Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is also an objectively worse deal for WCE than if they just accepted 14 + F2 for Barass + F3 lmao

Which I think proves were not bad guys being unreasonable, but that WCE are heavily targeting 2025 draft

Take the counterfactual of Barrass for F1 and F2 straight up. They get Baker and the F2 in both scenarios.

Original trade they are left with
This year: pick 3
Next year:

New trade they have
This year: pick 12, Owies (not worth much given circumstances)
Next year: F1 (Carlton or Hawthorn), F3 (their own)

I don't think that's objectively worse. It's hard to say.

Carlton have made out like bandits.
They actually haven’t. Forget Owies who technically was looked at as a DFA by them.

They’ve given up 12, 14 and F2nd for pick 3. In a draft where there are no standouts. If they don’t nail that pick they’ve pretty much traded out of 2 drafts

They actually haven’t. Forget Owies who technically was looked at as a DFA by them.

They’ve given up 12, 14 and F2nd for pick 3. In a draft where there are no standouts. If they don’t nail that pick they’ve pretty much traded out of 2 drafts
They're low on list spots atm and have father sons next year so don't need early picks next year.

If and it would be a big if WC decided to play hardball to get us to pay 2 x 1st rounders then what would be stopping us from walking Barrass to the ND just as the Cats are threatening to do with Smith? We would obviously have to trade back into this draft but just like Smith you'd have to ask without meeting with Barrass and just as importantly doing a physical it would be risky to draft him.

I'm not saying it would pan out this way but if they tried to be unreasonable it could end up being an option and it would be interesting to see the media narrative of how we'd be viewed as opposed to the Cats.
Barass is under contract

Take the counterfactual of Barrass for F1 and F2 straight up. They get Baker and the F2 in both scenarios.

Original trade they are left with
This year: pick 3
Next year:

New trade they have
This year: pick 12, Owies (not worth much given circumstances)
Next year: F1 (Carlton or Hawthorn), F3 (their own)

I don't think that's objectively worse. It's hard to say.
But they could've just traded 3 for two more firsts anyway

The only situation its better is if they're loading up for 2025

Pick 3 will push out to 4, 12 will push out to 14/15. If they finish top four next year picks will end up falling around 18 & 35.

14, 18 & 35 is a pretty bloody good deal to get pick 4 imo.

I wonder if they will trade it or whether they're super keen on Walsh's cousin FOS.

If we give up 2 x 1st round picks for Barrass and justify it by saying we are content with the trade because we brought in Battle via free agency, we end up being the laughing stock.
This reminds me of ‘it’s okay we got reamed on the Chad trade cause we got Scrimshaw for cheap’.

I think Barrass gets done but I wouldn’t be devastated if we walked away from it.

Hahaha, they've suggested Geelong holds all the cards, and Bailey Smith will just engage in a little bit of draft tampering to get to Geelong.

Someone messaged in saying that what they're suggesting is draft tampering.

'Its not draft tampering, he should just' ... goes on to explain draft tampering.

Just saw what's gone down this morning. WTF.

Hawthorn are accused of being trade period bullies for the last week and now West Coast have gone off on their own and given their lunch money to Carlton and wedgied themselves.

And now that they've added another KPD to their list the narrative is now for some reason that they can hold Hawthorn over a barrel for Barrass?

Their bargaining position is worse than before. They're now motivated sellers unless they want to play 3 full backs or keep a disgruntled Barrass in the WAFL over improving their now gimped draft hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha, they've suggested Geelong holds all the cards, and Bailey Smith will just engage in a little bit of draft tampering to get to Geelong.

Someone messaged in saying that what they're suggesting is draft tampering.

'Its not draft tampering, he should just' ... goes on to explain draft tampering.
The media ****ing narrative. **** i hate all the essendon and geelong nuffs in the media

Just saw what's gone down this morning. WTF.

Hawthorn are accused of being trade period bullies for the last week and now West Coast have gone off on their own and given their lunch money to Carlton and wedgied themselves.

And now that they've added another KPD to their list the narrative is now for some reason that they can hold Hawthorn over a barrel for Barrass?

Their bargaining position is worse than before. They're now motivated sellers unless they want to play 3 full backs or keep a disgruntled Barrass in the WAFL over improving their now gimped draft hand.
LOL I was going to use the lunch money scenario.

The have been robbed of their lunch money and now we are the kid sitting in class next to them and now must give our lunch money to them and money we had for the book fair because they spoke shit and got smacked at playtime.

What a world AFLand is

The media *ing narrative. * i hate all the essendon and geelong nuffs in the media

Shits me.

You just know that if Smith had nominated us and we were offering up pick 14, the narrative would be 'the onus is on the Hawks to get a deal done, you shouldn't convince players to join you if you don't have the trade capital!'

If WC want to play hardball and we can't get the Barrass deal done is it really the worst thing? We still end up with 2x firsts and seconds next year, still have a truckload of capspace, still have Battle coming in and Blanck to return.

Eagles end up with an ageing Barrass in a list far less competitive than ours.

We will be fine, no need to be desperate.
Agreed. Whilst it would be nice to get Barras, if they are adamant on 2 x firsts. We simply walk away.

Which you could argue would hurt WC more in the long run. They really need picks to help reduce their age profile with quality young players.

If they stick with Barras, they have McGovern and Barras who will not be a part of their next premiership side, holding both KPD spots and not allowing the next wave of KPD play senior footy. This wouldn't be so bad if it was just 1 helping lead younger players. But it isn't, it's both KPD spots.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go media Go!!!

They can keep looking.

A WCE poster on the Eagles board said it best.

They've already got their F1st in Carlton's giant F1st rammed up their backside.

They are getting two freebies with the Camporeale twins as father-sons. So pick 3 + two good father-sons. It's good business.
I was not aware of this one. It is all starting to make a bit of sense on all the moves. Wouldn't be surprised if Sleepy is involved in all these discussions.

Two Future firsts for Tom Barrass!

WCE are mentally F*cked, what a shambles this is turning out to be by the Eagles and Media included.

I want Barrass as much as the next Hawks supporter but at this point we should just walk away. It's very annoying all those "Good Faith" trades we have assisted others with in the past such as Brockman, Brad Hill, S Mitchell and the rest and all it seemingly has got us is other clubs wanting to bend us over due to their list management mediocrity.

I can't stomach reading others stating WCE are a good professional club from here on, they've officially drank too much of their own bath water.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back