Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He took a risk, and it looks like it isn't going to pay off. He should wear the consequences.
I always take the perspective of "Would this annoy me if it happened to the Hawks?" In this case I'd be livid.

Insane to just roll out changes that you've started planning mid-season and not make any plans for how the transition might work. It ain't the actions of a well run organisation.

StKilda is pushing hard against this. They have Spida Everett's kid coming though and are fighting to keep him from I think Gold Coast Academy.
We should be pushing hard too.

Fortunately Lethlean seems to be making progress by calling in a few favours with some old mates at AFL house.

AFL commission isn’t a serious sporting organisation they prove it every day. You have to apply the free speech argument for those delighting in it screwing Richmond and Carlton. It’s either ok or it’s not regardless of who is impacted and this clearly is not. Change is needed. Align the changes with the clubs and institute a year out so clubs can adjust. You cannot penalise for working to the existing rules. Imagine if that’s how the criminal justice system worked?

The pool of points is far better as bidding allows rating players at fair value within and across drafts. Harley Reid worth far more than Josh Smillie for example. except how do you manage future points trading? I think you would need to remove it and clubs want more not less flexibility.
In the crap DVI system no discount 2 picks to match are the obvious quick wins that make things immediately much fairer and simpler. So it’s the AFL absolutely no chance of happening.

AFL commission isn’t a serious sporting organisation they prove it every day. You have to apply the free speech argument for those delighting in it screwing Richmond and Carlton. It’s either ok or it’s not regardless of who is impacted and this clearly is not. Change is needed. Align the changes with the clubs and institute a year out so clubs can adjust. You cannot penalise for working to the existing rules. Imagine if that’s how the criminal justice system worked?
People need to realise that it is possible to delight in the misfortune of other clubs and simultaneously think they've been hard done by an amateur AFL administration.

I thought North were hard done by with those late umpiring calls that probably cost them the game last week. Doesn't mean I couldn't enjoy it too.

What exactly are the proposed changes?
That's the other joke, there isn't even a reliable list. The most likely one and the one that affects Richmond a tonne is to remove points from picks outside the top 40.

That's the other joke, there isn't even a reliable list. The most likely one and the one that affects Richmond a tonne is to remove points from picks outside the top 40.
Yeah so far its all complete speculation from the media as to the changes. If this was almost any other sport around the world we could feel good that its going to be close to the pin as the people reporting on it have ins with clubs and agents and people who would know and report accurately...in the AFL though the media seem to be driven more by clicks and hot takes and what would drive story numbers so who actually knows

I have no problem with a father son going at pick one or an academy kid going in the first round. The problem I have always had is when a club has multiple academy kids in the same round, they should only have the ability to match one of them in each round.

None of this GC bullshit of being able to match 3 academy kids in the first round.

FS should stay the same except for no points reduction, clubs should have to pay full price. You'll find most clubs will do that anyway.
Instead of only 1 pick per round, would prefer that next pick is only allowed 10 picks after the last... So Jed Walter was picked at 4 which means no picks for Suns till pick 14. Would mean they missed out of Ethan Read but got the next guy and then missed out on Graham.

I am also supporting of teams being given points to bid and if teams don't have points left over then they pick based on draft order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a typically inept afl way of introducing a change.

Rejoice in Richmond’s misfortune if you like, but it is grossly unfair and totally unprofessional by the afl to make changes to a highly sensitive aspect of every club’s strategic planning in such a rushed manner without due notice.

It’s pathetic.

We should be pushing hard too.

Fortunately Lethlean seems to be making progress by calling in a few favours with some old mates at AFL house.
He hasn’t been there this year.

Shai Bolton - what would it take?

I don't feel sorry for Richmond - sure they had a strategy in place but they totally overcommitted to it.

The AFL changes rules and interpretations all the time. They've been doing it for long enough that putting any eggs in a basket like that is dumb.

It we had ditched Meek at the end of last year because Ned Reeves was killing it before the ruck rule changed it would be bad list management. If we stockpiled first round picks next year and they all got pushed back because Tassie suddenly got pre-access to the top 10 picks it would be an overcommitment to a strategy and it would be dumb of us to do that.

The AFL is always changing father/son and academy rules. I don't like that they do - and I don't like that they've done it midseason - but it's loser talk to be angry at the AFL instead of your own clubs overcommitment to something like this.

Richmond just needs to get their legal team in the AFL’s ears. The concept of the draft entirely could be challenged in the courts. Tell them to make the changes after this season or you’ll take it further. The AFL would back down fairly quickly if a club as big as Richmond did that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back