Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope teams try to copy the lions style. They move the ball in a controlled manner from the back half. Teams won’t be challenging us with much fast ball movement.

Just need to match Brisbane in contests around the ground and they can’t move the ball at all because of how slow they move it.

I actually think not many teams play like Brisbane. They vary the way they decide to attack and the most similar I can see is really StKilda. They just don’t possess the same attacking weapons Brisbane have.

and Dane Rampe.

I couldn't have been more unimpressed with his media work this past week.
Easy in hindsight but the Swans seemed a bit edgy ( maybe nervous ) while the Lions were very relaxed and at ease .

The presser with both Fagan and Longmire really stood out imo .

The other code is still playing finals, so I thought maybe it was worth posting in here. A mate of mine is a Penrith supporter, so I watched the NRL prelims this weekend. Melbourne sold out their game, but the two Sydney teams couldn't even get 60% stadium capacity.

WTF?!?! to a prelim! Maybe Robbo was right about this.

Anyway, back to footy, happy with the result yesterday, would have preferred a contest, but Fagan deserves success. The talent available to Brisbane and their culture is a worry. They'll be a tough proposition come finals in the coming years.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

The other code is still playing finals, so I thought maybe it was worth posting in here. A mate of mine is a Penrith supporter, so I watched the NRL prelims this weekend. Melbourne sold out their game, but the two Sydney teams couldn't even get 60% stadium capacity.

WTF?!?! to a prelim! Maybe Robbo was right about this.

Anyway, back to footy, happy with the result yesterday, would have preferred a contest, but Fagan deserves success. The talent available to Brisbane and their culture is a worry. They'll be a tough proposition come finals in the coming years.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
As a Victorian who moved to Qld over 20 yrs ago ( QLD doesn’t have the low crowd number issues of NSW) the argument for the massive difference in crowd numbers between the two codes is and always has been that rugby league is better to watch on T.V as the action all happens in the space of the cameras view, whereas Aussie rules is a true all ground game where you only get a true view of the games workings from live at the ground. When I would let them know that the Storm often sell out games in Melbourne, so it just cant be as simple as the T.V example the usual response would be that “ but that’s Melbourne folk for ya. Call it sport and they’ll always turn up”

Swans last appearance at the G was Rnd 7 against us.
Lions only last week.
There’s a lot to be said about that
Yep it’s a good stat. Sydney don’t play the mcg well but hardly got a chance to adapt. Brisbane got a trial run vs cats to adapt game style. It’s the curse of the non-vic teams - rack up wins during season then exposed at MCG when it matters.

So lions would only beat sydney by 30 at the SCG?

Edit. Last lions game at scg 2022 won by 24. Over two years ago

The discussion about ‘don’t play often at MCG is even worse at some other grounds

Sydney 2016 had same number of games in season at MCG at bulldogs

Last edited:
I hate this bullshit attitude.

All professional pundits get asked for predictions and nobody ever gets it 100%.

Kingy, like all others, will give an opinion based on whatever criteria he thinks is important in that individual match up.

Kingy the player was an absolute ****knuckle, but he is very good as a pundit. The way he interprets and articulates information is respected and copied throughout the industry.

Who cares that he gets some of the predictions wrong, or that we disagree with them.
Nice try David

$wans by 68 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were thumped in the tough stuff. Dominated in contested footy and clearances and their tackling was poor. It was a lamentable grand final performance.

I thought Neale was bog. Just dominated from the source all day. Very similar to what Mitchell did to them in 2014. Longmire doesn’t learn

Neale is definitely the cleanest player since Mitchell. They just swoop in - one grab the ball - and either slip a quick handball to a teammate, or put on an evasive maneuver and then dispose of it effectively. Everyone raves about the power midfielders who can burst from stoppage, but you simply MUST stop players like Mitchell and Neale in big games.

Longmire is indeed slow on the uptake.

I also make that 3 GFs now (14, 22, 24) that Sydney have invited the opposition to play their A game.

The Hawthorn, Geelong and Brisbane sides have 1 thing in common - their A game being to control the football and chisel kick / mark the opposition into oblivion. Sydney like to sag off - win it back deep (or early through a clanger) - and then go at speed into an open forward line. Works great at the SCG in the home and away, but not so good at the MCG against very good teams that feel most comfortable playing that way.

Yesterday they backed off right from early in the first quarter (and were flattered early by a couple of goals gifted by nervy Brisbane stuff ups). I kept expecting Sydney to adjust and start pressing up the field to limit space, but no. No adjustment, for the whole game. Unbelievable.

Its especially bad IMO because a Brisbane side that had played an extra final and had such a grueling run would have been vulnerable to a more open, attacking, chaotic game. But they were never tested physically. And a Sydney midfield that has some serious speed and power was never given the chance to use this advantage against a pretty one-paced Brisbane midfield.

It's hard to say if the Hawks would have beaten Brisbane yesterday, but I expect the game would have been super competitive and a thousand times more exciting to watch. And I was going for Brisbane.

Can the media stop this ridiculous “Swans are a powerhouse” shit now?

2 Premierships in over 90 years is the complete opposite of powerhouse.
To be fair, they are very good at staying in the upper half of the ladder. They are always thereabouts.

They will become irrelevant if they don’t.

Yep it’s a good stat. Sydney don’t play the mcg well but hardly got a chance to adapt. Brisbane got a trial run vs cats to adapt game style. It’s the curse of the non-vic teams - rack up wins during season then exposed at MCG when it matters.
And that's why I'm not convinced that it's a clear cut advantage to get a home game in the finals when it's not at the MCG. Yes, it's a short-term advantage but if the main game is at the G, you really want to get as much experience as you can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back