List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m in the minority here - but I think the right to match is enough.

I’d be comfortable with all points discounting being removed.

Yes, yes I know - father son, go-home factor, the AFL is still the VFL etc etc.

But NSW has the country’s biggest population & QLD the third. A time is coming when the northern academies are pumping out more talent than WA & SA.
That's not yet. Could be another 20 years before that happens

But NSW has the country’s biggest population & QLD the third. A time is coming when the northern academies are pumping out more talent than WA & SA.

Even bigger reason for the Vic clubs to whinge... while having their hands out for a compo pick. So, no different really

Yes NSW and Qld could POTENTIALLY produce more players than WA & SA, but the big difference now and as far as I can see will always be, that kids in the Eastern states aren't as exposed to AFL anywhere near the amount they are exposed to rugby league.
Unless they're parents are rusted on fans or come from Victoria, they will more likely play league.
For every Heeney or Gulden, there would be ten kids that would choose league.

Yes NSW and Qld could POTENTIALLY produce more players than WA & SA, but the big difference now and as far as I can see will always be, that kids in the Eastern states aren't as exposed to AFL anywhere near the amount they are exposed to rugby league.
Unless they're parents are rusted on fans or come from Victoria, they will more likely play league.
It is fair to say that in QLD, AFL does get a decent following and grass roots participation these days. But still not enough to stand on its own two feet.

I think it comes back to the draft. In the 2020s decade so far, the traditional footy states - Vic, SA, WA - account for 228 of the players taken in the national draft. The Northern states - ACT, NSW, QLD - account for 13. This supposedly during the era where academies have gotten so out of control ??

That discrepancy is the heart of the issue for mine, because it creates a league where the overwhelming majority of players are from three states. This has had a clear and very undeniable impact on the integrity of the competition, as the trade period has become overwhelmingly favourable to the teams from those states, and countless sides have won premierships built on players they've raided from other clubs using their home-state advantage.

So politely, the AFL can **** right off.

Actually, junior league and rugby numbers have fallen fairly sharply. There’s a few reasons - but the physical dominance of the Polynesian kids in the teenage years is one. As is the increasing number of migrants from backgrounds dominated by soccer.

Kids are being lost to soccer and basketball.

League can’t continue to be used as justification for the academy discounting system.

I’m a believer in the academies.
And the right to match bids for academy products.

But the Gold Coast situation in last year’s draft lent weight to the argument to ditch the discounts.

I think it comes back to the draft. In the 2020s decade so far, the traditional footy states - Vic, SA, WA - account for 228 of the players taken in the national draft. The Northern states - ACT, NSW, QLD - account for 13. This supposedly during the era where academies have gotten so out of control ??

That discrepancy is the heart of the issue for mine, because it creates a league where the overwhelming majority of players are from three states. This has had a clear and very undeniable impact on the integrity of the competition, as the trade period has become overwhelmingly favourable to the teams from those states, and countless sides have won premierships built on players they've raided from other clubs using their home-state advantage.

So politely, the AFL can **** right off.

Its so dumb they dont get it.

Imagine if the SA/WA get their own academy and have priority the comparison in talent that would be available to them is utterly mindboggling they would win multiple flags within 5 years.

Actually, junior league and rugby numbers have fallen fairly sharply. There’s a few reasons - but the physical dominance of the Polynesian kids in the teenage years is one. As is the increasing number of migrants from backgrounds dominated by soccer.

League can’t continue to be used as justification for the academy discounting system.

But the Gold Coast situation in last year’s draft lent weight to the argument to ditch the discounts.
Yes, I understand what you are saying, but my response was to the part in your original post saying "A time is coming when the northern academies are pumping out more talent than WA & SA". I do not believe that is going to happen any time soon and I only cited league as - whether we like it or not, it is the northern states most popular sport and kids are no where near as exposed to AFL as they are to NRL.

It was my understanding that you were basically saying that simply because of population dispersion, NSW and Qld will eventually produce more players than WA and SA, but in those states AFL rules supreme, not so much in the northern states, no matter how much grass roots is growing.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but my response was to the part in your original post saying "A time is coming when the northern academies are pumping out more talent than WA & SA". I do not believe that is going to happen any time soon and I only cited league as - whether we like it or not, it is the northern states most popular sport and kids are no where near as exposed to AFL as they are to NRL.

