Player Watch 2024 Father-Son player watch - Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

It took Jay Schulz almost 10 years tbf.
If we are casting the net outside Coleman Medal winners to goal kicking spearheads (which makes sense) I’d also throw up Barry Hall and Daniel Bradshaw as guys who took 4 years to find their niche.

Both sent to the twos for a few spells and not a walk up senior start until they clicked around age 22.

If we are casting the net outside Coleman Medal winners to goal kicking spearheads (which makes sense) I’d also throw up Barry Hall and Daniel Bradshaw as guys who took 4 years to find their niche.

Both sent to the twos for a few spells and not a walk up senior start until they clicked around age 22.
I think it's only fair considering Richo kicked 800 without a Coleman, actually more players in the top 20 all time goal kickers without a Coleman than you'd expect. Richo, Sav Rocca, Hall, Sticks Kernahan, Wayne Carey.

I like the look of Ky. He moves extremely well, and let's face it, few have the skills of his dad.

Worth bringing over to BH for some development.
15 disposals for a shutdown defender is not awful, and given his athleticism and pedigree I think there's some upside we could unlock.
Any of Shaun’s offspring should be drafted, they are football equivalent of elite race horse pedigree , grandfather a football legend, auntie is a freak, father say no more, it’s not worth the risk to overlook.

Can I ask has anyone seen Kobe Williams play who is in the dogs NGA and father son for next year is he a marking forward like Mark or a forward like Gini, MacDonald and we could add to our mosquito fleet in 2026 that we could get under father son.

Can I ask has anyone seen Kobe Williams play who is in the dogs NGA and father son for next year is he a marking forward like Mark or a forward like Gini, MacDonald and we could add to our mosquito fleet in 2026 that we could get under father son.
Will be keen to watch a few of his games next year at the Jets I assume.

He is very much like his dad, lead, mark, goal type, he even has his dads running style, might be draft worthy, we will have to see...

He is very much like his dad, lead, mark, goal type, he even has his dads running style, might be draft worthy, we will have to see...
Does he have enough tricks for AFL, Davo-27? I loved watching his dad play, but often have found myself wondering whether that style of forward would be as succesful against the zone. There's a few - Mihoceck, the guy at Melbourne, etc. What's your thought?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what a skinny Burgoyne did to us on Friday night I would.
Interestingly Jase Burgoyne’s older brother Trent was taken in 2019, then delisted after playing 0 AFL games in 2 seasons at Port.

A classic example of a F/S selection who wasn’t quite up to the level.

Interestingly Jase Burgoyne’s older brother Trent was taken in 2019, then delisted after playing 0 AFL games in 2 seasons at Port.

A classic example of a F/S selection who wasn’t quite up to the level.
And the same may still end up happening with Jase. Seen it time and time again with players having what looks to be a breakout game then fading away into obscurity and eventual delisting.

We should know we've done it for quite a few players over the years. Ben Ronke say's hi.

Does he have enough tricks for AFL, Davo-27? I loved watching his dad play, but often have found myself wondering whether that style of forward would be as succesful against the zone. There's a few - Mihoceck, the guy at Melbourne, etc. What's your thought?
I'm just going to wait for next year and see if he performs or not, leading small forwards like Breust still exist and they'll make it if good enough.

Ned Maginness is 19, he was passed over last year and no interest in MSD, he hasn't had a great season, I doubt he gets picked up

Ky Burgoyne started the season in decent form with 3x 20 disposal games in the sanfl u18s, but then went back to 10-15 disposal games, played 2 senior games for 10 and 5 disposals, didn't make a weak SA Champs team, doesn't seem to have the most athletic build, unlikely imo

Last edited:
I'm just going to wait for next year and see if he performs or not, leading small forwards like Breust still exist and they'll make it if good enough.

Ned Maginness is 19, he was passed over last year and no interest in MSD, he hasn't had a great season, I doubt he gets picked up

Ky Burgoyne started the season in decent form with 3x 20 disposal games in the sanfl u18s, but then went back to 10-15 disposal games, played 2 senior games for 10 and 5 disposals, didn't make a weak SA Champs team, doesn't seem to have the most athletic build, unlikely imo
As I understand it, we couldn't have drafted Ned Maginness in the MSD as he wasn't eligible (didn't nominate for the 2023 National Draft so he could preserve F/S access for his overage season this year).

And the same may still end up happening with Jase. Seen it time and time again with players having what looks to be a breakout game then fading away into obscurity and eventual delisting.

We should know we've done it for quite a few players over the years. Ben Ronke say's hi.
Nah, Ben Ronke didn't do anything brilliant he was just on the end of a lot of goals. Jase Burgoyne stood up in a final and showed amazing composure and skill.

I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't become a solid career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2024 Father-Son player watch - Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back