Brisbane 67% Sydney 38%

Marks inside 50 Brisbane 22 Sydney 9

Total scored by Amartey, McLean and McDonald combined 0 goals 1 behind

Couldn't take a mark inside and and when the ball went to ground their pressure inside 50 was abysmal.
Brisbane's defence was awesome on GF day (and damn good v Geelong too).

The very underrated Starcevich and Wilmot especially. Andrews was dominant as you'd expect.

If we're looking at their blueprint then it's pretty clear that you need match winners on every line, not just in the midfield (but that where we need to start right now).

I'm certainly not against taking the Viking at #8 IF we can trade a F1 & get back into the teens for a Lindsay/Hotton type.

If we rate Tauru (or someone else) as top 8 or higher then surely the right decision is to take him?

Our young key position posts look a little bare to be honest. Tauru could be perfect for us.
Firstly. Tauru is 193 Cm. He isn’t a true key back in 2024.

So the question we need to be asking is that if we traded pick 8.

With the aim of getting 15+16.

Would we Rather: Tauru or Armstrong (best key position prospects at 8)

Or would we prefer 2 from the group consisting of:Tauru Armstrong Trainor Lindsay Travaglia Berry Reid Allan Hotton Whitlock x2 Hynes Shanahan

Or would we prefer 2 from the group consisting of:Tauru Armstrong Trainor Lindsay Travaglia Berry Reid Allan Hotton Whitlock x2 Hynes Shanahan
If we nabbed an elite mid with our first pick and the rest of the elite mid bunch are gone:
Trade down grab a midfielder + a small forward or key position player

If we nabbed an elite mid with our first pick and the rest of the elite mid bunch are gone:
Trade down grab a midfielder + a small forward or key position player
If what SteeleSaints posted happens and we get pick 2 for 8+F1.

That pretty much the situation infront of us unless Melbourne at 5 or Richmond at 6 get spooked into taking a Key position talent or Murphy Reid.

If what SteeleSaints posted happens and we get pick 2 for 8+F1.

That pretty much the situation infront of us unless Melbourne at 5 or Richmond at 6 get spooked into taking a Key position talent or Murphy Reid.
The other option in that situation is if another club offers a kings ransom for that pick and you trade into next year. Receiving perhaps a future first (from a club we project to be poor next year), and a later 1st round pick this year

Only what has been speculated on the forum. But if one of Richmond, North or West Coast offered up a future first +additional picks this year and next year you’d have to think about.
Again, even if you got one of those picks.

Let’s say it’s pick 1.

There is apparently 2-3 players via academies and father sons who are better and should be taken prior.

You would in essence be getting 3-4th best kid. Not the best.

It’s not the draft to trade into. Hence so many clubs wanting to trade out.

I am a swinging voter depending on availability - but atm I would prefer the trading pick #8 option.

Taking two quality players over a single key defender is a much better prospect IMO. Just think about the other clubs around that point of the draft, they will be wrapt with who they get in this draft and we could get two players instead of one. A combination of Lindsay and Shanahan or Hynes and J Whitlock are mouth watering.

Unrelated: but a player who is flying under the radar is Logan Smith 204cm the GWS academy ruckman. He is rated the 2nd best ruckman in the draft after Dodson and we would be well placed to bid on him with our 2nd round pick #32.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only what has been speculated on the forum. But if one of Richmond, North or West Coast offered up a future first +additional picks this year and next year you’d have to think about.
There’s literally 4+ FS/Academy guys in the top 10 right now. Additionally, the top end is stacked with talls so it’s better to take one of the first round mids this year than to take a top 5(8-10) one next year. The best open pool mid (atm) is also South Australian

No chance West Coast trade their F1 with Warner on the horizon

Norf will want to keep theirs for the kpps

Richmond the only option so it’s massively unlikely even if it does become a consideration

Tom morris is such a flog
captaining the st.kilda 3rds at jubilee park ringwood #2 oval tomorrow and nov 2,if someone wants to set up a heckling group and watch a few overs,last season he left to play subbies,but is now back at the saints,i guess with trade period done he is more free now,i guess he will miss the game on draft weekend,deighton and hill are both keepers,so he has lost his job,but straight in as captain

logo.jpg

Ringwood 3rd XI
-
Upcoming
logo.png

St Kilda 3rd XI
-

Two Day+

11:30 AM, Sat, 26 Oct 2411:30 AM, Sat, 02 Nov 24

Jubilee Park (RINGWOOD) / Jubilee Park No. 2 Oval
Batting Line-Up

Players
Will Ashton
Tom Deighton
Tom Hill(WK)
vc
James Thewlis
Declan McComb
Tom Morris
c
Jobe Kennedy
Luke Destito
Luke Gandy
Yuvraj Lidder
Aga Danish Hussain
Orlando Pender

Sorry but that is an absolute bog ordinary midfield. Like everyone, I desperately hope Pou (a) becomes the player we want him to become and (b) stays at the Saints. But as we sit today, he has a couple of very good games versus a generally ordinary year.

