2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Afternoon everyone, I come in peace!

What do you all think the chances are of you taking Harry Armstrong with 1 of your first 2 picks? going 1 x mid and 1 x key forward?

I'd love him at the Tigers but I think the Saints might be our biggest threat of taking him with King, Sharman and Caminiti the main key forward stocks currently.
Unlikely but he is a Dragons boy which might appeal to us - although so is Reid and I think we'd prefer him over Armstrong

Most of us on here don't see the upside in picking Armstrong

I reckon Melbourne at pick 9 are the team you guys should be worrying about, if they get a mid at 5 then I'd imagine Armstrong would be their priority

Hi guys, not one to post much, as well as not in a very long while…

Admittedly, I do read the Saints forum all the time…

Anyway, so I’m posting today because I’ve been sitting on a snippet of info …and after reading the last few pages, have decided it’s only fair to pass it on to all you kind folk....

Okay…. so, after a great day attending this year’s Grand Final, was downing a few cold one’s in the sports bar at Crown when a stranger approached me at the bar (I was wearing a St Kilda cap) and he told me he knew one of the players we were drafting. I scoffed and told him he couldn’t possibly know. And so, he proceeded to show me several photos on his phone of his daughter and her boyfriend. I recognised the player instantly. Apparently, the player and his daughter had been dating for quite some time, and now the young man was like a son to him, so what he was telling me was coming from a reliable source.

He said, St Kilda have interviewed this player several times now. And in the last interview, we told him that if he is still available at our pick …we will take him.

Give him the Number 1 and tell him if he even thinks about cutting that white hair then he’ll be delisted.

Would be interested to see his time trial results.

Anyway, so I’m posting today because I’ve been sitting on a snippet of info …and after reading the last few pages, have decided it’s only fair to pass it on to all you kind folk....

Okay…. so, after a great day attending this year’s Grand Final, was downing a few cold one’s in the sports bar at Crown when a stranger approached me at the bar (I was wearing a St Kilda cap) and he told me he knew one of the players we were drafting. I scoffed and told him he couldn’t possibly know. And so, he proceeded to show me several photos on his phone of his daughter and her boyfriend. I recognised the player instantly. Apparently, the player and his daughter had been dating for quite some time, and now the young man was like a son to him, so what he was telling me was coming from a reliable source.

He said, St Kilda have interviewed this player several times now. And in the last interview, we told him that if he is still available at our pick …we will take him.
Who is the player?

What do you all think the chances are of you taking Harry Armstrong with 1 of your first 2 picks? going 1 x mid and 1 x key forward?

I'd love him at the Tigers but I think the Saints might be our biggest threat of taking him with King, Sharman and Caminiti the main key forward stocks currently.
Personally I think we either take Tauru, or if he's gone we have 2 cracks at a gun mid.

But who knows, really? I doubt any of the "experts" will settle on a top 5, let alone a top ten order this year.

But which ⛏️? May not be 7 or 8.

I'd be absolutely shocked if we took a key forward with one of our two early picks.

We need mids more than anything. A Battle replacement wouldn't hurt either so Tarau might be in the mix.

he was talking about Bo Allen
This makes things very interesting...

Thanks for sharing mate!

Inside scoop is we'll take him if he's available at 8, I reckon you'll have to get him at pick 6.

👀

Someone should make both Allan and Lindsay take a medical to make sure their right foot actually exists.

Tauru seems to make an effort to kick off both, which is one of the reasons I prefer him if we take a non-mid early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be very disappointed if we used a top 10 pick on a key forward given the three you listed and Owens who also plays as a key forward. We seemed fairly set in that area moving forward.

While I dont think we should be drafted solely on needs, there are similarly rated mids and key backs who would fill bigger holes without us reaching to take them.

I see a few on here would be quite happy if we took Bo Allan... but what about the rest of you, would it sit ok if we took him over Smillie?
no,im for playing safe,if we take the guy that has spent time as the projected #1 pick and is still rated in the top tier & it goes wrong so be it,rather than take the flavour of the month guy who has been projected in the teens consistently

I see a few on here would be quite happy if we took Bo Allan... but what about the rest of you, would it sit ok if we took him over Smillie?
I'd be happy with Allan at 8 but Smillie is my favourite of this group so would be disappointed if we overlooked him.

I would be disappointed. Smillie could be a superstar inside contested ball-winning mid and has been highly rated all year - I think we'd be lucky if he falls to us because of illness in Champs

I'm not really sure what Allan could be - just another B-grade mid with leg speed? His kicking is really off-putting. Not really a goalkicker either. Can't think of any superstar mids to compare his attribute base with. Could be similar to a more defensive Connor Rozee?

I'd be happy with Allan at 8 but Smillie is my favourite of this group so would be disappointed if we overlooked him.
I’d be happy to take them both. Allan has genuine speed and seems a great athlete.

Both Smillie and Allan are genuine centre square mids and would give us serious grunt in the middle, complementing Philipou’s skill and class.

With 2 big powerful units like that you could afford the 3rd mid at times to be smaller and dynamic (ala Wilson, Henry).

Isn't Bo Allan a potential flight risk back to WA?

At some stage we have to mature as a club and back ourselves in to keep these kids happy at Moorabbin. Blake Acres was from Perth and he loved the club and didn't want to leave. Brad Hill loves Melbourne and was raised in WA. Phillipou, NWM & Keeler from SA looked settled, hopefully they can do something like the Richmond lads, win 4 flags with the Saints then look to head home for their retirement plans.

Bo Allen will 100% be available at our pick, his combine testing was top notch. Foot skill is the query in the footage Ive seen he has a tendency to burn it. Although last time Dalrymple picked a WA mid it turned out pretty well

An early season game from Murphy Reid. He played more forward minutes which led to a lower possession count than we became accustomed to from him later in the season but he still demonstrated his poise and class with the ball in hand.

I can only see us taking either Tauru or Trainor (with a later one) when it comes to KPPs.

I still think FOS if he is there at pick 2 would be worth trading up to (whilst keeping 7).

Having said that, I am coming around to any of Smillie, FOS, Lalor, Smith, Reid, Draper, Tauru or Langford at 7 or 8. I'm not getting my hopes up for any of them, as long as it's from that group.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back