2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Those rounds were a hard watch...the second season in a row where we've had a significant slump.
Personally I think our delivery forward still needs work. We're great at moving the ball until we get to the the half forward line... but goes a bit pear shaped unless we keep momentum, and the mids keep running it in towards goal. When we go to try and hit up longer leads, our kicks are just too easy to pick off.
I think we looked good those last few rounds due to short kicks to short leads within the 50...and the mids running it into goal when they had opportunity.
We won't be able to get away with that all of the time though, which is why the ability to hit up longer leads is important.
Also helps when our forwards move towards the carrier mind you.
All in all though, having skilled players is just good practice in general.
I don't know who those guys are in the draft at our picks, I rely on you guys for that info, but for every two pro's...there seems a con 🤷🏼‍♂️
RTB's mantra is Safe to fail and Excellence in learning. Transferred to reality it encourages players to take risks and push their envelope so long as they learn and develop from it. When you're not going well or against good oppo it can materialise into a lot of errors, but that's just navigating growth. Something Richo never understood. You can look at Mr Bonner as an example of someone who failed the learning component and was promptly dismissed.
That bad period demonstrated the squad have learnt to slug it out when things aren't going well and when they acclimatised to the slug fest the offensive side was able to come out of it's shell after the bye. We'll see if it carries over into next season but being hard to beat is RTBs hallmark so we can expect it will. The hope is that period established the foundations but it was just a bit late to make finals. As supporters we live week to week, but the club are operating a multi year plan so it can only be judged in that context. I think they're going pretty well to be honest. Enough so that they saw fit to lose the layer of insulation provided by Seb, Timmy, TC, etc and expose the kids. I'm expecting another development year but also finals if injuries allow. Time will tell.

I’ll have a crack:

1. Richmond - Lalor
2. Richmond - O’Sullivan
3. Carlton - Smith
4. Adelaide - Draper
5. Melbourne - Langford
6. North - Tauru
7. St. Kilda - Smillie
8. St. Kilda - Travaglia
9. Melbourne - Armstrong
3-5 so uncertain. For instance I could see Carlton take Draper ahead of Smith and if that occurred what do Adelaide do? Take Smith or does Smith slide even further? Who knows. Goodwin interviewed Smillie at the combine but was that based on considering him at pick 5 or 9? Smillie might be in the frame for 5 ahead of Langford.

Can see this in an alternative universe

1. FOS - Rich
2. Lalor - Rich
3. Draper - Carl
4. Smith (or Langford) - Adel
5. Smillie - Melb
6. Tauru - NM
7. Langford (or Smith) - StK
8. Travaglia (agree with you here) - StK
9. Armstrong (also makes sense) - Melb

3-5 so uncertain. For instance I could see Carlton take Draper ahead of Smith and if that occurred what do Adelaide do? Take Smith or does Smith slide even further? Who knows. Goodwin interviewed Smillie at the combine but was that based on considering him at pick 5 or 9? Smillie might be in the frame for 5 ahead of Langford.

Can see this in an alternative universe

1. FOS - Rich
2. Lalor - Rich
3. Draper - Carl
4. Smith (or Langford) - Adel
5. Smillie - Melb
6. Tauru - NM
7. Langford (or Smith) - StK
8. Travaglia (agree with you here) - StK
9. Armstrong (also makes sense) - Melb
We better hope a VIC mid lands at Adelaide - as a safety measure.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back