2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:

Bo Allen will 100% be available at our pick, his combine testing was top notch. Foot skill is the query in the footage Ive seen he has a tendency to burn it. Although last time Dalrymple picked a WA mid it turned out pretty well

I keep reading about his lack of foot skills I don't see the issue. He doesn't kick lasers but he is mostly a really good kick. We have to remember the step up to state champs is a much bigger step for the interstate kids to acclimatise to the speed of games, than the CTL lads. He later played WAFL senior games and his timing kept improving with the more exposure he had. He is a kid who's game is not perfect, but I'll back his physical traits in to become a very very good AFL clearance midfielder.

His stats in the champs matched those of Smillie and he made the AA side, plus he provided a lot more speed on the ball when he had it.

Again we may take others with pick #7 but I expect Allan to be high on our want list.

Last edited:
I keep reading about his lack of foot skills I don't see the issue. He doesn't kick lasers but he is mostly a really good kick. We have to remember the step up to state champs is a much bigger step for the interstate kids to acclimatise to the speed of games, than the CTL lads. He later played WAFL senior games and his timing kept improving with the more exposure he had. He is a kid who's game is not perfect, but I'll back his physical traits in to become a very very good AFL clearance midfielder.

Again we may take others with pick #7 but I expect Allan to be high on our want list.
You're reading about it because it is noticeably deficient. I have confidence that it can be improved if we pick him up but it definitley will need some work.

His stats in the champs matched those of Smillie and he provided a lot more speed on the ball when he had it.

His kicking technique is the issue.

Check the ball drop

Smillie- accumulater, reliable kick over shorter distance- doesn't use his big frame enough in the contest, nothing special athletically, slow.
Allen- accumulater, questionable kicking, good in the contest, good all-round athlete, quickish

Smillie- accumulater, reliable kick over shorter distance- doesn't use his big frame enough in the contest, nothing special athletically, slow.
Allen- accumulater, questionable kicking, good in the contest, good all-round athlete, quickish
That's an interesting statement as everything that I've seen suggests he does use his size effectively, has a good turn of speed & tested in the top handful in the vertical leap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's an interesting statement as everything that I've seen suggests he does use his size effectively, has a good turn of speed & tested in the top handful in the vertical leap.
I've seen some of his footage, didn't see the marking prowess nor the get down & dirty. His shorter kicking stood out for me, rarely missed a target.

I've seen some of his footage, didn't see the marking prowess nor the get down & dirty. His shorter kicking stood out for me, rarely missed a target.
Truth somewhere in the middle.

I think he used his size with trying to break tackles.

But not his size on regular occasions from contest to contest.

There is a high upside with Smillie. But he also needs a lot of work across all aspects.

For example you could say Jaggas craft as a mid would be A Level

FOS ability to hurt you per disposal is similar.

And you could go on about others. Smillie probably doesn’t have that A grade aspect for himself.

But he looks unreal as a physical prospect and does everything else at a decent to good level.

If you backed yourself as a club who can mould and develop talent you would be licking your lips.

Are we that bored that we are now considering Bo Allan over someone like Smillie? Still over 3 weeks until draft night... can't wait for us to go through our Moraes at pick 7 era.
I’m a fan of Allan, but no way would I leave Smillie on the table. Has anyone argued Allan over Smillie?

Truth somewhere in the middle.

I think he used his size with trying to break tackles.

But not his size on regular occasions from contest to contest.

There is a high upside with Smillie. But he also needs a lot of work across all aspects.

For example you could say Jaggas craft as a mid would be A Level

FOS ability to hurt you per disposal is similar.

And you could go on about others. Smillie probably doesn’t have that A grade aspect for himself.

But he looks unreal as a physical prospect and does everything else at a decent to good level.

If you backed yourself as a club who can mould and develop talent you would be licking your lips.
Tom Green has carved us another one? on a few occasions & probably Smillie has similar attributes to he.

Tom Green has carved us another one? on a few occasions & probably Smillie has similar attributes to he.
Tom Green is a good comparison for him. But he was further developed as he was a Giants academy player for a few years before his draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back