It was my understanding that you were basically saying that simply because of population dispersion, NSW and Qld will eventually produce more players than WA and SA, but in those states AFL rules supreme, not so much in the northern states, no matter how much grass roots is growing.
In the 2023 draft, the Gold Coast academy produced 3 top 20 draftees.

WA produced 2.

SA produced 1.

Yes, 2023 was a bit of an outlier - but if you add the QLD and NSW academies together, they’re gradually drawing closer to the SA and WA state’s output year-on-year.

I can’t argue the fact that league still dominates the press coverage in NSW and QLD. And lots of people follow the rugby codes. But the press coverage of AFL is deliberately limited in those states for vested business reasons & hides the progress AFL is making.

I know advocating the abolition of the points discount ain’t popular here. But I actually think we’ve reached a stage in the development of the game nationally where it’d be reasonable to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the 2023 draft, the Gold Coast academy produced 3 top 20 draftees.

WA produced 2.

SA produced 1.

Yes, 2023 was a bit of an outlier - but if you add the QLD and NSW academies together, they’re gradually drawing closer to the SA and WA state’s output year-on-year.

I can’t argue the fact that league still dominates the press coverage in NSW and QLD. And lots of people follow the rugby codes. But the press coverage of AFL is deliberately limited in those states for vested business reasons & hides the progress AFL is making.

I know advocating the abolition of the points discount ain’t popular here. But I actually think we’ve reached a stage in the development of the game nationally where it’d be reasonable to do iso.

The GoCo has their first draft and trade period where they did not get pillaged by Melbourne and/or SA Clubs too inept to draft and develop their own. Those Clubs have totally lost the run of themselves and squealed like stuck pigs.

North forgot they had an Academy after icing it during Covid. They remembered when they wanted access to Sanders despite not investing in him whatsoever.

Unhappily we will roll over as we always will on issues that require governance independent of the AFL.

This... nailed it Jewelsbon, except perhaps I would say (at the lowest) 1/50. Soccer, T-ball, League, Union, Swimming, Surfing are all much, much, much bigger in NSW...

I would absolutely like to see those numbers and their source... while they may well have fallen, they will still be significantly higher than AFL. I totally agree that soccer & basket ball (especially soccer) runs a very close second to league, taking more kids as a non-contact sport every year.

But the Gold Coast situation in last year’s draft lent weight to the argument to ditch the discount
GC is unlikely to be in that situation again... their time as bottom dwellers is coming to end. They've only been in the system 12 years, and no-one complained about father/son rights then, with the Vic teams always getting first rights to the cream of the crop.

Changing the draft is all about Tassie coming in, and the availability of players. I gut it, but it still sucks large imo...

I would absolutely like to see those numbers and their source... while they may well have fallen, they will still be significantly higher than AFL. I totally agree that soccer & basket ball (especially soccer) runs a very close second to league, taking more kids as a non-contact sport every year.

GC is unlikely to be in that situation again... their time as bottom dwellers is coming to end. They've only been in the system 12 years, and no-one complained about father/son rights then, with the Vic teams always getting first rights to the cream of the crop.

Changing the draft is all about Tassie coming in, and the availability of players. I gut it, but it still sucks large imo...
The belief that soccer and basketball “run second to league” is a myth.

It would have been more helpful if they had broken those figures down to a state level. Interesting reading, though.

Rugby league is often seen as the most popular sport in Australia – the football of Australia.”

🤣 🤣

By who and what metric?

Rugby league is often seen as the most popular sport in Australia – the football of Australia.”

By who and what metric?
Coming from SA I only know enough about Rugby League to know that the Wallabies rarely beat the All Blacks. Ridiculous trying to ram this nonsense through the media.

That's Rugby Union, not League.
Yeah it was a joke e.g. this is how little I know.

I do know a couple of things, but the broad point is we (mostly) don't care about rugby of any sort here in SA. Anyone painting League or Union as the national game is off the mark.

Last edited:

🤣 🤣

By who and what metric?
If youre in NSW & only read the SMH or Daily Telegraph, you’d be led to believe that the NRL is the dominant sporting organisation in Australia.

The back 2-3 pages tend to be all NRL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back