2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
About a month ago I asked the question of whether we could afford to grab both Langford and Smillie together. Moorabbin Ghost mentioned the club is considering the same thing.

Here's where I currently sit. We are recruiting for a midfield group, if those 2 are best available then we are crazy to try to even out who we select in the one draft.

A better way of looking at it would be can Langford and Windy play in the same midfield, or Smillie and Henry, or Langford and Wilson etc etc.

I'm still very firmly in the trade up to 2 for FOS or Lalor camp, but I'm guessing that's super unlikely so I'm happy to just take the 2 best and try to move F2 & 32 into the teens.

Whatever the correct order should be, and whoever we end up with - the thought of a couple of take no prisoners, take no shit, no more little “Aints” nice guy effing midfield full of Billings, would be extremely attractive! Id rather 200% competitive wanna win freaks than perfect disposal, but when it really counts are outpointed by a hard edged opponent.

Caminiti is a fwd. Keeler hasn't played and two years in, we still haven't settled on a position for him. And then Schoenmaker plays like a flanker more than a KPP but even if we include him, the next youngest key back is a youthful 28.

So hardly flush with young KPP stocks down back, especially when our preferred line-up has 3 of them playing.
We'll probably get Cole to keep you happy.
2 mids at 7&8 please. Sort the rest out after that.

About a month ago I asked the question of whether we could afford to grab both Langford and Smillie together. Moorabbin Ghost mentioned the club is considering the same thing.

Here's where I currently sit. We are recruiting for a midfield group, if those 2 are best available then we are crazy to try to even out who we select in the one draft.

A better way of looking at it would be can Langford and Windy play in the same midfield, or Smillie and Henry, or Langford and Wilson etc etc.

I'm still very firmly in the trade up to 2 for FOS or Lalor camp, but I'm guessing that's super unlikely so I'm happy to just take the 2 best and try to move F2 & 32 into the teens.
That combo is a bit too much slow for my liking. Since I've jumped on Bo Allen in the last 3 hours I'd like to see Smillie and Allen, and I'd be ok with Langford and Allen which is the more likely prospect IMO but at that point I'm already looking at Allen and Lindsay which l think l like more.

I prefer Reid TBH.
Melbourne might jump on Reid with pick 5 .... but if they don't we could have both

Personally I think Langford won't be available at our pick but who knows .... I would prefer him over Smillie

It's more likely going to a combination of ...... Smillie / Reid / Allen / Travaglia / Lindsay

2 out of Smillie / Reid / Allen or Langford ..... I would sleep soundly

Last edited:
Melbourne might jump on Reid with pick 5 .... but if they don't we could have both

Personally I think Langford won't be available at our pick but who knows .... I would prefer him over Smillie personally

It's more likely going to a combination of ...... Smillie / Reid / Allen / Travaglia / Lindsay

2 out of Smillie / Reid / Allen or Langford ..... I would sleep soundly
Sarcasm never works here. I wouldn't want Reid with a 3rd round pick.
Irrespective of my opinion, 7&8 is a great spot to be and we'll all be pretty happy on draft night. MG says the club is scrabbling for another teens pick which is preferable to burning capital for moving up. Richmond will win the draft obviously, but me might come 2nd if we're lucky.

Aaron Naughton played for Peel, was considered a below average kick (weird style) who could hold his own against mature bodies as an 18 year old. Was taken the pick after our picks when we last had 7/8 together. Same story for Bo Allan? My brain hates parallels...

At least Clark (and Coffield for that matter) are still playing footy. More than the guy taken before our picks.

At the moment we have 7 slots to fill, perhaps Paton, Hayes and Hotton will be offered one year extra. Seems like 10 changes seems like too many.
I think we have 5 slots currently after our commitments to Hall and the Zebs.
Cole and Hofmann plus 4 other picks doesn't fit. We'll also likely want at least 1 spot for a DFA, if not 2. I think they're all gone tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like north are splitting pick 2

Stephenson was taken before Clark and Coffield. Dow also. Not many good players came after. Naughton over rated IMO.

So Picks 3,6,10,11,12,13,14 were all pretty hopeless.. 7 of the top 12 when excluding Clarke and Coff.
Maybe Darcy Fogerty is ok , so maybe 6 of 12...

So that top 14 includes:
Dow, Stephenson, Clarke, Coff, Obrien, Bonar, Foggerty, Brander Ling

Clarke was certainly not the worst choice .. some later picks obviously doing ok but that is always the case, and those ones are low probability

I certainly hope this years draft is stronger in the top 10 and that we get 2 guns

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back