Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If Sleepy Mark and Genius Sam think Perryman is worth chasing because he fills a particular need in a team that is flying over the last couple months then I'm going to trust that he'll likely be a good pick up.

Won't sniff Perryman's level?????
Do you have Perryman AA.....?
If Perryman is that good then Battle is Paul Roos.

For reference, when you're gauging the best the above players will be:
Ward is 20 years old
Bennetts is 19 years old
Serong is 21 years old
Maginness is 23 years old and it's possible he doesn't have another level to get to, but has a special skill I value over the swiss army knife that is HP.

Perryman is 26, and Morrison (26 later this year) is every bit a poor man's Perryman.

For me, he best plays a similar role as CJ
I'll take home grown CJ.
Far more upside as a game changer.
The post was started with saying it is hard to predict development.

Comparing a lot of players in here is like comparing apples and oranges. Different players in different roles. A lot see Perryman as a HB as thats what he does at GWS, when I was working in scouting at AFL Victoria he was a midfielder, who is to say he doesnt come in and play the Finn role but with better disposal?

Ward is an inside midfielder that is being forced to play outside due to other guys currently being ahead of him. Bennetts and Serong are showing a lot of promise but how many players have we thought that of that have just been that in the past?

Guys are recruited because the people who are paid quite a bit of money to do this professionally have made the decision that they will improve a list.

People (not singling you out) always invariably rate their own players higher than the consensus.

Based on purely 2025-2026 period though Harry Perryman will bring more to the side than a guy who is currently not even in the side. Even on that list of players though, Ward is the one that we would be hoping outplays him, however due to being able to play multiple roles, there is no saying it is one or the other. Same with your statement about CJ, they are two different players with different strengths. Where CJ gets him with his run and carry, Perryman has CJ covered with his disposal.

Any argument that a player coming in will keep Finn out of the side is mute since he is keeping himself out of the side due to his skills outside of stopping. Even when they are playing a team with a guy obviously needing to be tagged Finn hasnt come in

Who is to say that Perryman is in the long run going to be better or worse?

Personally I will trust the guys that are studying this years out to get the club in position to improve the roster

Finn is great at his role, however, thats all he can do, if we are hoping he can develop into a forward or a defender there is a lot to work on despite him kicking a few early in the season. He is a defensive minded guy and lists need them but Perryman is able to play every line on the ground, while he isnt lightning quick he makes up for it with football IQ.

As the poster mentioned he has played 119 games in a team that is competing every year and like it or not, the players mentioned are in our VFL side.

I hope you are right that they all become better players than Harry Perryman, however based on what we have seen so far, the money is on maybe one of them getting there

If Sleepy Mark and Genius Sam think Perryman is worth chasing because he fills a particular need in a team that is flying over the last couple months then I'm going to trust that he'll likely be a good pick up.
How many times have we sent a group to go interstate to talk to a guy? Maybe we do it with every guy but its never been reported.

Potentially it is his agent trying to scare GWS into upping the offer but the fact they have gone to that level shows they are serious in the chase

The post was started with saying it is hard to predict development.

Comparing a lot of players in here is like comparing apples and oranges. Different players in different roles. A lot see Perryman as a HB as thats what he does at GWS, when I was working in scouting at AFL Victoria he was a midfielder, who is to say he doesnt come in and play the Finn role but with better disposal?

Ward is an inside midfielder that is being forced to play outside due to other guys currently being ahead of him. Bennetts and Serong are showing a lot of promise but how many players have we thought that of that have just been that in the past?

Guys are recruited because the people who are paid quite a bit of money to do this professionally have made the decision that they will improve a list.

People (not singling you out) always invariably rate their own players higher than the consensus.

Based on purely 2025-2026 period though Harry Perryman will bring more to the side than a guy who is currently not even in the side. Even on that list of players though, Ward is the one that we would be hoping outplays him, however due to being able to play multiple roles, there is no saying it is one or the other. Same with your statement about CJ, they are two different players with different strengths. Where CJ gets him with his run and carry, Perryman has CJ covered with his disposal.

