2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:

I keep flip flopping on Allan his competitiveness and burst out of stoppage and raw speed is top level but it is all built on his athleticism there is no touch or vision or particularly high skill level. Kind of the opposite to Murphy Reid. Maybe they make a great pair at 7-8. Can imagine Reid's fast hands could really set Allan loose on the burst and Allan could cover for some of Reids defensive limitations.

He can kick ok but typically it is long to the square stuff and his shorter stuff is a bit bog ordinary.

He will be an instant play round 1 player physically he is more than ready for AFL than most because he already competes defensively as well as most AFL players. Maybe he has a Warner like trajectory given the WA development pathways are about the worst in the country certainly has some of that burst our of contest capability that is Warner's trademark.

Isn't Bo Allan a potential flight risk back to WA?
I'd think that would be mitigated by his brother being in Vic (Collingwood) also.

If the draft runs:

Richmond - FOS
NM - Lalor
Carlton - Draper
ADEL - Langford
Melbourne - Smith
Richmond - Smillie

Then would Allen + Tauru be acceptable? Assuming we don't rate Reid.

If North take Tauru then Allen + Smith/Smillie/Langford??

Feels expected at this point. Would be unusual be uncontracted in late October and survive
Reflecting on the disappointment of Van Es and Hotton, it makes you realise how important injuries are at the beginning of a career.

As much as there's been promise from all the 2023 crop (Wilson, Collard, Garcia, Hastie, Arie, McLennan), probably the most important factor is that none of them have had significant injuries.

It's such a brutal industry and you can be gone in an instant.

I keep flip flopping on Allan his competitiveness and burst out of stoppage and raw speed is top level but it is all built on his athleticism there is no touch or vision or particularly high skill level. Kind of the opposite to Murphy Reid. Maybe they make a great pair at 7-8. Can imagine Reid's fast hands could really set Allan loose on the burst and Allan could cover for some of Reids defensive limitations.

He can kick ok but typically it is long to the square stuff and his shorter stuff is a bit bog ordinary.

He will be an instant play round 1 player physically he is more than ready for AFL than most because he already competes defensively as well as most AFL players. Maybe he has a Warner like trajectory given the WA development pathways are about the worst in the country certainly has some of that burst our of contest capability that is Warner's trademark.

Reid is a classy player, but he did get caught red hot with the ball fairly often in the CTL. I wonder if his lack of run from the contest will be exposed at the top level. One thing that concerns me is that a run with player would cruel an effect he has on games.

Inside word is North have a massive hard on for Tauru, hence their keenness to trade down with Richmond. They’ll take him at 6. The top 7 looking very likely to be Tauru, Smith, O’Sullivan, Lalor, Ashcroft, Langford, Draper (in no particular order).
That should leave us with Smilie and Reid at 8&9.
If Smilie goes earlier then it means we probably get one of Langford/Draper to go with Reid.
Melbourne at 6 could throw up a surprise, they apparently really like Reid. If that’s the case then it makes it interesting as I think Langford and Smilie are easily best available at our picks but I don’t think they complement each other very well.
Whichever way it goes we’ll pick best available at 8 and then listen to offers for 9, but any offer would have to be huge to get us to part with it.
We are still shopping our future first really hard, we desperately want another pick in the low/mid teens in this draft.

Inside word is North have a massive hard on for Tauru, hence their keenness to trade down with Richmond. They’ll take him at 6. The top 7 looking very likely to be Tauru, Smith, O’Sullivan, Lalor, Ashcroft, Langford, Draper (in no particular order).
That should leave us with Smilie and Reid at 8&9.
If Smilie goes earlier then it means we probably get one of Langford/Draper to go with Reid.
Melbourne at 6 could throw up a surprise, they apparently really like Reid. If that’s the case then it makes it interesting as I think Langford and Smilie are easily best available at our picks but I don’t think they complement each other very well.
Whichever way it goes we’ll pick best available at 8 and then listen to offers for 9, but any offer would have to be huge to get us to part with it.
We are still shopping our future first really hard, we desperately want another pick in the low/mid teens in this draft.
thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on, saintmike65. I just hope he's there at one of our picks. He may slide a bit because he's from W.A, but trust me, this kid is exactly what we need.

Quick, explosive from the stoppage, another booming left foot to add to our stable. He's a ferocious tackler. He is a Garcia like-type. RTB would love him. I just fear one of the WA teams will grab him.

