2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Inside word is North have a massive hard on for Tauru, hence their keenness to trade down with Richmond. They’ll take him at 6. The top 7 looking very likely to be Tauru, Smith, O’Sullivan, Lalor, Ashcroft, Langford, Draper (in no particular order).
That should leave us with Smilie and Reid at 8&9.
If Smilie goes earlier then it means we probably get one of Langford/Draper to go with Reid.
Melbourne at 6 could throw up a surprise, they apparently really like Reid. If that’s the case then it makes it interesting as I think Langford and Smilie are easily best available at our picks but I don’t think they complement each other very well.
Whichever way it goes we’ll pick best available at 8 and then listen to offers for 9, but any offer would have to be huge to get us to part with it.
We are still shopping our future first really hard, we desperately want another pick in the low/mid teens in this draft.
Any idea who we like so much to target a pick there given the club with it will also be wanting a huge offer?

There is a lot to like about Bo Allen. I think he falls in the same boat as Travaglia. In my opinion they need to become a mid or bust prospects due to foot skills. Travaglia might find a role as a lockdown defend but Bo looks a long way off what afl clubs want in defence.

That being said, Bo looks more mid than Travaglia at this stage. His kicking issues are mix between composure and skill so I think he will improve in this area with more midfield time.

All this Bo Allan talk has me incredibly underwhelmed if it's a pick in the top 10.

Kick 1: didn't hit a target
Kick 2: missed a snap at goal
Kick 3: bombs it long inside 50 from the centre square (we do not need MORE of that)
Kick 4: bombs it long inside 50 from the centre square (you're killing me Bo)
Kick 5: bombs it long inside 50 again and gets over the back to Taberner (ball drop a bit scary)
Kick 6: bombs it to a 2 on 1, not a bad choice (again the ball drop is scaring me)

Multiple loopy handballs that got intercepted as well. Has great pace and hits contests hard. Someone tell me how this isn't just a slightly better/midfield version of Nathan Wright? I'd rather take a player who isn't consistent but whose deficiency isn't ball drop/kicking. Pick 32, sure.

I've not paid him any attention till now but he's got some weapons that would appeal. The 70 meter bombs from centre clearances aren't an issue, in fact thats about the only time it's acceptable. Our problem is bombs to king from slow play after the defence is set up.
Keep in mind there he's playing against grown men too. If he can tidy things up then he's a high upside type with tremendous athletic qualities and not a reach at p8.

Allen is going to go great with Clarke, Philapoo, McRae and Steel
angry how dare you GIF

There is a lot to like about Bo Allen. I think he falls in the same boat as Travaglia. In my opinion they need to become a mid or bust prospects due to foot skills. Travaglia might find a role as a lockdown defend but Bo looks a long way off what afl clubs want in defence.

That being said, Bo looks more mid than Travaglia at this stage. His kicking issues are mix between composure and skill so I think he will improve in this area with more midfield time.
travaglia is a level above allen when it comes to decision making/disposal, allen has him beat for contested ground ball

Yep, absolute red flag in that aspect. Otherwise he’s superb, but I can’t get past that major concern. With options like Allan, Travaglia or top level talls, I’d rather those at 8 (or small 2-3 pick slide)
That's been my beef all along. As a similar type, have a look at how long it's taken Rankine to get going, and as a junior he was orders of magnitude more dominant than Reid. Yes he's very pretty to watch, but that stuff simply does not translate to the big game. GAJ is probably the standout for small, slow, sublimely skilled players but thats a once in 2-3 generation kind of player that is a matter of luck rather than good drafting. Weather any of that is true or not, there's nothing to me that indicates he's the type to get drafted to us. The suggestion of Bo Allan smells about right. Common sense says none of FOS, Lalor, Draper or Smith will drift so it's Langford or Smillie or none. In any of those 3 scenarios, Allan probably lands with us (if the rumor is solid).