Any argument that a player coming in will keep Finn out of the side is mute since he is keeping himself out of the side due to his skills outside of stopping. Even when they are playing a team with a guy obviously needing to be tagged Finn hasnt come in

Who is to say that Perryman is in the long run going to be better or worse?

Personally I will trust the guys that are studying this years out to get the club in position to improve the roster

Finn is great at his role, however, thats all he can do, if we are hoping he can develop into a forward or a defender there is a lot to work on despite him kicking a few early in the season. He is a defensive minded guy and lists need them but Perryman is able to play every line on the ground, while he isnt lightning quick he makes up for it with football IQ.

As the poster mentioned he has played 119 games in a team that is competing every year and like it or not, the players mentioned are in our VFL side.

I hope you are right that they all become better players than Harry Perryman, however based on what we have seen so far, the money is on maybe one of them getting there

Yeh, no I was just listing a bunch of players in the waiting, some who are HBF ers like Perryman tends to play, or wingers like Perryman tends to play, or forwards like Perryman tends to play. If Perryman comes in to play midfield, maybe that's awesome. I wouldn't stop giving Newk, Worps, Nash, Mackenzie, Macdonald, or Day minutes in the guts to prioritize Perryman. I also think Wardy has a future, but hey, that's just me. Finn is a top 5 stopper in the entire league, and that's a helluva skill to have in the back pocket. Maybe we find a way to utilize him, maybe we don't. Still rate that particular skill higher in potential value to our team than an upper-middling utility.
So if Perri Perri is rotational, his other role has to be HB, Wing, or HF.
Who you kicking out of the team as currently constructed, and with who's waiting in the wings, for Perryman to take a regular 22 spot?
Coz CJ plays HB and Wing, and I prefer him.
I'm not dropping Sicily, Weddle, Scrimshaw, Amon or Impey for him, and McCabe is coming with zero shadow of a doubt.
Not dropping Mass off a wing, that would be insane.
I like CJ better on the other wing, but if you don't think CJ is the answer for us I guess you could swapsies there.
Maybe it's as permanent Back pocket to replace Blake who goes fulltime forward.....not sure.
Look, you can find a way to get him on the field, I just don't think it's any slam dunk that he's a significant improvement for us. I wouldn't have said that 12 months ago, but that's what you get when you have both organic improvement within the list, and some astute trading from outside clubs.
I 100 knew where Ginni was a clear upgrade.
I 100 knew that Chol was a clear upgrade, for god sake we were running Kozi out there.
I 100 didn't know that Mass would take a wing and be a top 15 winger in the league. That's a plus I'm not looking to replace or upgrade.

You like paying 800K for that extra option over what we have on the list currently?
I mean, I don't HATE it. I just can think of a few other positions or players I'd much much much rather target.

Last edited:
We got a lot right as a club but we’ve also had some very lucky misses in our recruiting imo.

McKenzie is on a roll but it was barely 9 months ago that we missed out on sound McKay after a huge effort by Sam and the club - THANK GOD!
I hate to tell u this, but McKay was a miss (big) according to Sam and the recruiting group they really rate him. Whether you do or not is irrelevant and has nothing to do with luck.

Yeh, no I was just listing a bunch of players in the waiting, some who are HBF ers like Perryman tends to play, or wingers like Perryman tends to play, or forwards like Perryman tends to play. If Perryman comes in to play midfield, maybe that's awesome. I wouldn't stop giving Newk, Worps, Nash, Mackenzie, Macdonald, or Day minutes in the guts to prioritize Perryman. I also think Wardy has a future, but hey, that's just me. Finn is a top 5 stopper in the entire league, and that's a helluva skill to have in the back pocket. Maybe we find a way to utilize him, maybe we don't. Still rate that particular skill higher in potential value to our team than an upper-middling utility.
So if he's rotational, his other role has to be HB, Wing, or HF.
Who you kicking out of the team as currently constructed, and with who's waiting in the wings, for Perryman to take a regular 22 spot?
Coz CJ plays HB and Wing, and I prefer him.
I'm not dropping Sicily, Weddle, Scrimshaw, Amon or Impey for him, and McCabe is coming with zero shadow of a doubt.
Not dropping Mass off a wing, that would be insane.
I like CJ better on the other wing, but if you don't think CJ is the answer for us I guess you could swapsies there.
Maybe it's as permanent Back pocket to replace Blake who goes fulltime forward.....not sure.
Look, you can find a way to get him on the field, I just don't think it's any slam dunk that he's a significant improvement for us. I wouldn't have said that 12 months ago, but that's what you get when you have both organic improvement within the list, and some astute trading from outside clubs.
I 100 knew where Ginni was a clear upgrade.
I 100 knew that Chol was a clear upgrade, for god sake we were running Kozi out there.
I 100 didn't know that Mass would take a wing and be a top 15 winger in the league. That's a plus I'm not looking to replace or upgrade.

