Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think he's sitting there going "I was pick 7, I should be getting more games!"? He's not that entitled.

He's a hard worker, he grew up a Hawks fan and has the Coach telling the world that he'll play 200 games for the club. Did you not see Sam's reaction to him post-Collingwood game? I don't think he'd be frustrated at all.
Yeah I did see Sam's reaction after we beat the pies, and I did think the same. We will see I guess!

Since he's come back his last two games have been much improved from his previous attempts and since you ask for a definition his improvement relates to finding targets, hitting targets and better spatial awareness.
As long as he keeps this form up he'll be staying a senior player.
I don't think he has enough impact though. He rarely wins a contested ball and there's very little damage from his possessions.

Wards form reminds me a lot of Andrew Brayshaws at Fremantle over his first 40 games.

Ward has just played his 39th game.
In Brayshaws first 39 games he played a lot of wing and half forward. Averaged 15-20 disposals. 60-70 odd fantasy points. He 'looked good' in patches, but it's hard for a 19/20 year old to break into a well established midfield.

From game 44 onwards Brayshaw has gone on to average close to 30 disposals, 105-110 fantasy points, and is one of the premiere two way running midfielders in the comp.

Not saying Ward will be as good as Brayshaw, but they share a lot of similarities and the club are incredibly confident he's going to push on and become a key cog in our developing engine room.

I don't think he'll be frustrated at a lack of opportunities. He will be frustrated at himself.
Yeah fair comparison, sometimes you forget that we often don't see the best of players until 50-100 games.

If I was going to listen to Robbo's advice on anything, it would be where to pick up a quality kebab
Food doesn't taste the same if your body is soaked in red wine.

Will trust the club but I’m not that excited about giving up a potential top 10 pick for Barrass- West Coast would be laughing
If it was 29yr old KPD from hawks who was disgruntled in a team that was bottom 3 and losing 90% of games and getting hammered week in and out, hawks fan would say late 2nd rounder at best.

Given most hawks fans have started the negotiations at Top 10 pick, I am expecting the trade to be even worse.

How many games would you hope we get from a first round pick?
Either draft or trade.

100?
150?
200?

The average from a mid, round 1 draftee is just 120 games.
It would be less if we traded in 29 year old Barrass.
If he played until 34 and managed 17 games a year, that's 85 games.

I feel like games potential should be a consideration somewhere but it may not be.
Stuart Dew.....

Although we all love the idea of barrass coming, important not to pay too much for a play who realistically will be 29 next season and have maybe 3-4 more years left at a stretch considering the way he plays and how he throws his body at the high ball.

Barrass is only one year younger than Lake was when he came to the hawks.

I'd like to see Barrass come as long as it doesn't cost too much draft capital, this year's 1st rounder + DGB (or even ideally future 1st rounder + DGB and maybe swap our future R2 for their future r3 (hopfully not too much of a downgrade) (EDIT: even this might be overs considering his injury history)

Very good player yes, but would it surprise anyone if his body was cooked at age 31/32 the way he plays the game?
If we won 2 premierships in the next 2 years on the back of him coming to Hawthorn, the condition of his body would be an afterthought.

If we won 2 premierships in the next 2 years on the back of him coming to Hawthorn, the condition of his body would be an afterthought.
100%.

Lake COULD and probably SHOULD have gone on as well. Similar inclusion. Great result that one

He could still be serviceable at 35 all things going well.

A risk we must take

100%.

Lake COULD and probably SHOULD have gone on as well. Similar inclusion. Great result that one

He could still be serviceable at 35 all things going well.

A risk we must take
“It still gives me a bit of trouble in my everyday life. It’s OK when I’m moving but as soon as I’m static I feel like I’ve got a broken back again,” Barrass said.

“It’s a permanent thing and it’s something that I work on from the second I wake up I’ve got to do my mobility and get moving and find a way to come to work.

“But with the physiotherapy and some of the other medical treatments that are available to me, I’m able to get out of bed and get moving and get on with my life mostly,” he said.

“If I do it again I’m certainly in trouble but mate, I’m like you, I’ve got a mortgage, this is my job and I’ve got a family and I’ve got to go to work everyday.

“There’s a point at which I’ll certainly stop trying or have to completely prioritise things (at home) but I’ve got a job.

“I’ve got a role to play and I’m going to do my very best to balance all the balls while I can and if that becomes unmanageable I’ll have to say goodbye.”

This is from Barrass about his back. Doesn’t sound promising at all. I doubt he’d get to 32 let alone 35 given what he’s said above

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to post the same, seems like you were on the Tom Barrass thread too.

For all we know he may "retire" 2 yrs into the contract if it gets too hard.

