2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Taj Hotton

DRAFT RANGE: 8-15

SUMMARY:

Despite missing most his top-age campaign through injury, Hotton remains one of the most exciting talents in this year’s crop. His early-season exploits should remain in the memory of recruiters, and such dazzling athletic traits are hard to ignore in the modern game. Hotton’s ability to take the next step as a genuine midfielder-forward saw him accelerate into top 15 calculations, and he should be snapped up around that range on draft night. Clubs will likely look at how an agile player like Darcy Jones bounced back from his ACL tear when considering Hotton, who will likely take a steady approach to his first AFL preseason. He has links to Collingwood and Carlton, and St Kilda via his father and brother respectively, but is not officially tied to any club.
I like the DJ comparison, he was really good this year and displayed the same electricity as he did before his ACL

If Taj can do the same he'll be an absolute gun. A forward group with Henry, Taj, Collard, Higgins feeding at the contests of King and Sharman would be genuinely electric and full of the x-factor we've lacked for so long

I like the DJ comparison, he was really good this year and displayed the same electricity as he did before his ACL

If Taj can do the same he'll be an absolute gun. A forward group with Henry, Taj, Collard, Higgins feeding at the contests of King and Sharman would be genuinely electric and full of the x-factor we've lacked for so long

Reminds me of Kai Lohmann when he plays further up the ground; smaller frame, great skills, has the agility and speed and is a good mark for a guy his size. Has more midfield and stoppage capacity from the highlights I saw then Lohmann though.

West Coast probably the worst of them. Shuey, Reddan, Hutchings, Yeo and Mastens across the centre line and ruck. Venables and Sheed off the interchange. Even Richmond had Cotch who was a very good player but not an absolute match winner, Edwards and Prestia with impact work from Dusty. Dusty the only absolute star player.

Shuey, Yeo, Gaff (who misses the actual flag) were all genuine A graders through the flag year, even if not absolute A+ types.

Cotch is A grade for a chunk of his career but has probably dropped slightly by the flag years. Prestia gets very close to A grade. Martin obviously A+.

I think you need either an A+ and good support or a few around A.

Josh Smillie

DRAFT RANGE: 3-8

SUMMARY:

Smillie has all the tools required to not only be a highly desirable draft prospect, but also an elite AFL player. He may have fallen away from some of the leading pack, but arguably has the most promising profile on paper and remains firmly fixed inside the top 10. At 195cm, he offers similar ball winning acumen to Patrick Cripps and Tom Green, but is also quite the athlete and a distinguished ball user. While Smillie will look to stamp himself as a midfielder at the top level, his traits could better apply to a role in defence where his ball use and decision making shine.

Would LOVE to get this kid.

Imagine what a season at Sandy under BJs guidance will do for him?

Give me Smillie at 7 and then trade 8 for multiple picks in the late 1st round to nab one of the 'B' grade mids and Jobe Shanahan.

Would LOVE to get this kid.

Imagine what a season at Sandy under BJs guidance will do for him?

Give me Smillie at 7 and then trade 8 for multiple picks in the late 1st round to nab one of the 'B' grade mids and Jobe Shanahan.
I want a third pick of our own in this draft.

If we get Smillie at 7, I’m edging closer to the front seat of the Murphy Reid bus at 8.

If that’s how it plays out I’d be very happy. Reid is underrated by many but that sort of class is what wins finals imo.
7: Smillie
8: Reid

F1 to the giants for: Trainor

P32: Dodson

naked orgasm GIF

If that’s how it plays out I’d be very happy. Reid is underrated by many but that sort of class is what wins finals imo.
Agree ... something about him that goes under the radar ..... a cool determination which seems measured and unflappable .... type of player that just makes others around him better whilst he himself goes around just carving it up ...... very smart operator with a great football brain and very solid skills

Agree on Allan, some dont seem to like Lindsay but Allan is the other obvious midfield option with speed. I think the WA kids get under rated at times as they are not under eyes as much as others. The other thing with WA kids is I don't think their junior development programs are any where near as good as the Vics and in some cases they have more scope for improvement.

190cm quick powerful left footed clearance mid, he has all the tools of Langford but possibly not as strong over head. Crikey if we put Smillie 195cm, Phillipou 191cm, Macrae 191cm, Allan 190, Steele 187cm & Windhager 185cm we will have a tall midfield.
I just watch his highlights in the wafl gf. He looks a bigger version of Chad Warner. Gonna be a star

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Smillie

DRAFT RANGE: 3-8

SUMMARY:

Smillie has all the tools required to not only be a highly desirable draft prospect, but also an elite AFL player. He may have fallen away from some of the leading pack, but arguably has the most promising profile on paper and remains firmly fixed inside the top 10. At 195cm, he offers similar ball winning acumen to Patrick Cripps and Tom Green, but is also quite the athlete and a distinguished ball user. While Smillie will look to stamp himself as a midfielder at the top level, his traits could better apply to a role in defence where his ball use and decision making shine.
Defender, is the thing that worries me about this kid. If he's not a pure mid., why would we bother? And i think Travaglia is ahead of him then, as a defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back