Steele - I don't know, give him another year, two at A grade level? That might be hoping for too much.
McCrae - probably similar comment as above. Neither of them are in the top 20 mids in the AFL - is Steele in top 30? Probably still hanging in there.
Dow, Clark - just no. Can do a job but not much more.
Garcia - who knows, I hope so.
Jones - if we get anoter 20 games out of him he will be batting above career average.

So as we sit today, it is likely the next time we should be challenging - maybe 26 (?) we will have midfield led by Pou and supported by Windy, a 31 year old Steele and a 33 year old McCrae and hopefully Garcia has come on. Dark nights ahead.

That is my argument to stay focussed and target the best mids available at our picks this year. Hopefully we pluck a couple and go hard at a free agent next year.

I'd favour mids, but just because they are picked relatively early is no guarantee they'll be elite. ( Paddy Dow and Liam Stocker say hi ).

I'm in favour of best available , more or less.
So if its lineball , choose the mid.
But if there is a Nasiah WM there and the mid is a stretch, or has doubts, choose the gun.

I don't think Tauru is a backman. He looks like a wingman to me.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think Tauru is a backman. He looks like a wingman to me.

Disagree. He plays a bit like Tom Stewart/Nick Vlaustin/Jeremy Howe imo

He’d be wasted on a wing. His attributes would be maximised a lot better in the backline/fwd line where he’s consistently involved with the play

There was a game this year where he literally played whichever side the wind was blowing to leverage his elite reading of the ball, whether it was forward or back

We just have to select the best midfield talent available - whether that be with pick seven and eight, or any other variation we manage to have come draft night.

Although it is great to have some optimism when it comes to our young list, we need to understand that there are absolutely no guarantees with anything.

Nas, Pou, Michito, Darcy etc are fantastic talents and should develop into great players, but no one can predict whether any of them will get injuries, or even request trades. What if Nas decides he wants to go home next year? Changes everything.

I am obviously not saying any of that will happen, but that's why I take umbrage with people predicting our list in five years time etc, because talented draft picks fail just as often than they succeed. Our next star might not even be at the club yet.

Regardless, we just need to keep investing in our midfield, because it is without doubt our weakest line and we can't win a flag without improving it. I'd rather have too many than too few, cause our injury history says we will need depth.

As many have discussed, this current administration, from the outside looking in, is seemingly competent and is capable of getting us into a position to be a contender. We just need some luck and a little bit of belief.

Find it interesting that some believe our midfield is so bad, yet when we got something near our best midfield back on the park we won 6 of 8, beating Sydney, Geelong, Carlton and flogging Essendon while getting pipped by Port by 2 points. Only Brisbane got hold of us.
This was without a developing Wilson, no Windy, and both Pou and Henry taking very little part.
I want two more quality mids but if there is only one there, it would be irresponsible to take someone inferior to best available.

Find it interesting that some believe our midfield is so bad, yet when we got something near our best midfield back on the park we won 6 of 8, beating Sydney, Geelong, Carlton and flogging Essendon while getting pipped by Port by 2 points. Only Brisbane got hold of us.
This was without a developing Wilson, no Windy, and both Pou and Henry taking very little part.
I want two more quality mids but if there is only one there, it would be irresponsible to take someone inferior to best available.

Our midfield is bang average.

The top 8 sides all have midfield guns in them that are better players than Steele.

Our midfield is bang average.

The top 8 sides all have midfield guns in them that are better players than Steele.
Didn't say it was good, also said we should draft two quality mids. Have been on the mids bandwagon for a decade.
However I did not find it a fluke we beat Sydney, Geelong, Carlton, Essendon etc once we got a semblance of our mids back.
We need mids but not more 'bang average' mids if that's all that is left.

If we're honest, we could probably use an improvement in every position except that half back flank and probably our key forward stocks.

If the talent is fairly equal, definitely go miss. But if we take Smilie with 7 and our recruiters think Tarau is a far better talent than the next best mid, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The best case scenario is definitely two gun miss though.

I know it's a popular though but id hate to see us trade our future first for a pick in the teens. This can't be our last good start before Tassie come in, we need to bring in around 6 decent prospects over this year and next year to reinforce our emerging core. I think we could be shooting ourselves in the foot by trading out a top 10 pick for a late first.

While I agree with what you’re saying I’m not sure it completes the whole picture. We still struggled to be damaging out of stoppage IMO which would greatly improve us. Also, depth is still an issue and ideally we add depth at the top end.
Having said all that, we need to pick best available.

While I agree with what you’re saying I’m not sure it completes the whole picture. We still struggled to be damaging out of stoppage IMO which would greatly improve us. Also, depth is still an issue and ideally we add depth at the top end.
Having said all that, we need to pick best available.
Tough choice. There will be some very happy and others not so happy with who we pick.
Imperative we keep 7, there will be a slider from the top mids, the common belief it will be Smillie, but Reid, Langford and others have been discussed.
There will still be quality players at our picks, I would not be unhappy with two of the above, or one and a Tauru, Xavier Lindsay.
Would be exciting to have Richmond's picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back