Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a little weird to me that West Coast are dragging this out.

Id say to most neutral observers pick 14 for a good 28 year old KPD with injury concerns is probably spot on the money?

Sometimes I find trade week a bit like that David Attenborough documentary on the Birds of Paradise, lots of jumping up and down and making loud noises to impress
The afl machine wouldn't be spruiking for two firsts if this was 12 months ago when the hawks werent as relevant.

There are a shitload of fans, pundits and reporters who are either oozing salt after this seasons antics, or are shit ****ing scared of them.

Rent free.

We're back.

Sent from my SM-A156E using Tapatalk

The Herald Sun is reporting that Carlton's Matt Owies is looking around for a new club and is seeking a multi-year deal worth between 7 and 8 hundred thousand a year.

As in total contract value over the multiple years? That's the only way that sentence makes sense.

I was clearly making a joke at Owies' expense.
Clap Reaction GIF by Whisky.de

Jack McCrae - 30yo, 3 x All Australian, Premiership player. Media consensus: worth a bag of peanuts and a half eaten pie
Tom Barrass - 29yo, Zero All Australian, Premiership player. Media consensus: Pick 14 plus shitloads more

The Herald Sun is reporting that Carlton's Matt Owies is looking around for a new club and is seeking a multi-year deal worth between 7 and 8 hundred thousand a year.

Who the **** is Matt Owies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack McCrae - 30yo, 3 x All Australian, Premiership player. Media consensus: worth a bag of peanuts and a half eaten pie
Tom Barrass - 29yo, Zero All Australian, Premiership player. Media consensus: Pick 14 plus shitloads more
Jack macrae is fringe 22 at the moment on good coin and the Dogs can move him on. Plays probably the easiest role in the AFL to find (although does it well)

Barrass would walk in to any 22 and plays one of the hardest roles to find in the AFL.

They aren’t comparable

I get a bit sick of this argument, the league IS mature enough already.

Nobody is 'tough guy posturing' outside of argument on bigfooty and idiots on trade radio and the general media filling space.

Nothing the Eagles have said is anything other than playing a straight bat to direct questions which can't be answered.

Most deals DO get done leaving both clubs happy.

Argument on forums don't represent how shit really goes down.

The trope that the league needs to grow up is so tired.

Sent from my SM-A156E using Tapatalk
I wasn’t talking WCE, if you read previous posts of mine you know that I’ve said before that it’s not them, it’s the media.

But you can’t argue the point when you think of how Ess under Dodoro & Freo under Bell & GCS with Cochrane have acted in the past.
They are 3 clubs that MUST win a trade without thinking too much about the person who’s career is in limbo.

You can think different, you can think that’s mature that’s not my concern but I’ve had 2 very good friends who have been in the situation
1 was traded right at the end of trade period, 1 wasn’t.
The toll it took on them isn’t good.
I think both clubs were immature in the way they treated both players.

Jack macrae is fringe 22 at the moment on good coin and the Dogs can move him on. Plays probably the easiest role in the AFL to find (although does it well)

Barrass would walk in to any 22 and plays one of the hardest roles to find in the AFL.

They aren’t comparable
3 x All Australian. Reports he has some sort of beef with Bevo, who, let's face it, has been roundly lambasted all year for strange selections. Easiest role in the AFL? Big bodied midfielders dont grow on trees. Longmire wouldve chewed his arm off to have him sitting on the bench

3 x All Australian. Reports he has some sort of beef with Bevo, who, let's face it, has been roundly lambasted all year for strange selections. Easiest role in the AFL? Big bodied midfielders dont grow on trees. Longmire wouldve chewed his arm off to have him sitting on the bench
One paced accumulating midfielders are easily the easiest player to find I. The AFL. I have a lot of time for Jack who has been great, but the values aren’t at all comparable.

I actually don't mind this. But I'd imagine the Players Association would and would argue its restraint of trade.
I do get why because it’s the AFL, but the problem with free agency compo is that the usually strong receiving club don’t give up anything except cap space which is easy to manipulate. Why not simply make FA like father son or academy players? Calculate the pick value and that becomes the sending clubs bid, then the club match that value like they would for a bid. This relies on the mooted tightening up of the DVI to remove junk points from junk picks coming in. In that way the sending club get decent pick or picks, the receiving club get sole access to the player who nominated them but they have to pay with draft capital. Would also stop these inflated contracts for average players because they avoid using picks as well. I get they will argue potential restraint of trade and it is a little but I think that is worth it to make things fairer.

One paced accumulating midfielders are easily the easiest player to find I. The AFL. I have a lot of time for Jack who has been great, but the values aren’t at all comparable.
Theyre comparable in the following ways - both same age and very similar amount of experience. Yes, one's a defender and one's a mid, that's obvious. I'm not trying to compare a trapeze artist with a lion tamer, but both are essential components of a circus. Capiche?

Theyre comparable in the following ways - both same age and very similar amount of experience. Yes, one's a defender and one's a mid, that's obvious. I'm not trying to compare a trapeze artist with a lion tamer, but both are essential components of a circus. Capiche?
Except Macrae isn’t an essential part of the circus, in fact he is touring with them but only making an appearance right at the end in the background. That’s the point.

One is a pretty rare and hard to find act. The other can be find on most street corners who can do at least 80% of the job. That’s why the value is so far apart.

I do get why because it’s the AFL, but the problem with free agency compo is that the usually strong receiving club don’t give up anything except cap space which is easy to manipulate. Why not simply make FA like father son or academy players? Calculate the pick value and that becomes the sending clubs bid, then the club match that value like they would for a bid. This relies on the mooted tightening up of the DVI to remove junk points from junk picks coming in. In that way the sending club get decent pick or picks, the receiving club get sole access to the player who nominated them but they have to pay with draft capital. Would also stop these inflated contracts for average players because they avoid using picks as well. I get they will argue potential restraint of trade and it is a little but I think that is worth it to make things fairer.
It sounds complex and will likely get gamed.

I'm against any compensation altogether, but if we have to have it, just take 1st round compo off the table altogether.

While we are on it, remove the 20% discount for academy and f/s picks. Priority access is reward enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back