Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Could the afl simply make the change this year but any pick swaps done last year retain the original value?
I think they should make the change but only for academy. Father son can stay as is till next year.

Academy needs to be urgently reeled in and then shit canned. All clubs need to be playing be the same rules, even if it's a bit biased.

Could the afl simply make the change this year but any pick swaps done last year retain the original value?
Makes the most sense.

So little chance the AFL do that.

so Richmond are complaining because they now have a bunch of 3rd rounders?

Who cares? Play on. It’s not as if they made assumptions with valuable first or early second round picks.

Are you serious? Everyone should care. What's to stop the AFL introducing some new rule, without any notice, that will negatively affect us in the future? It's absolutely amateur.

Are you serious? Everyone should care. What's to stop the AFL introducing some new rule, without any notice, that will negatively affect us in the future? It's absolutely amateur.
AFL love to play it fast and loose with the draft. Honestly just making it up when it comes to free agency compensation and priority pick packages.

I think they should make the change but only for academy. Father son can stay as is till next year.

Academy needs to be urgently reeled in and then shit canned. All clubs need to be playing be the same rules, even if it's a bit biased.
Father son is hardly fair on clubs. Gold Coast and GWS won’t get one for years. Reckon they should just make it a pure draft but won’t happen. I’d be satisfied if the top 10 or the first round were untouchable though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Father son is hardly fair on clubs. Gold Coast and GWS won’t get one for years. Reckon they should just make it a pure draft but won’t happen. I’d be satisfied if the top 10 or the first round were untouchable though.
Suns and GWS have gotten more value from the academy than pretty much all the other clubs have from father sons combined since they’ve been in the comp.

They can’t claim they’ve been hard done by.

Suns and GWS have gotten more value from the academy than pretty much all the other clubs have from father sons combined since they’ve been in the comp.

They can’t claim they’ve been hard done by.
Ageee but scrapping it and keeping father son wouldn’t be objectively fair.

Ageee but scrapping it and keeping father son wouldn’t be objectively fair.
It won’t be scrapped. It will just be made harder for them to get as many first round talents in as they have been

Any truth to them actually doing this or just a funny running joke?

It is difficult to prove. Even if the AFL did investigate, which is highly unlikely, they would manage to find nothing.

So I know of no hard evidence or proof, but there is an awful lot of smoke. From a wide variety of sources.

It is difficult to prove. Even if the AFL did investigate, which is highly unlikely, they would manage to find nothing.

So I know of no hard evidence or proof, but there is an awful lot of smoke. From a wide variety of sources.
I think you'll find every club (including us) does it in some form. The Geelong thing only started because Bomber owned part of the Armstrong Creek land.

I don’t believe the narrative that clubs weren’t notified. Call me naive, but I think it’s been well known this was coming for a while.
It's been known that these changes specifically have been coming for a while? Not a single media pundit or club official can give an answer on the exact changes, but the clubs were notified as far back as last off season? C'mon. What part of your experience with the AFL makes you think they're competent enough to give the benefit of the doubt?

It's been known that these changes specifically have been coming for a while? Not a single media pundit or club official can give an answer on the exact changes, but the clubs were notified as far back as last off season? C'mon. What part of your experience with the AFL makes you think they're competent enough to give the benefit of the doubt?

It’s a fair point. But the league is run by self interest and I’m sure the loudest noises we’re hearing now are those with the most to lose (and vice versa).

Part of me thinks the way the AFL can get the “kill the academy advantage” re across the line, while appeasing the impacted northern states, is by showing they’ll also disadvantage two “big” Vic clubs in the process, in Richmond and Carlton.

It’s a fair point. But the league is run by self interest and I’m sure the loudest noises we’re hearing now are those with the most to lose (and vice versa).

Part of me thinks the way the AFL can get the “kill the academy advantage” re across the line, while appeasing the impacted northern states, is by showing they’ll also disadvantage two “big” Vic clubs in the process, in Richmond and Carlton.
As with most conspiracies I just don't think the party involved is smart enough to hatch this sort of scheme. The AFL is 1:1 administrator to journalist so word would have gotten out.

I don’t believe the narrative that clubs weren’t notified. Call me naive, but I think it’s been well known this was coming for a while.
Clubs definitely had some idea of what was and wasn’t a chance of getting up, but until that actually comes to pass it means nothing.

As for last year, I do t think clubs had much of an idea that changes would be coming before the trade period of 2024.

play2win ’s post from earlier makes the most sense. Bring the changes in, but hold the points value for any picks traded for in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back