Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Zane Littlejohn‘s comments on him in the VFL break down were pretty brutal. It has been on a few occasions this year. I don’t see us getting much at all for him unfortunately
Can tell they're definitely frustrated with him! I guess they're only frustrated because they know how good he could be.

He's saying that DBG and a first round pick to get the trade done. Not trading DBG for a first.

Yep, but I think what the poster was saying was given the Dogs turned down our offer of 2 X firsts last year the assumption would be that they would ask for at least 2 firsts again this year. And if we offer up a first + DGB that would imply DGB is worth a first round pick.

This has to be my favourite thread on Big Footy

6 months ago when Smith talk started: “he’s a gun, would be a massive get”

Now when he’s a chance to go to the cats: “we don’t need him, he’s not that great. We’d actually be better without him”

I hope we get him for no other reason than to see everyone rate him as the best player acquisition any club has got in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Yep, but I think what the poster was saying was given the Dogs turned down our offer of 2 X firsts last year the assumption would be that they would ask for at least 2 firsts again this year. And if we offer up a first + DGB that would imply DGB is worth a first round pick.
Smith is coming off an ACL. Pick 6 is more than enough and that’s from a neutral observer. They blew trading him at his peak last year, if it’s true that the Hawks offered the Dogs the same picks (5 and F1) that you offered for Harley last year then it’s truly astounding that it wasn’t taken.

Now when he’s a chance to go to the cats: “we don’t need him, he’s not that great. We’d actually be better without him”

I hope we get him for no other reason than to then see everyone rate him as the best player acquisition any club has got in the last 5 years.

So better than Massimo?

If Tyler Brockman stayed we don’t get Ginnivan and if Liam Henry chose us we don’t get Mass and we would have had to give up more in a trade.
Someone let Damien Barrett read this and point and say "THAT'S how sliding doors works you pathetic cretin"

I hope we get him for no other reason than to see everyone rate him as the best player acquisition any club has got in the last 5 years.

Our on field performance, particularly our midfield unit, hasn’t remotely changed in those 6 months either hey.

I'd be open to next years 1st rounder and say a Ward, DGB or even a Worpel and an F2. He's coming off an ACL and hasn't played for 18 months.
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy call eh? With Worp's season this year I wouldn't even go for a straight swap.

I know player ratings aren't perfect but they've got Worp's 19, 23 and 24 seasons as higher rated than Smith's best - and Worp hasn't got an ACL recovery to get through.

1000005195.jpg

We finished bottom four last year and someone like Smith would have drastically improved our midfield, in the time since, our midfield has improved perhaps more than a lot of people could have guessed. I would consider this a major factor as to why people here don’t really see the need to pay a seemingly hefty price for a good to very good midfielder that is coming off an ACL and a good reason as to why they may now prefer someone like Geelong to cough up instead.

I like Smith and would love him at the Hawks but maybe our collateral is better spent on an extremely good midfielder to help ice the cake or even on a different position, whatever that may be.

Crazy call eh? With Worp's season this year I wouldn't even go for a straight swap.

I know player ratings aren't perfect but they've got Worp's 19, 23 and 24 seasons as higher rated than Smith's best - and Worp hasn't got an ACL recovery to get through.

View attachment 2037863
‘Crazy’ is not the word I would have liked to use. You’re a kind person.

We finished bottom four last year and someone like Smith would have drastically improved our midfield, in the time since, our midfield has improved perhaps more than a lot of people could have guessed. I would consider this a major factor as to why people here don’t really see the need to pay a seemingly hefty price for a good to very good midfielder that is coming off an ACL and a good reason as to why they may now prefer someone like Geelong to cough up instead.

I like Smith and would love him at the Hawks but maybe our collateral is better spent on an extremely good midfielder to help ice the cake or even on a different position, whatever that may be.
I don't really buy this, people have been super keen up until all the talk started being him going to Geelong. Fact of the matter is he would without a doubt make us better, he would be a walk up best 22 player and is still so young. I guarantee if he ends up a Hawk people will be praising what a great pick up he is.

