Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards
You may not like it, but our senior coach literally said the above to the media this morning. It isn't heresay or speculation.

I think most of us in the blue and half side of things seem to agree that the media's take on the Barrass stuff is a bit odd.

Pick 14 in isolation is insufficient.We, the fans think so, as does the club.
However, the angst on our side is the belief that Baker is not worth the pick 14 that would've been involved in this trade, irrespective of anything else. Trading Tom Barrass for Liam Baker? Yuck.

Perhaps these mechanisms behind the scenes allow the above to take place though, however that ends up working out? It isn't the dropping of Fat Man that the media believe it is.

Or maybe it does end up being a player for Warner next year, which is also good.

Either way, I don't think it's time to flip the tables and start shooting at each other yet.

This is where it turns to crap, because pick 14 in what everyone is calling a super draft is more than sufficient in our opinion, but nowhere near sufficient in your opinion.

By not taking the original offer, and being too worried about pick 14 going to Richmond, you’ve missed the boat.

A lot of Eagles expecting us to trade both our F1 to land you a decent top 10 pick in this draft for Barrass. Which is just absolute nonsense.

You need the rebuild, pick 14 in this draft will be a good pick, you should have taken it.

If we give up anything more than F1 and F2 now (which we’ve gone and done for this trade specifically IMO) I will be filthy.

I think this is the most probable scenario considering how professional both Hawks and West Cost handle these type of things.
This is an unlikely scenario I would think.

1) As a football follower do you believe Baker holds equal value to Barrass?
2) Do you believe a player under contract holds more value than 1 who is out of contract?

I think WC supporters would be rightly miffed if it was a simple swap and I think those who hold no skin in the game would think likewise

2) Do you believe a player under contract holds more value than 1 who is out of contract?

I think WC supporters would be rightly miffed if it was a simple swap and I think those who hold no skin in the game would think likewise
jog on simon pegg GIF

This is where it turns to crap, because pick 14 in what everyone is calling a super draft is more than sufficient in our opinion, but nowhere near sufficient in your opinion.

By not taking the original offer, and being too worried about pick 14 going to Richmond, you’ve missed the boat.

A lot of Eagles expecting us to trade both our F1 to land you a decent top 10 pick in this draft for Barrass. Which is just absolute nonsense.

You need the rebuild, pick 14 in this draft will be a good pick, you should have taken it.

If we give up anything more than F1 and F2 now (which we’ve gone and done for this trade specifically IMO) I will be filthy.
Nah dude. If he was out of contract maybe, but he isn't.

The issue is you rocketed up the ladder late. Had it been pick 6-8, we would've been sweet. Pick 14 already slips back to pick 18 or whatever after the quirks of the system.

It is what it is. As a fan, I'd be super happy to see Tom Barrass remain in blue and gold.

We’ve been told for weeks it’s not the Eagles problem we only have pick 14 and that we need to find more. Does this only apply to us?

How is it the Hawks problem that you don’t want to pay pick 14 for Baker? Take 14 and get to work, not our problem.

Even if the question didn't have to be asked I have no doubt you'd ask it, repeatedly.
Repeatedly.
Out of curiosity if it was WC wanting a contracted James Sicily what would you want coming in for him?

I’ve never felt more watched than with you three. Every one of my posts gets a flattering little emoji or instantaneous reply. I have an image of the three of you staring vacantly at your phones for my posts like three dogs waiting for their owner to come home. It’s quite sweet.

Re Barrass this pick swap with Carlton seems only to confirm my concerns that two firsts for a 29yr old is insanity. It’s looking like the club is going to make it pick.14 for him which is clever, albeit still a little on the high side for my taste. Let’s just get him and get on with the business of winning that flag in the 2020’s to keep that record rolling on.

Last edited:
I think most of us in the blue and half side of things seem to agree that the media's take on the Barrass stuff is a bit odd.

Pick 14 in isolation is insufficient.We, the fans think so, as does the club.
However, the angst on our side is the belief that Baker is not worth the pick 14 that would've been involved in this trade, irrespective of anything else. Trading Tom Barrass for Liam Baker? Yuck.

Perhaps these mechanisms behind the scenes allow the above to take place though, however that ends up working out? It isn't the dropping of Fat Man that the media believe it is.

Or maybe it does end up being a player for Warner next year, which is also good.

Either way, I don't think it's time to flip the tables and start shooting at each other yet.

The eagles giving pick 14 for Baker isn’t Hawthorn’s problem though.

Hawthorn doesn’t have to give overs for Barrass because the eagles want to give overs for Baker.

14 and a f2 for Barrass and a f3 was a fair deal. West coast need picks to add talented young players, refusing to acknowledge and act on that is why the team is a rabble.

I genuinely have no idea how West Coast plan to convince Harley to stay in 12 months if they go to the draft with picks 3, 26, and junk picks. There wasn’t a group of 19-21yo’s showing great signs this year, only a couple. Adding one doesn’t do much.

You guys really need to get the contract thing out of your head.

You need him gone. You need the picks. He doesn’t want to play for your club.
We really don't though.
a) keep him or
b) sell to one of your eight victorian rivals who may pay the better price.

Option C is he retires out of spite, which he won't do.

We need picks, sure, but pick 14 just didn't cut it - clearly the club felt the same way.

You guys really need to get the contract thing out of your head.

You need him gone. You need the picks. He doesn’t want to play for your club.

He’s your only bit of currency willing to leave, and he’s 30 next year.
We can't pass him up because we promised. We're people of our word unlike the unscrupulous West Cost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve been told for weeks it’s not the Eagles problem we only have pick 14 and that we need to find more. Does this only apply to us?

How is it the Hawks problem that you don’t want to pay pick 14 for Baker? Take 14 and get to work, not our problem.

First up there is no 14

Second - you have got really defensive when I asked a simple question and there was no malice in it - so I'll ask again.

do you think Barass and Baker are of equal value?

I like how some of the WC fans are saying TB shouldn't have asked for more money given he is 29 with a bad back and then say he is worth 2 x f1 and an f2

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are we perhaps really pushing all the chips in and making a play for Bailey smith as well?

It's a good relationship when you're getting bent over. When you stand up for yourself, it becomes troublesome

Correct. They had leverage with the Brockman deal and gave us peanuts. We facilitated an easy trade to help get Tyler back home. He has had some personal issues but is an absolute gun

They are still embarrassed by the Kelly trade which set them back years and somehow thought we would have over two first rounders for TB

First up there is no 14

Second - you have got really defensive when I asked a simple question and there was no malice in it - so I'll ask again.

do you think Barass and Baker are of equal value?

There was a 14. And you should have taken it. That’s my point.

How I rate them is completely irrelevant. They are in no way connected as a Hawthorn list manager, or supporter.

FWIW I rate them both.

I could rate TB at pick 25, and Baker at pick 45, or the other way around, it doesn’t change a thing to me, my club, or my clubs list manager. Liam Baker is your issue.

We lost a 29 year old, IN CONTRACT, Brownlow medalist, for picks 40 + 50.

Correct. They had leverage with the Brockman deal and gave us peanuts. We facilitated an easy trade to help get Tyler back home. He has had some personal issues but is an absolute gun

They are still embarrassed by the Kelly trade which set them back years and somehow thought we would have over two first rounders for TB
Gifted them Mitchell too

Hawks and Eagles are working together to get the deal done.

The pick swap opens up more trade options.

Once the trade is done the Eagles will use the future pick to get Baker.

Tigers will want to spread the rebuild over a few years and won’t care if it’s a future pick they receive.
Nailed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back