2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:

If we take Reid then I hope its Smillie + Reid + Allan @ 11 via our F1

Perfect balance of size, ball-winning, class, ball use, kick penetration, speed, and versatility both in F50 and D50

Literally every possible desirable attribute in a mid covered between the 3 aside from maybe elite kicking

That would be incredible.

Not sure we could get the Tigers pick though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we take Allan at 8 it means Murphy Reid Tauru Langford or Armstrong slide out of the top 10 and that seems unlikely.
Maybe so, but if it happens that we don't want any of those players then what does it matter.
Sliding from 8 to 12 is a risky business. The example last year was 1 place when we knew GWS wanted Leake. Anyway like l said, I'm not gonna speculate on that stuff as l have a 100% failure rate. I like player X and don't like player Y is as far as l go these days.

That would be incredible.

Not sure we could get the Tigers pick though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep ... Tiger supporters will tell till they are blue in the face that pick 10 & 11 are going nowhere ..... I think we can forget about swapping a F1 for one of these picks as the Tigers want players now from this year's draft

That's been my beef all along. As a similar type, have a look at how long it's taken Rankine to get going, and as a junior he was orders of magnitude more dominant than Reid. Yes he's very pretty to watch, but that stuff simply does not translate to the big game. GAJ is probably the standout for small, slow, sublimely skilled players but thats a once in 2-3 generation kind of player that is a matter of luck rather than good drafting. Weather any of that is true or not, there's nothing to me that indicates he's the type to get drafted to us. The suggestion of Bo Allan smells about right. Common sense says none of FOS, Lalor, Draper or Smith will drift so it's Langford or Smillie or none. In any of those 3 scenarios, Allan probably lands with us (if the rumor is solid).
And GAJ had that incredible power/balance that is beyond rare. Still had enough wheels but could swivel his hips and shrug tacklers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just had a look at his rookie me highlights and he can absolutely hit targets by foot. I'm not very worried about that aspect.
Richo/Trout era players aren't worth even thinking about as we had no development and destroyed almost everyone that came through.
Composure at speed seems to be the issue but the fact he's rated around 10ish in this draft says he's no spud. WWRTBD
I just looked into him a bit more and looking at Champs and colts highlights he can hit targets with time. Also this WAFL league game earlier in the year playing halfback shows more skill.

I’ve had a look at our list 26 and under by position and quality. I was pretty generous on who will make it. I was surprised how light on we are for talls. King, Hammer, Sharman, Keeler (you could add Shoey as well, but I had him as a HBF).

I have us needing in order 2 quality mids, ruck, key positions tall and maybe 1 small forward.
That is why Tauru is so appealing to me. Got all the athletic traits to be a star and fills a gap within that age group.

I can see why we would be interested in Bo .... plays the game at high speed ..... wins inside ball and can break away from stoppage and lays a great tackle

Good size about him as well and looks like he has thr body type to get bigger and stronger .... there is a bit of Dangerfield about him the way he attacks the ball and player

And like Danger his disposal can be a bit scrappy along with his decision making which also needs some work but both can be improved with experience

But in the cold light of day ..... in terms of inside ball winning bull that has speed .... he is exactly what we need

Bo + a Smillie / Langford / Reid .... I wouldn't be saying no

What gap? 3 of them are 20yo or less.
Caminiti is a fwd. Keeler hasn't played and two years in, we still haven't settled on a position for him. And then Schoenmaker plays like a flanker more than a KPP but even if we include him, the next youngest key back is a youthful 28.

So hardly flush with young KPP stocks down back, especially when our preferred line-up has 3 of them playing.

I agree mate. He just doesn’t look like an elite rebound defender at afl level. He is more Webster than sincs/Nas. Kicking is good enough as a mid, but his contest needs work to be a mid at afl level. He would be a great Webster replacement but a top 10 pick is a high price to pay for a player like that.
I'd probably agree, though again I've only seen a few highlight vids. I think he has a great ceiling though, in the will day mould... but agree his disposal isn't afl rebounder level and probably never will be, especially when we have Nas/Sincs... but if he can become a mid his explosiveness would be huge

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back