Eagles fans selling him as all fine and dandy and hawks fans keen to open the flag window seem to ignore obvious risks

View attachment 2065183
Trust that the hawks do the due diligence

Take that expertise over two fan bases trying to justify why not having Barrass next year at their club is a good thing

Mark Robbo suggesting Battle wants to stay a Saint is his “gut feel”
thinking about Robbo's guts and how it feels:

team america vomit GIF

Hmmm.
The post by TylerD I was responding to, which was 'Weddle plays wing", was in itself a response to a post looking at a potential back 6.

That post:
"People assume Barrass automatically pushes frosty out but why couldn’t they play together.
Scrimshaw frost weddle
impey barrass Sicily
Mass IC

People forget how good frosty can be at intercepting and he is quick. That’s a defence that has massive flexibility to play tall and small with nice balance of intercepting and run and carry. That also doesn’t cover Hardwick who can play either end and battle if he comes too. If battle comes I think Sicily would go forward I love weddle in d50 for flexibility but also to give him the most amount of ground to gallop on!"

So, assuming that we bring in the FA/Trades Barrass and Battle, I feel we would be promising them starting back 6 roles.
They're not coming over to compete for a spot in my opinion, assuming their current form shows up when in our colors.

After his current output this season, I also believe Scrimshaw would be a lock in the back 6.

That gives you for suresies: Battle/Barrass/Amon and Sicily/Scrimshaw/Impey with current regulars Frost, Hardwick and Jiath without a spot, as well as the prospect of an Uber exciting McCabe owning the sky in the back half. Not to mention Weddle, who now has to be successful on a wing or find a way to replace a current on-baller.
The on-ballers run deep - Newk, Worpel, Nash and Will Day almost immovable on current form, and Ward, Mackenzie, Finn looking for either ground time or a way in to the 23.
If looking to the forward line then those now-on-the-move backmen need to displace 1 of Moore, Ginnivan, Connor Mac, Dear, Watson, Chol, Lewis, and one of possibly Breust or Gunston.
Who you chopping to allow Dimma a spot or the option of moving Sicily forward?

I guess I was just seeing previous posters not even factoring in Amon, and then when I played the game of positional chairs I too was left wondering because I reckon he's 24KT.

Anyways, wasn't having a go at TD, just making the point that bringing in players in the back half that are sure to play means finding roles for others who have to this point been awesome for us.
I've got the backline looking like this....

Hardwick Barass Scrimshaw
Sicily Battle Impey

Amon - Bench
Weddle - Wing
CJ - Wing
Frost - Back up
Blanck - Back up
Seamus - Back up

This gives us the flexibility to move Hardwick or Sicily forward and back fill with any of Amon, Weddle or CJ.

For everybody on here questioning the recruitment of Barrass is just laughable.

He is a ready made GUN and ready to take us that next step to an earlier Premiership than expected.

Many thinking Battle, Frost and Barrass can't work it definitely can.

Numbers in brackets was their age in the 2014 which was the peak of our era.

FB: Josh Gibson (30), Brian Lake (32), Ben Stratton (25)
FB: Sam Frost (30), Tom Barrass (29), Josh Battle (26)

HB: Mathew Suckling (26), Luke Hodge (31), Grant Birchall (26)
HB: Jarman Impey (29), James Sicily (29), Jack Scrimshaw (25)

Rotating through there was: Duryea (23), Spanger (27)
Hardwick (27), Karl Amon (28)

I agree, effectively FB and CHB for next 4-5 years for a first rounder when we will struggle to fit all our recent first rounders in anyway is great business.

You overlay the consequential improvement with Scrim on the third tall, Weddle on a wing and Sicily doing as he pleases and it is exceptional.

To be honest, my biggest disappointment is for the likes of Frosty, Serong and Blanc who are unlikely to get much of a look-in.
Well said, such a positive flow on effect for the team. Frost will be ready if needed, that's his new job.

Sicily Battle Impey

Amon - Bench
Weddle - Wing
CJ - Wing
Frost - Back up
Blanck - Back up
Seamus - Back up

This gives us the flexibility to move Hardwick or Sicily forward and back fill with any of Amon, Weddle or CJ.
Hey Dipper.... You still need to find a spot for Will McCabe :)

Envision a quicker (slightly shorter) smoother moving mix between Birchall and Scrimshaw, but can actually lock down on speedy forwards AND play off a wing. They called me the silky defender for a reason.
I always envisioned Chris Judd / Brad Sewell hybrid. I'm feeling a little ripped off.

Sicily Battle Impey

Amon - Bench
Weddle - Wing
CJ - Wing
Frost - Back up
Blanck - Back up
Seamus - Back up

So now our AA winger is Waldo.
I'm sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back