• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephens was ranked in the top 7-10 prior to the draft was hardly a reach at all. Stephens best games as a junior were as an inside he actually was drafted as an inside/out midfielder. Wasn’t as if it was Ling who was ranked 60’s and we took him first round. Was
Ling ranked 60s. Lol.

Twomey's last rankings had him at 21, phantom draft at 23. Fox had him at 22. Think there was one at the time mentioning him late teens.

Last edited:
Stephens was in most Top 10s. Was mentioned at 5 or 6 as potential picks in some.

He'd played senior SANFL games and performed well.

No idea how people come up with some of this stuff.

Yep easily in the top 10 pretty much all season, 5 was hardly some stretch. It didn’t work out but we didn’t draft some dud based on the rankings

Ling ranked 60s. Lol.

Twomey's last rankings had him at 21, phantom draft at 23. Fox had him at 22. Think there was one st the time mentioning him late teens.

He was a complete bolter, those are the selections I hate and it’s not that we took him it was that we could have traded down and done the same thing. I’ve said that for a while, draft who you want but if you are taking a bolter trade down grab an extra pick.

He was a complete bolter, those are the selections I hate and it’s not that we took him it was that we could have traded down and done the same thing. I’ve said that for a while, draft who you want but if you are taking a bolter trade down grab an extra pick.
He wasn't a bolter. He'd been around the same mark in earlier rankings.

Maybe no-one wanted to trade, or like Sheldrick, a bigger "reach", we'd heard someone else was taking him.

We have this discussion every year. Can people get over their misconceptions please.

Ling ranked 60s. Lol.

Twomey's last rankings had him at 21, phantom draft at 23. Fox had him at 22. Think there was one at the time mentioning him late teens.

He was also ranked outside of the top 30 in some PDs, please don’t make out that Ling was a concensis top 20 selection because he wasn’t

Picking him at 14 was a reach when there were other better credentialed players with more potential available at that selection

He was also ranked outside of the top 30 in some PDs, please don’t make out that Ling was a concensis top 20 selection because he wasn’t

Picking him at 14 was a reach when there were other better credentialed players with more potential available at that selection

The next four selections make very ugly reading not to mention Oscar Allen

Some of the rankings and phantoms had Stoddart in the 20s. I'm just making the point that he was highly rated by some of the more reputable ones.

I'm a needs based drafting advocate, except when rebuilding extensively, so I have no problem if we saw him as the best of his type.

Comments about having less potential or him being a dud are unsubstantiated given the fact none of us will ever know, due to the run of injuries cruelling some of his biggest strengths and development.

But I do love having this conversation every single year.

Interesting looking back at the 2017 draft. There were also a lot of 1st round misses that were consensus top 20 ranked players. 3 Dow, 6 Stephenson 7 Clark 8 Coffield 11 O'Brien 12 Bonar 13 Brander. So there was no guarantee taking a consensus top 20 ranked player would have worked out.

And even looking at some of the 2nd round success stories like 24 Tim Kelly 25 Noah Balta 26 Liam Ryan 27 Brent Daniels 28 Sam Taylor 30 De Koning 31 Bayley Fritsch. None of them were in Twomey's top 30. So it would have been considered a reach at the time if we had used our 1st pick on them. Even though a lot of them ended up being top players. And all of them were gone before our 2nd pick.

What i said was that KB interviewed a kid from my club and told him we will only use 3 picks and at best 4 . I can go back a few weeks and find it if you like . Anymore info im happy to provide , always good to talk with you
Go for it. There have been people on this board saying unless there were unexpected cuts, we would be taking the minimum at the draft for a months.

Felt the stuff up was picking Stephens more than not picking Serong. A skinny framed flanker type who was rank 40, in no one’s Top 10 or even 20, we pick at 5.
Stephens was almost consensus top 10 and his stocks rose on the back of playing in the SANFL reserves as an inside mid.

On reflection yes lots of positive feedback at the time.

No one had him Top 5 tho did they ? Had a look he was 9th or 10th or so in the phantom.
Perhaps not, but that isn't the same as "A skinny framed flanker type who was rank 40, in no one’s Top 10 or even 20, we pick at 5."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps not, but that isn't the same as "A skinny framed flanker type who was rank 40, in no one’s Top 10 or even 20, we pick at 5."
That’s fair. Stand by that it was a crap pick and was WTFing on draft night. Why pick a 10 rank when you have 5 ? Esp a skinny flanker type. Reality is a fair chance he would have gone about 20 on the night. Massive overs.

The most baffling thing about the Stephens vs Serong discourse is that HAYDEN YOUNG WAS RIGHT THERE

Is anyone aware of a draft ranking that uses absolute scores for players (eg. score out of ten)?

I hear a lot about one draft being better than another, or say this draft having an even top five or so, then the next fifteen or so also fairly even, then a drop off.

I’d be curious if there was a draft ranking system that had absolute score, but specially if it has been used over several years - as you could then see how those scores matched up the reality.

That’s fair. Stand by that it was a crap pick and was WTFing on draft night. Why pick a 10 rank when you have 5 ? Esp a skinny flanker type. Reality is a fair chance he would have gone about 20 on the night. Massive overs.
Why keep doubling down? He wasn't going at 20, he wasn't just a "skinny flanker type". He'd played midfield, that was where he was looking likely to end up, and played a stack of senior SANFL games for Norwood in his draft year.

I wanted Serong, but don't know why people feel like they need to make stuff up.

Skinny flanker types don't usually perform well as inside midfielders in the SANFL.

Look, our recruiters have made some whiffs. Not a huge amount when you look at what they had to work with, but we can acknowledge that without making stuff up to make it look worse. What's the point?

The most baffling thing about the Stephens vs Serong discourse is that HAYDEN YOUNG WAS RIGHT THERE
I actually recall a fair few on here being against him because he was the half bank flanker type everyone was scared of. Same with Flanders and Ash if I recall correctly.

In one of the rare cases everyone wasn't a hindsight hero on drafting, I think most of this board were pretty hot on Serong.

I actually recall a fair few on here being against him because he was the half bank flanker type everyone was scared of. Same with Flanders and Ash if I recall correctly.

In one of the rare cases everyone wasn't a hindsight hero on drafting, I think most of this board were pretty hot on Serong.
I think Young and Serong are on different levels as players. I thought it at the time of drafting and it's now starting to eventuate. It's just amusing that people keep fixating on us not picking Serong, when we also didn't pick Young and he is even better.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back