Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't remember which thread it was but at the start of the 2023 season I was having a back and forth with a Tigers poster and I flat out told him that Taranto + Hopper would end up being their very own version of what Mitchell + JOM ended up being for us which was a failed top up for one last hurrah.

IMO it is becoming apparent that as important as it is to be able to put a contending list together it is just as important to have the big wigs recognise when the time is right to knock it all down and start again. I'm sure some will disagree with me but the Mitchell, JOM + Wingard acquisitions put us in an almost 10 year finals hiatus.

Time will tell if the route Richmond works out for them with the bounty of 1st rounders they're going to obtain and there's every chance that they too end up having a 10 year finals hiatus but if I had to choose between their list demographic and Collingwood's I know which one I'd prefer.

One thing that is for sure is that Taranto, Hopper, Balta and Nankervis will be their tank commanders 😂 😂 😂
I disagree, in that Wingard, Mitchell, O'Meara, Tarranto and Hopper were all young enough to give good service to the new clubs for 6-8 years or more.

Mitchell and O'Meara have played 8 seasons since the trade and are going into their 9th. Wingard played 6 for Hawthorn and retired to injuries.

To me that isn't Top up for a last hurrah.

Clarkson viewed it as a rebuild and is why Sam Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge were moved on. And Lake told to retire. It was just a different approach as we didn't have access to the top end of the draft we went for players that were already proven at AFL level and about to enter their prime.

If you think about the reasons 2017-2021 weren't successful it there were many reasons but Clarkson knew midyear in 2015 that it was the end of the era. He knew they were dropping off but he owed it to them to try for 4 in 2016. But he was rebuilding that year with young players like Sicily breaking into the side. He just didn't want to go down for 4 years waiting for draftees to turn 22 and start their prime years, he went after 22-24 year olds. It failed, but it could have worked if we didn't stuff up some of the other decisions (vickery, scully, patton, coniglio) We also had Rougheads cancer, Mitchell broken leg, stratton falling off a cliff, rioli retire at 28.

Another club will try it and it will work.

that is a talented group. Throw in Serong, Mitchell, McCabe and Ryan (assuming they keep an upward progression, and we have more than 10 AFL standard players who could run through the backline.

Provides for great coverage and player flexibility to throw around. I can't see Weddle playing back too much unless for matchups.

I'd also like to see what Mitchell can do further up the ground. He plays/runs a bit like Wilmott from lions when in form IMO. Exciting times ahead.

Edit: plus Frost and possibly Blanck.
And Day and CJ.

Not sure we will see it in our lifetime but cant wait for the days when players have no say over movement

Go where they are told similar to many other sports

Probably need base salaries closer to 500k though for the AFLPA to agree to this change

We're not mature enough.

I love the NFL approach to trading where a top 10 pick if offloaded for a 7th rounder after 12 months. Love it

Not sure we will see it in our lifetime but cant wait for the days when players have no say over movement

Probably need base salaries closer to 500k though for the AFLPA to agree to this change
AFLPA won’t ever allow that in a CBA unless salaries go through the roof

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When does the trade period end? When is it worth tuning in for..
Ends Wednesday, so tune in very late that afternoon.

It absolutely staggers me that people listen to trade radio or keep refreshing the AFL app to read “Nothing has happened in the last 48 hours but there is plenty going on behind the scenes”

Last edited:

Tbf the largest sport in the world doesn't do it that way. It's never going to happen, it's a workplace and players should be free to choose where they work.

Trading could be done in two days.

Everyone enters together and put forward what picks and who they have for trade. It all gets entered into ChatGPT that comes back with an 18 club mega trade. Everyone goes home, informs the players, they come back the next day to agree.

(I am joking, slightly)

Trading could be done in two days.

Everyone enters together and put forward what picks and who they have for trade. It all gets entered into ChatGPT that comes back with an 18 club mega trade. Everyone goes home, informs the players, they come back the next day to agree.

(I am joking, slightly)
Or each club nominates a delegation of 3-5 BigFooty posters, who work on it from August - October.

BigFooty working group submits draft proposals to AFL delegation mid-October.

AFL has 12hrs to ratify draft trades.

Keep the clubs out of it - they just over complicate sh1t & seem to have no idea how to value players.

We're not mature enough.

I love the NFL approach to trading where a top 10 pick if offloaded for a 7th rounder after 12 months. Love it

Why though? What makes it better or more 'mature'?

Australia is very different to America and Europe.

You are combining lower wages by comparison (at the elite level) and a land mass far more spread out.

It isn't necessarily reasonable IMO to force a 22 year old to move from Sydney to Perth (as an example) with no say in the matter, especially if the player is contracted.
And unlike in those countries and continents, a players wage doesn't automatically cover his partner or his family. I'm sure there are some WAGS happy to give up their own careers if their partner is on $1m plus. Not so much if it's a player on less than half of that.

I'm of the view that if a player is sighting homesickness as a reason for a trade request then they shouldn't be able to nominate a specific club.
If that's your reason then the club you land at shouldn't matter. This would help the club trading the player get the best possible.
Dan Houston would be in North colours next season and Port would be receiving a far better return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back