Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It was Buddy
It was Cogs and Whitfield…
Its Over GIF

The spirit it's intended in this case is a claim of absolute certainty.

Say you've heard a rumour from somewhere inside Hawthorn or Stkilda, a manager, a player but don't say that you are certain as even if your sauce is Sam Mitchell who reportedly spoke to battle in the last few days, it could be wrong.

The reason people throw shade is not because someone is wrong it's that instead of sharing the information as dubious 2nd or 3rd hand from sources that may not know themselves, or maybe it isn't even knowable as it's undecided.

People post with such confidence and certainty that it's impossible not to giggle when they are wrong.

But the general context is that someone is passing on information they’ve heard - which should always carry with it the caveat of potentially being wrong somehow. Whether it was right or wrong at the time, or the situation evolves from the time of posting to the official outcome.

Whether it’s a poster sounding certain, or they are just passing on that sense of certainty, I think we can all be aware enough to know that literally nothing is certain at any point until a deal is struck.

For me, any pieces of information are greatly appreciated as I can get excited or dream about the ‘what if’ if it eventually does come to fruition.

I just can’t imagine why there’s a need to shoot the messenger. Sure, some people post in a way thats probably arrogant and dismissive - but to me it just makes their information less credible anyway.

Ash Browne repeated what TD has been telling us regarding Battle.

Said that it’s believed that he can’t bring himself to leave the Saints. Disappointing but I don’t mind seeing that kind of loyalty.
Stockholm Syndrome

I’ve always thought BF should add an “ITK” badge where if mail that you’ve posted and haven’t changed your take turns out right - you get a badge of some sort for each verified rumor.

You could also have it for each incorrect “mail” but just imagine the carnage
I like it

"House of the Knight" vs "House of the Clown" badges

Wow we have gone early this year on the 'pile on the posters good enough to give us what mail they have'.

We have already had one good source of info here no longer post it because of this kind of crap - can we not do it to someone like TD who is the heaviest lifter in trade threads for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's an issue with not having faith in what is being reported, but going into a hypothetical trade thread halfway through the season and complaining about the lack of certainty in list management reporting is pretty crazy to me. If you don't trust the source or the reporting you can just ignore it, or otherwise just join in the hypothetical talk - living and dying by every piece of info reported here for the next 5 months is no good for the soul.

Wow we have gone early this year on the 'pile on the posters good enough to give us what mail they have'.

We have already had one good source of info here no longer post it because of this kind of crap - can we not do it to someone like TD who is the heaviest lifter in trade threads for us.
Every bloody year

Every bloody year

It's maddening. Just take a note of which users you trust/don't trust the info of and move on. It's a trade gossip thread on the internet where players/managers/clubs change their positions frequently - if you are expecting 100% accuracy then you are going to have a particularly bad time.

re Ward, is a talented player but doesn't quite have the height or speed to hurt teams at AFL level, the offset to this is amazing hands/disposal/evasive skills which the coach had, so hopefully this can develop but I'm just not sure it's there.
He’s 183cm so not short, or tall but he’s quick people who suggest otherwise 😂 🫶🏻

I don't think there's a pile on at all, just people highlighting that things are never solid and can change, which is basically what you're saying as well. Think you're being a bit precious.

Just to clarify NR... we're not talking about KeeperLeaguer here are we?

Just to clarify NR... we're not talking about KeeperLeaguer here are we?

Nah, I am referring to someone who still posts but doesn't share their inside info any more because of the vitriol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back