I don't really buy this, people have been super keen up until all the talk started being him going to Geelong. Fact of the matter is he would without a doubt make us better, he would be a walk up best 22 player and is still so young. I guarantee if he ends up a Hawk people will be praising what a great pick up he is.
No doubt he would be a walk up start when fit and make us better, but I remember a number of posts being concerned about Smith and his alleged value after it was announced he had done his ACL. Now we add the over all improvement of the team this year, especially the midfield (developing players included) and Smith may not seem as much of a need for us, naturally prompting people to be okay with ‘missing’ on him and spending what we have elsewhere. There may be the ‘bitter factor’ from some posters but a lot of the questioning came when the ACL happened.

Like I said in the previous post, I would love to have Smith at the club, but with everything going the way it is for us this year we may be better off spending on someone that moves the needle more than him and I think this is what a lot the people here are getting at, not ‘Smith is shit because Cats’, barring maybe a few?

Off course everyone will be happy if Smith picks the Hawks for a return of a first round pick. But none of this throw in worpel bullshit. Can people just let this let's trade worpel crap go!!!?? He's replaced Breust for the " ever leaving gun" at the Hawks it seems.
Also, if Smith doesn't come to us, the world WONT cave in. İt never does, well, maybe at least until Judgement Day.

Off course everyone will be happy if Smith picks the Hawks for a return of a first round pick. But none of this throw in worpel bullshit. Can people just let this let's trade worpel crap go!!!?? He's replaced Breust for the " ever leaving gun" at the Hawks it seems.
Also, if Smith doesn't come to us, the world WONT cave in. İt never does, well, maybe at least until Judgement Day.

Particularly this year, Worps has gone to a new level.

His clearance game is as strong as ever - but his big knock against his game, his disposal accuracy and delivery into the forward 50, has improved out of sight.

I love how he has added the low, flat 20m bullet pass to his game now to - so awesome to see him hit up leads straight out of centre clearance with that this year.

Worps is 100% essential to our midfield. This year he's recaptured some of his best PCM-winning form, but also grown and developed in different ways, to when he won the PCM. No trading Worps - he is our engine room. Ward as well still has plenty of growth in him yet, so no trading him either unless it was overs - like, bonkers overs.

Our on field performance, particularly our midfield unit, hasn’t remotely changed in those 6 months either hey.
It’s true.

I was all on board with Smith, pay whatever we need to get it done as I’d love him in our colors, but I can see how he might like the appeal of Geelong who need him more than we do, and if it’s not to be, we’ve put enough runs on the board over the last few years to be confident that whatever or whoever we pivot to (should he instead want to be the face of Geelong’s rebuild, rather then jump on board a club on the rise) that we will almost certainly get it our next and subsequent acquisition right.

McKenzie, McCartney, Mitchell have done a damn good job of building the list so far, I’ll back them in to continue that.

ACL changed everything IMO.
In addition to that, I don't like Smith's ball handling or inconsistent kicking.
For 2x 1st round picks I would want a player to be elite in these fundamentals.

Having said that, he would definitely walk into our team.
I don't even care about the ACL, I don't think the club would either. Players come back from those all the time and lose none of their quality, and he wouldn't be missing any footy for us - I've just always thought he would be a good acquisition but not a star acquisition. There's a lot of talk about him being that really damaging forward of centre mid - at the end of last year he was being compared to DeGoey, Petracca and those guys.

He's more of a Treloar to me. Good player, good accumulator, hard working but a bit of a ball butcher. Kicks some goals but not a lot and can't really rest forward like those other guys can. A lot of people extrapolating from Smith's finals series 3 years ago, which is an error imo.

I don't even care about the ACL, I don't think the club would either. Players come back from those all the time and lose none of their quality, and he wouldn't be missing any footy for us - I've just always thought he would be a good acquisition but not a star acquisition. There's a lot of talk about him being that really damaging forward of centre mid - at the end of last year he was being compared to DeGoey, Petracca and those guys.

He's more of a Treloar to me. Good player, good accumulator, hard working but a bit of a ball butcher. Kicks some goals but not a lot and can't really rest forward like those other guys can. A lot of people extrapolating from Smith's finals series 3 years ago, which is an error imo.
Good comparison, and I agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back