That's been my beef all along. As a similar type, have a look at how long it's taken Rankine to get going, and as a junior he was orders of magnitude more dominant than Reid. Yes he's very pretty to watch, but that stuff simply does not translate to the big game. GAJ is probably the standout for small, slow, sublimely skilled players but thats a once in 2-3 generation kind of player that is a matter of luck rather than good drafting. Weather any of that is true or not, there's nothing to me that indicates he's the type to get drafted to us. The suggestion of Bo Allan smells about right. Common sense says none of FOS, Lalor, Draper or Smith will drift so it's Langford or Smillie or none. In any of those 3 scenarios, Allan probably lands with us (if the rumor is solid).
The Sandringham Dragons link I feel like could help Reid's case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've not paid him any attention till now but he's got some weapons that would appeal. The 70 meter bombs from centre clearances aren't an issue, in fact thats about the only time it's acceptable. Our problem is bombs to king from slow play after the defence is set up.
Keep in mind there he's playing against grown men too. If he can tidy things up then he's a high upside type with tremendous athletic qualities and not a reach at p8.

Definite weapons there; athleticism, speed, stoppage work looks good, like you said competing as an underager in the WAFL and already physically up to it. But we've been burnt by these types with promise but lacking footskills before, memories of Luke Dunstan as an underager and Nathan Wright tearing away from packs with the football to just bomb a 60 metre ball down the line.

If we pick him at 7 or 8 over Reid, Smillie, Langford, Smith or Tauru I'll be pretty disappointed. I think there's more "sure things" available.

The reach part is important.

We can still get him - if he is who we want.

By sliding down 3-4 picks.

That is the very important part.

The reach part is important.

We can still get him - if he is who we want.

By sliding down 3-4 picks.

That is the very important part.
I smell pick 8 and F1 for 10 & 11 (or whatever gets put with 10....)

travaglia is a level above allen when it comes to decision making/disposal, allen has him beat for contested ground ball
I agree mate. He just doesn’t look like an elite rebound defender at afl level. He is more Webster than sincs/Nas. Kicking is good enough as a mid, but his contest needs work to be a mid at afl level. He would be a great Webster replacement but a top 10 pick is a high price to pay for a player like that.

Inside word is North have a massive hard on for Tauru, hence their keenness to trade down with Richmond. They’ll take him at 6. The top 7 looking very likely to be Tauru, Smith, O’Sullivan, Lalor, Ashcroft, Langford, Draper (in no particular order).
That should leave us with Smilie and Reid at 8&9.
If Smilie goes earlier then it means we probably get one of Langford/Draper to go with Reid.
Melbourne at 6 could throw up a surprise, they apparently really like Reid. If that’s the case then it makes it interesting as I think Langford and Smilie are easily best available at our picks but I don’t think they complement each other very well.
Whichever way it goes we’ll pick best available at 8 and then listen to offers for 9, but any offer would have to be huge to get us to part with it.
We are still shopping our future first really hard, we desperately want another pick in the low/mid teens in this draft.

Any chance Melbourne drafts Tauru with their first pick?

It could leave them with a mid if North then takes another tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definite weapons there; athleticism, speed, stoppage work looks good, like you said competing as an underager in the WAFL and already physically up to it. But we've been burnt by these types with promise but lacking footskills before, memories of Luke Dunstan as an underager and Nathan Wright tearing away from packs with the football to just bomb a 60 metre ball down the line.

If we pick him at 7 or 8 over Reid, Smillie, Langford, Smith or Tauru I'll be pretty disappointed. I think there's more "sure things" available.
I've just had a look at his rookie me highlights and he can absolutely hit targets by foot. I'm not very worried about that aspect.
Richo/Trout era players aren't worth even thinking about as we had no development and destroyed almost everyone that came through.
Composure at speed seems to be the issue but the fact he's rated around 10ish in this draft says he's no spud. WWRTBD

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back