Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Battle is a better player.

Can play Barrass's role than can run and spread the ground, something Barras can't do as he sits back in D50. Actually Barrass gets beaten quite easily by players who can cover the ground.

Battle covers a lot of ground and when the team has possession will spread to the wings and push forward, something that suits Mitchell's game plan.
All of what you're describing is down to difference in the defensive strategy between West Coast and St Kilda. Barrass doesn't sit back because isn't capable of covering ground, he wouldn't be getting a game if he couldn't do that. He sits back there because he's anchoring the defence.

Battle is younger, he has more scope for improvement and could (maybe) become a better player, but if I'm thinking we're a tilt for a flag next year then Barrass is the stronger player in a greater position of need. We have Sicily, Scrimshaw, Weddle who can all play the Battle role as well as he can or better - our problem is that we've currently got Frost playing deep against the type of strong marking forwards he's always struggled with. As soon as the ball starts coming in high, Barrass helps us far more than Battle does.

Thanks for refreshing my memory champ.

Would y'all like me to shut up shop this trade period then? Can be done. Say the word my man.
No need to get the shits on!

I didn't think old mates post was nasty, you DID spend weeks telling everyone he was staying at the saints and you DID cam him a coin grabber who was using us.

Its all good. Doesn't bother me. I like all of it.

People need to chill a bit.

Regarding whether to take Barrass or Battle the general consensus is to take both. Years ago I bought
a Brian Eno box set of 12 albums and in each box Eno placed a specific card with a suggestion on it. My
card was "When faced with a choice, do both". This sums up the Barrass/Battle scenario. Smart Guy that
Brian Eno.
Sounds like this be the very likely scenario

I didn't think old mates post was nasty, you DID spend weeks telling everyone he was staying at the saints and you DID cam him a coin grabber who was using us.

You don't think players change their mind at various stages of the process??

If he backflipped and decided to stay, then absolutely we were played for a higher salary to him.

I'm not fn Nostradamus and cannot predict the future FWIW!

Ross has TOTAL control over StKilda.

Oof - the club being run by a stubborn coach who can't recapture a winning game style that works in the modern error. Good luck with that, Saints. Rebuilding when Tassie come into the comp will be fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding whether to take Barrass or Battle the general consensus is to take both. Years ago I bought
a Brian Eno box set of 12 albums and in each box Eno placed a specific card with a suggestion on it. My
card was "When faced with a choice, do both". This sums up the Barrass/Battle scenario. Smart Guy that
Brian Eno.
Yeah, they were copies of the cards he used when working with Fripp in the early 70s.

Both are quality but right now barrass is the better player. I'm really surprised by how underatted he is on here.
I don't think most people here are underrating Barrass. On the face of it most fans would say "Yes" to having Barrass in the starting team in a heartbeat. However, most fans are finding it hard to justify the so called high draft price to pay considering his injury history. The good news is the media and fans doesn't decide the value of a player to a team. If we do hand over our 1st pick for Barrass then we would expect to exchange 2nd rounds with WCE.

Interesting reading the saints board RE Battle. They are seriously unaware how their club has been pathetic for nigh on 60 years and talk of Battle regretting his decision to leave in years to come.

The cold hard truth is- if you want success playing in the AFL and land at St Kilda then you need to leave. History has shown that.
Saints= 1 flag every 60 years
Hawks= 1 flag every 5 years (average)

St. Kilda is experiencing its 2nd longest Premiership drought. Currently at 58 years.

Their longest is 69 years between 1897 to 1966.

They do know how to win the spoon though. With 27. Which puts them in front of North by a considerable distance, who have 15. St.Kilda win the spoon on average every 4.7 years. They are currently on their equal 4th amount of time not winning the spoon. Their best years at not finishing last was between 1925 to 1942 or a total of 18 years. The last time they won the spoon was back in 2014. So are nearly due.

We are experiencing our best run not winning the spoon as the last time we won the spoon was in 1965. A run of 58 years currently.

I certainly didn't mean it to be nasty, just tongue in cheek bit of banter. So apologies if I've upset TylerDurden or other posters who appreciate his contributions like I normally do.

I need to make it clear though, I was not having a go about him thinking Battle would stay at saints, we all get incorrect info or things change. I am completely against the "haha you were wrong" posts. All they do is discourage people from sharing the information they have.

My gripe (which i raised at the time too) was the personal attacks on Battle for "using us" and being a "coin grabber".

This is the last i'll mention of it to avoid derailing the thread. Lets all go back to getting excited about Battle, Barrass, Perryman, Petracca, max gruzewski, Reid, Sheezle and the 3 big fish people haven't mentioned but are 100% done deals in Bont, Cripps and Nick Daicos.

Interesting reading the saints board RE Battle. They are seriously unaware how their club has been pathetic for nigh on 60 years and talk of Battle regretting his decision to leave in years to come.

The cold hard truth is- if you want success playing in the AFL and land at St Kilda then you need to leave. History has shown that.
Saints= 1 flag every 60 years
Hawks= 1 flag every 5 years (average)
Also might I add it took Alan Jeans to coach that team to get that sole flag too… by 1 solitary point 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back