Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, I follow Lana Rhoades and unfortunately that doesn’t mean I’am half a chance. We all just hope by doing so we’re in the running.
Don't sell yourself short
Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

I get many players can go well past 34 these days - but I would be bloody wary offering any 29 year old a 5 year deal. I guess you have to do what it takes to get the target sometimes - but that is a massive risk.

I get many players can go well past 34 these days - but I would be bloody wary offering any 29 year old a 5 year deal. I guess you have to do what it takes to get the target sometimes - but that is a massive risk.

With our cap space, you would just pay him over 3 years and get last two nearly free wouldn't you? Then if it all goes wrong after 3, you can just delist / retire him with minimal penalty.

I think if we made sure we front loaded a significant portion of the deal I would be more on board with the 5 year deal (if true). If form falls off a cliff or injuries strike, at least the cap portion would be greatly reduced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they missing the story on that Barrass article? Hickmont in Perth for private matter and happened to end up having lunch and talking to a West Coast player. The story they go with is Barrass to Hawks, when to me it sounds like he's in Perth for discussions to be West Coasts head coach.

As far as I’m aware they haven’t even started interviewing yet, I very much doubt he’s then trying to persuade Barrass to do anything without assurances that the job was his. At this very moment he’s a Hawthorn man.

On Sunday, Hawthorn assistant coach Adrian Hickmott was in Perth for a private matter and caught up with Barrass for fish and chips at Peter's By The Sea in Scarborough.

Hickmott was Barrass' defensive coach from 2015-17 and the two have remained close, as have Sam Mitchell and Barrass from their time at the Eagles together.

Then on Wednesday morning, Hawthon officials met with Gieschen, who is a high profile agent at Connors Sports Management. It was at this meeting that the Hawks reaffirmed their interest in Gieschen's star client.

The Dogs, who are still seen as the frontrunners, are offering four years and would increase the deal to five seasons if push came to shove.

Hawthorn has money, but it's doubtful they would offer a deal as long as five years to a player who is 29 in October. The Dogs aren't as flush with cash, primarily because they need to have enough to satisfy out of contract trio Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards and Sam Darcy within 14 months.

Are they missing the story on that Barrass article? Hickmont in Perth for private matter and happened to end up having lunch and talking to a West Coast player. The story they go with is Barrass to Hawks, when to me it sounds like he's in Perth for discussions to be West Coasts head coach.

If he was chatting to the Eagles it would be public knowledge pretty quickly. Sam was on radio today saying West Coast should be talking to him or Hale. Dare say if he was over there for the reasons stated it wasn't smoke and mirrors.

Hoping Hick is one of those blokes who just loves being an assistant as I want him to stay put with Sam!

It is a bit of money tied up in him, but you'd make sure the final years were lower paid and conditional on him playing games.

Personally I love the idea of getting Barrass even on those terms because, at the least, it buys us time. He's the best defender available by a considerable stretch, and it gives us a couple of years to either really develop Blanck or find another young key defender as an understudy.

I think he's a perfect fit for the type of game we want to play, and the position we need to fill.

If the asking price for injury riddled 29 year old Tom Barrass is two first round picks then I pass.

If the trade price was more reasonable I’d like the idea of adding Tom.

If the asking price for injury riddled 29 year old Tom Barrass is two first round picks then I pass.

Still got 5 weeks of the regular season left plus the week off plus the four weeks of the finals before we get much of an indication one way or the other so I wouldnt worry too much, of course there will be talk of him being worth a fortune, the club wouldnt be doing the right thing by themselves if they werent asking for that...the good news is the Hawks will be playing every week except the week off so enjoy it ;)

I don't think it'll be 2 firsts. They will ask for two firsts and we'd say no. We'll offer our first and be rejected I think. I'd guess if a trade happened it would a 1st and 2nd plus a later pick or future pick coming back, or a first and a switch of picks.

Personally I'd be all in on a gun full back, its a huge asset. You have to think about the bigger picture and not one off trade as well. Gaining a free agent in Battle without giving up picks is a bonus, it helps knowing you can pay a bit more in trades. Barrass and Battle is a massive off season. Last year we had a draft of Watson, McCabe, Ryan, Dear... it was an excellent haul. When you add Ginnivan, and D'Ambrossio (still so young), plus Chol, it was almost like we have two off seasons in one with the amount of we brought in that period. We are in a strong position to go hard this year with free agents and trades and be aggressive.

Last edited:

Injury riddled is a tad unfair. West Coast poster here said his back issue won't be problematic for his footy career going forward - he hasn't missed that much with injury since 2017. He has only missed a game this year due to suspension. I agree 2 firsts would be too much to pay based on multiple factors - but his injury past is the least of my concerns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back