You like paying 800K for that extra option over what we have on the list currently?
I mean, I don't HATE it. I just can think of a few other positions or players I'd much much much rather target.
The good thing about it is that I am not the one paying it so its easy for me to sit here and say yay or nay but the people charged with the decision have targeted him.

If he comes in and plays over whoever it is that is squeezed out then he is playing because he is making the team better not because of any other reason.

Based on the team from the last week it would be Morrison that isnt in the side if Perryman was already here, however it is an unanswerable question, as players come in some players move on, we dont necessarily know that all these guys we are discussing is still on the list in December

Until there is more clarity count me in the camp of its not my call and I will back in the guys paid to make it.

I hate to tell u this, but McKay was a miss (big) according to Sam and the recruiting group they really rate him. Whether you do or not is irrelevant and has nothing to do with luck.
Yeah hes been very good for the side he went to (refusing to name)

We got a lot right as a club but we’ve also had some very lucky misses in our recruiting imo.

McKenzie is on a roll but it was barely 9 months ago that we missed out on sound McKay after a huge effort by Sam and the club - THANK GOD!
What do you mean thank god we missed out on McKay?
He's had a pretty good year. Would have cost no draft capital. Mitch himself said last Friday he is the one he wishes they had been able to get over the line..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's had a pretty good year. Would have cost no draft capital. Mitch himself said last Friday he is the one he wishes they had been able to get over the line..

Yep, been good for them.

I'm just I was proven right (to this stage) about Esava Ratugolea.
Even if his type was a need, he was never the one.

In Sammy we trust. Meek, Chol, Ginni et al. If Sammy played any role in getting Newc he is even more of a genius. The only concern was the strong interest in Ratagolea. Thank god he chose Port Adelaide.

Mark McKenzie and Andy Collins deserve more credit in each of those instances. Sam has said in the past he lets the recruitment/list management guys mostly run the show - yes he provides input but this isn’t the Clarko Footy Club any more.

Too much salary cap for a defensive player.
I'd rather bank that cash for an attacking player and play Frost/Blanck instead.

I mean it is hard to predict the development of young players but on exposed form i would be confident Perryman will be better than the vast majority of that list. Ward i hope will pass him but who knows, Morrison, Bennett, Serong, Maginness i doubt even sniff the level of Perryman. I'd take him over Seamus currently and need to see a hell of a lot more of Bodie and McCabe before passing on Perryman because of what they may or may not be.

Steady, I am not ready to ride of Finn Maginness yet. Has some great attributes, we just need him to tidy up his disposal.

Worpel has fixed up his disposal, send Maginness on the same training pattern.

Finns two way running is a real asset, especially with 75% DE.

yep, I'm with you, McKay is a beauty.
for a start, if he plays in the round one Hawks side, and not Essendon, we win that game. And the Collingwood and Port games.... so we'd be 11-4. No wonder Sam likes him!!!!
How do we win with McKay? We lost because we couldn't hit the side of a barn up forward. Decent chance that bringing in a new KPD instead of holding steady would make our defence as shaky as our forward line was to start the year.

Last edited:
Steady, I am not ready to ride of Finn Maginness yet. Has some great attributes, we just need him to tidy up his disposal.

Worpel has fixed up his disposal, send Maginness on the same training pattern.

Finns two way running is a real asset, especially with 75% DE.
He works hard and is very coachable, his foot skills aren’t just sub par they are some of the worst in the comp. If after 5 years they are still this poor I don’t hold out much hope of them drastically improving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back