• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Might’ve been a terrible draft but we had a free hit at one of the best out of it and chose to overlook him for some inexplicable reason

Also we got Grundy for junk picks, the trade would’ve proceeded regardless, we just would’ve used other junkier picks
Every club using Harry Hindsight intelligence would say they are guilty. Some more than others. I expect we would be guilty as charged and so would every club.
Richmond passed up Buddy. Every club has stuffed up. Picking 18 year olds on school footy form does that.

We flubbed that draft. Pure and simple. No need to keep excusing the club for it.
I come back on here and read a few posts.. people are still criticising the Swans drafting. Sh*ts me to tears!

It may be a good time to remind all the Swans 'supporters'? that over the last few years, I have heard countless times (and from the AFL / Vic media!) that The Swans have the best young list in the comp
Our drafting cant be too bad? especially considering we generally have lesser picks - because our drafted players keep taking us to finals, or is that Horses fault?

I come back on here and read a few posts.. people are still criticising the Swans drafting. Sh*ts me to tears!

It may be a good time to remind all the Swans 'supporters'? that over the last few years, I have heard countless times (and from the AFL / Vic media!) that The Swans have the best young list in the comp
Our drafting cant be too bad? especially considering we generally have lesser picks - because our drafted players keep taking us to finals, or is that Horses fault?

A lot of drafting is decided for us when it's Academy picks

A lot of drafting is decided for us when it's Academy picks
most of the drafting is decided after the draft when the 'kids' get developed.
I reckon a big part of the draftees 'failing' over the last few years,, is due to them not getting senior games,, due to the b22 being stacked with youth (ie. draftees from the previous few years)
I was stoked with last years draft,, as the ruck and tall defender wouldn't expect to play for 2-3 years at best.

Very interested in who gets drafted this year.. Talls? midfield depth? small forward? athletes?
Wont be putting any money on it, as Ive no idea

We also seem to go in waves (planned or unplanned????)
We have a few years of successful draftees then a few without. Maybe this comes down to the development opportunities available? eg.. I reckon JMac and Rowbottom were drafted at a good time, but prob would've struggled to get a game if drafted in 2021/22
2023 - looks like a good draft (we'll see in a few years)
2024 - Academy tall defender + 3 decent picks (not good picks, but decent)
2025 - Academy looks promising.. and our draft hand might improve with young guys leaving eg Warner, Sheldrick.. who knows?

but to develop those three years together could go a long way
Maybe Im thinking too deeply about it?

Nop
We also seem to go in waves (planned or unplanned????)
We have a few years of successful draftees then a few without. Maybe this comes down to the development opportunities available? eg.. I reckon JMac and Rowbottom were drafted at a good time, but prob would've struggled to get a game if drafted in 2021/22
2023 - looks like a good draft (we'll see in a few years)
2024 - Academy tall defender + 3 decent picks (not good picks, but decent)
2025 - Academy looks promising.. and our draft hand might improve with young guys leaving eg Warner, Sheldrick.. who knows?

but to develop those three years together could go a long way
Maybe Im thinking too deeply about it?
Nope. Not too deeply. Lots have said we mucked up not picking Serong. They might be right but then again with what was in front of him he might have stagnated and not developed at all. A lot of this stuff is down to circumstances.

Yeah, I mean I'm allowed to criticise particular drafting. Just like I was happy with the Green selection last year, and while I was after talls at the time, I can't fault the Roberts and Sheldrick selections a year prior to the 2022 draft I was referring to.

But thank you, I appreciate the feedback from a 'supporter' such as yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back