Spot on, saintmike65. I just hope he's there at one of our picks. He may slide a bit because he's from W.A, but trust me, this kid is exactly what we need.
Quick, explosive from the stoppage, another booming left foot to add to our stable. He's a ferocious tackler. He is a Garcia like-type. RTB would love him. I just fear one of the WA teams will grab him.

If we take Reid then I hope its Smillie + Reid + Allan @ 11 via our F1

Perfect balance of size, ball-winning, class, ball use, kick penetration, speed, and versatility both in F50 and D50

Literally every possible desirable attribute in a mid covered between the 3 aside from maybe elite kicking

I’ve had a look at our list 26 and under by position and quality. I was pretty generous on who will make it. I was surprised how light on we are for talls. King, Hammer, Sharman, Keeler (you could add Shoey as well, but I had him as a HBF).

I have us needing in order 2 quality mids, ruck, key positions tall and maybe 1 small forward.

I’ve had a look at our list 26 and under by position and quality. I was pretty generous on who will make it. I was surprised how light on we are for talls. King, Hammer, Sharman, Keeler (you could add Shoey as well, but I had him as a HBF).

I have us needing in order 2 quality mids, ruck, key positions tall and maybe 1 small forward.
We'll get a KPD whether its Cole or someone else around 47

Hugo Hall-Kahan as Sandy rook makes sense as the small fwd

2 mids should be done in the first round

Ruck is the main issue. Blakiston linked but idk how serious that pursuit is. I'd much rather Knobel who had 50-25 hitouts, 16-13 disposals, and 1.0-0.1 vs Blakiston

Then chuck in Hofmann as a Paton replacement and pick 32 to fill in any remaining holes

If Gerryen or Dodson are available with one of our later picks we should grab one of them and run like thieves.

Both tall, strong, mobile with good skills. Dodson from a basketball background. He was good enough to be offered a scholarship to a USA college. Basketball backgrounds seem to be valued amongst recruiters these days.

Dodson is a classic ruckman, while Gerreyn is more of a forward ruck hybrid, who does both well. I doubt either will go in the first round, but if we acquire a second rounder before the draft we should go for it.

All this Bo Allan talk has me incredibly underwhelmed if it's a pick in the top 10.

Kick 1: didn't hit a target
Kick 2: missed a snap at goal
Kick 3: bombs it long inside 50 from the centre square (we do not need MORE of that)
Kick 4: bombs it long inside 50 from the centre square (you're killing me Bo)
Kick 5: bombs it long inside 50 again and gets over the back to Taberner (ball drop a bit scary)
Kick 6: bombs it to a 2 on 1, not a bad choice (again the ball drop is scaring me)

Multiple loopy handballs that got intercepted as well. Has great pace and hits contests hard. Someone tell me how this isn't just a slightly better/midfield version of Nathan Wright? I'd rather take a player who isn't consistent but whose deficiency isn't ball drop/kicking. Pick 32, sure.

Reid is a classy player, but he did get caught red hot with the ball fairly often in the CTL. I wonder if his lack of run from the contest will be exposed at the top level. One thing that concerns me is that a run with player would cruel an effect he has on games.
Yep, absolute red flag in that aspect. Otherwise he’s superb, but I can’t get past that major concern. With options like Allan, Travaglia or top level talls, I’d rather those at 8 (or small 2-3 pick slide)

If Gerryen or Dodson are available with one of our later picks we should grab one of them and run like thieves.

Both tall, strong, mobile with good skills. Dodson from a basketball background. He was good enough to be offered a scholarship to a USA college. Basketball backgrounds seem to be valued amongst recruiters these days.

Dodson is a classic ruckman, while Gerreyn is more of a forward ruck hybrid, who does both well. I doubt either will go in the first round, but if we acquire a second rounder before the draft we should go for it.
Gerryen has such good movement and skills for a really big fella that I wonder if he’s ever been tried as a CHB.

Are we that bored that we are now considering Bo Allan over someone like Smillie? Still over 3 weeks until draft night... can't wait for us to go through our Moraes at pick 7 era.
As the little girl in the soft/hard taco commercial says. "Can't we do both?"

Smillie and Allan at 7 & 8, if we don't split a pick, would be a fantastic result.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back