2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Jagga ain’t sliding
Really comes down to who Carlton pick. If FoS is off the board I can't see them taking Jagga. I think it will be Draper. Adelaide might take him but think that Landford/Smillie would suit better. Dees are into Smillie, Reid and Armstrong.

The chances of him sliding to us are very low, but I can see a world where it does happen

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I honestly don't understand North's thinking with the pick 2 deal.

Assuming they are locked in on Tauru, knowing you can get him at 6 doesn't mean selling pick 2 cheap does it?

Why would you give up your F1st (likely a top 3 pick) for pick 11 here? Especially when next year's top end is meant to be KPP heavy and they are screaming for KPP talent.

They don't need any more mids/flankers so why do it?

The only thing I can think it that they are gonna double dip and grab Tauru at 6 and Trainor at 11? Get an extra year of development into Trainor vs a top 3-5 pick next year?

Really comes down to who Carlton pick. If FoS is off the board I can't see them taking Jagga. I think it will be Draper. Adelaide might take him but think that Landford/Smillie would suit better. Dees are into Smillie, Reid and Armstrong.

The chances of him sliding to us are very low, but I can see a world where it does happen

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Double that with Smillie already being coached by Blair Hartley at Park Orchards (?), not sure he gets through Richmond's Pick 6. There is a world that Jagga falls to us....

I have a life savings of luck all saved for this moment
Card Declined GIF by Christmas Music

Yeah, with Sinclair & Webster now veterans, Travaglia would be a good replacement & to play alongside Nas. Lindsay too, but Trav rated higher? Maybe we take them both haha.

Won't find the explosive mid. by the looks of it, in this draft, so will have to hit free agency next year & hope we land either Brayshaw or LDU.

Boxshall the smokey, as an explosive mid. Seen him at pick 30 on one draft board.
Bo hall

Double that with Smillie already being coached by Blair Hartley at Park Orchards (?), not sure he gets through Richmond's Pick 6. There is a world that Jagga falls to us....
To be perfectly honest, I think I’d be happier with Langford or Smillie - one of those drafts. And whoever out of those is the last one on the board, then we’ll have to move to a Travaglia, Lindsay, Allan, maybe a bigger mid wouldn’t be the worst.

Although I’d love Allan and a Smith-Allan double would be a good mix

So after watching some highlight videos and championship highlights I am definitely against Lindsay at 7 & 8, and would probably prefer Tauru or Armstrong over Travaglia as well but would be ok with Travaglia at 8 provided a mid at 7 is taken. Don't want to invest heavily into more "could transition to the midfield" type picks (eg. Coffield).

Lindsay is the opposite of "clean" or "one touch" from the clips I saw, and that's playing at under 18 level. Don't think that fumbly trait will convert well at AFL level. His kicking looks great, some good decision making, I reckon will be a decent distributor off halfback when there's no pressure or heat on him, but seems to spend it before he's got it under control when there's pressure. Reminds me of Billings, could be a reliable link in a chain off halfback or on a wing, but don't see him as a game changer.

Travaglia I would be less disappointed with if we drafted him with one of our 2 picks, he seems to have a bit more pace and reminds me of Darcy Wilson a bit, looks like he has the toe and workrate that Ross loves. Has a bit more height and marking ability from what I saw compared to Lindsay. Won some ball at stoppages and had the time and decision making that suggests he is a better chance to play on ball at AFL level. Still far from a sure thing as a midfield prospect but you can see a bit in his championship games at defensive half stoppages from the couple of clips I saw.

With Sinclair, Nas, Hill, Wilson, Wood and Hastie I just don't think we need anymore halfback/wing types with hard running and speed as prospects. We need mids, it's been done to death, but it's simple. At least 1 true out and out mid. One of Smillie/Langford/Reid/Smith/Draper with pick 7 would mean Travaglia at 8 would be alright. Honestly would rather Tauru, Trainor, Hotton, Armstong, Travaglia or even Shanahan at 8 rather than Lindsay.

The dream would be North trading back to 6 to take Tauru and Melbourne reaching for Armstrong at 5. All of a sudden 2 of the top mids are available for us at 7 & 8. Seems long odds though...
Travaglia compared to Will Day, who I’m a fan of..just saying!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This looks like the most likely draft board before any pick trades.

Richmond - 1Finn O’Sullivan
Brisbane - 2Levi Ashcroft
North Melbourne - 3Harvey Langford
Carlton - 4Sam Lalor
Adelaide - 5Sid Draper
Melbourne - 6Jagga Smith
Richmond - 7Murphy Reid
St Kilda - 8Josh Smillie
St Kilda - 9Alix Tauru
Melbourne - 10Harry Armstrong

Trading 8 + F1 to North for 2 + F2 would net us a second midfield selection of Langford, Lalor, Draper, Jagga, Reid. If we don't it's more than likely we get only 1 mid probably Josh Smillie or Murphy Reid and our selection of the best KPP in the draft.
This would be an outstanding scenario..Tauru & Smillie 🤗

Comparing offers and outcomes for pick 2;

Richmond offer sounds like it is 6+18 at best.
StK offer sounds like 8+F1 (6-12) + ???.

Both offers put NM behind Melbourne so 6-8 difference is not relevant if they are looking to draft Tauru. In either scenario they would need to be sure Melbourne will go for the mid first at 5, which I think is likely.

Assuming NM land Tauru with 6/8, this years 18 seems more in line with their strategy than our first next year even though it might be as high as pick 4 so I think they take Richmond's offer as long as Melbourne draft a mid.

NM take Richmond's offer;
1. Lalor - Rich
2. O'Sullivan - Rich
3. Draper - Carl
4. Langford - Adel
5. Smilie - Melb (Think they want a 'big bodied mid' from all reports)
6. Tauru - NM
7. Smith - StK
8. Reid - StK

Option 1 = Smith + Reid

NM take StK's offer; (would only do so with our assurance not to draft Tauru, which make sme think it would be 7+F1 instead but no matter)
1. Lalor - Rich
2. O'Sullivan - StK
3. Draper - Carl
4. Langford - Adel
5. Smilie - Melb
6. Smith - Rich
7. Tauru - NM
8. Reid - StK

Option 2 = O'Sullivan + Reid

Obviously not what is going to happen order wise, but is our F1 worth the difference betwen Smith & O'Sullivan?

Even though I've been a massive advocate for top 5 picks, you'd have to want at least NM's F2 back in our scenario. Think I'd still favour option 2 personally with the odd chance Melbourne like Reid enough to bump us another slider.

Just hoping they trade it either way as NM hold pick 2 is pretty much snake eyes.
North will only trade #2 if they get 2 picks inside the top 10

Yeah, with Sinclair & Webster now veterans, Travaglia would be a good replacement & to play alongside Nas. Lindsay too, but Trav rated higher? Maybe we take them both haha.

Won't find the explosive mid. by the looks of it, in this draft, so will have to hit free agency next year & hope we land either Brayshaw or LDU.

Boxshall the smokey, as an explosive mid. Seen him at pick 30 on one draft board.
Your boy Boxshall is flying up ranks. Lots of clubs considering him in the second round…I wonder if one them is us?👀

If we don’t take Travaglia, Boxshall could be a solid alternative - same height and game style

Would complement the contested beast in Smillie really well. Also would make taking Reid more justifiable imo with that added burst

Smillie already has an AFL body..

Watching the highlights package I really noticed this.

Had a bit of a tendency to throw it on the boot quickly.

"While usually a polished and poised user, Smillie was tested at the National Championships. Other, smaller midfielders lifted with the pace of the game, and he was afforded less time to play to his own cruisy tempo. As a result, his kicking efficiency fell to 56 per cent and much of his impact centred around the stoppages. He struggled to get involved in his second position as a forward, too."

Kid does seem like a beast though and has a bit of Hunter Clark (with size) about him around stoppages.

I'm leaning towards Smilie and Reid being my preferred outcome. A 195cm clearance brute and a classy accumulator, both of whom will hit the scoreboard. They're also a solid chance of simply being the two best available players who just happen to fit our needs perfectly. If someone takes Reid before our pick then it seems Jagga might slide and he'd be an excellent alternative.

I'm leaning towards Smilie and Reid being my preferred outcome. A 195cm clearance brute and a classy accumulator, both of whom will hit the scoreboard. They're also a solid chance of simply being the two best available players who just happen to fit our needs perfectly. If someone takes Reid before our pick then it seems Jagga might slide and he'd be an excellent alternative.
This would be incredible. I'm hoping we get Reid.

Steele
Macrae
Clark
Henry
Pou
Reid
Smilie
Windhager
Dow
Garcia
Jones

Is all of a sudden a deep midfield.

Wings- Hill, Wood, Byrnes, Milera (when not hbf)

Starts to look pretty good.

My dream outcome is Smilie & Reid. Not only do I think they have enormous upside but I think the also compliment our existing young mids really well.

Windhager & Garcia are your blue collar type
We get a big bodied mid in Smilie
Phillipou as an inside outside mid/fwd
Reid as an accumulator death by a thousand cuts type with scoreboard impact

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back